Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to Care for your troubled skin

Did you know that chin and jawline breakouts are often related to excessive dairy in your diet? Here's helpful information to getting your breakouts under control.

Understanding Problem Skin

Acne is caused from several factors. First you start with clogged pores (ostiums). Then, excessive amounts of "sticky" oil (sebum) backs up in the pores (follicle). When bacteria feeds on this sebum, you get inflammation. The resulting blemish is the body's attempt to fight off theinvasive bacteria. Perhaps acne is genetic, but no one really knows why one person may get acne, while another may not. What you need to understand is that controlling acne is just like maintaining your weight. You don't just go to a weight-loss clinic, lose a few pounds and then go back to eating anything you like. Acne is the same way. It requires constant care and discipline. But, at Renee Rouleau, we'll devise a plan that can easily fit into your lifestyle!

1 . Never use a bar of soap on your face.

The binders that hold a bar of soap together are in an alkaline base (high pH balance) which will strip all the water and natural oils out of the skin, causing the surface of the skin to dehydrate. When you create this layer of dry cells, you will actually break out more since the oil then stays trapped and clogged underneath the surface of the skin.

2. Avoid using toners that contain SD Alcohol 40.

Many people like the "clean" and "tight" feeling associated with using alcohol on the skin, but this ingredient will strip the skin of water, which results in dead cell build up. Trying to dry up oily skin can backfire, as stripped cell buildup traps oil and leads to breakouts. Toners without alcohol, on the other hand, are very important for keeping the skin cells moist with water.

3. Try to avoid too much stress.

The #1 aggravator of acne! A hectic lifestyle can stir up even more break out. Take up a hobby that brings some relaxation into your life.

4. Drink hot lemon water first thing in the morning.

Squeeze fresh lemon into hot water and drink when you wake up. This will help flush out and purify the body internally, reducing toxins, which can cause skin sensitivities. Great for break out!

5. Drying out your skin=more breakout.

Be cautious with over-the-counter acne products. Although these can work to dry up the actual blemish, when used all over the face they can trap the oil in the pores by causing dead skin cell buildup.

6. Avoid dairy products if your skin is prone to breakouts.

Many people have heard that greasy foods and chocolate cause breakouts. In our experience, when the breakout is cyst-like in the chin and jawline area, most often it is related to too much dairy in your diet. Try cutting out the cheese, milk, ice cream, and frozen yogurt and watch your skin clear up!

7. Limit your intake of orange juice.

If your break out most often occurs on your cheeks, it may be from too much acidic foods in your diet. The acidity from orange juice, oranges, tomatos, spaghetti sauce and lemonade may be the culprit!

8. Don't try to scrub away acne.

Wash cloths, buff puffs and aggressive scrubbing tend to aggravate the problem by allowing bacteria deeper into the skin, which will cause further irritation. Many apricot and almond based facial scrubs have sharp edges which can lacerate the skin, causing bacteria to spread.

9. Always wash your skin and moisturize at bedtime.

It's easy to get lazy about washing your makeup off at night, or skipping moisturizer thinking that you are "letting your skin breathe." To keep skin in top condition it is essential that you cleanse thoroughly at night. Removal of dirt, oil and makeup followed by an oil-free moisturizer is essential for properly encouraging healing, which occurs while you sleep.

10. Avoid panthenol in your hair products.

If you are prone to breakouts around your hairline or back, do not use any hair care products containing panthenol. This is great for strengthening hair, but it can cause break out for some people.

11. Don't pick at your skin.

We know it's tempting, but you can make problem skin much worse by forcing bacteria deeper into the skin, resulting in scarring and further breakouts. A better solution for problem skin is a regular facial schedule, where your pores can be cleaned professionally.

12. Clean your cosmetics brushes once a week.

Bacteria and oil can buildup on your cosmetic brushes, which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Using a mild liquid dish soap and cold water, carefully wash out your brushes and rinse thoroughly. Comb the bristles to prevent tangling. Stand brushes upright in a glass to let dry. Or better yet, try our Brush Wash!

13. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Sleep is not only important to keep dark circles at bay, but it is also the time when your body is most metabolically active, ridding itself of toxins which would otherwise wreak havoc with your skin. Sleep also reduces stress, the #1 aggravator of acne!

14. Change pillowcases nightly.

For problem skins, bacteria and oil can buildup on your pillowcase and be reintroduced to your skin the following night. Invest in a nice stack of pillowcases and make sure you wash them with a dye and fragrance-free laundry soap.

15. Take chelated zinc.

Studies indicate that zinc contains acne-fighting ingredients by reducing the production of sebum, while accelerating the repair process. Think of it as a natural antibiotic! We suggest taking chelated zinc tablets 3 times a day.

i heard too much zinc will make you acne WORSE! Any truth to that?

I think i believe it cause i took 4 one day and i broke out like crazy the following days. BUT it could be that i ate alot of dairy and i had too much stress that whole week. I dont know....

i heard too much zinc will make you acne WORSE! Any truth to that?

I think i believe it cause i took 4 one day and i broke out like crazy the following days. BUT it could be that i ate alot of dairy and i had too much stress that whole week. I dont know....

i dont drink milk, and i hardly ever eat cheese, but yet i get acne on my jawline. i was told acne there is caused by stress.

Check out the rest of your diet.  Do you eat any refined products such as crackers, breads, buns, chips, cookies, cereal?

How to Care for your troubled skin

Did you know that chin and jawline breakouts are often related to excessive dairy in your diet? Here's helpful information to getting your breakouts under control.

Understanding Problem Skin

Acne is caused from several factors. First you start with clogged pores (ostiums). Then, excessive amounts of "sticky" oil (sebum) backs up in the pores (follicle). When bacteria feeds on this sebum, you get inflammation. The resulting blemish is the body's attempt to fight off theinvasive bacteria. Perhaps acne is genetic, but no one really knows why one person may get acne, while another may not. What you need to understand is that controlling acne is just like maintaining your weight. You don't just go to a weight-loss clinic, lose a few pounds and then go back to eating anything you like. Acne is the same way. It requires constant care and discipline. But, at Renee Rouleau, we'll devise a plan that can easily fit into your lifestyle!

1 . Never use a bar of soap on your face.

The binders that hold a bar of soap together are in an alkaline base (high pH balance) which will strip all the water and natural oils out of the skin, causing the surface of the skin to dehydrate. When you create this layer of dry cells, you will actually break out more since the oil then stays trapped and clogged underneath the surface of the skin.

2. Avoid using toners that contain SD Alcohol 40.

Many people like the "clean" and "tight" feeling associated with using alcohol on the skin, but this ingredient will strip the skin of water, which results in dead cell build up. Trying to dry up oily skin can backfire, as stripped cell buildup traps oil and leads to breakouts. Toners without alcohol, on the other hand, are very important for keeping the skin cells moist with water.

3. Try to avoid too much stress.

The #1 aggravator of acne! A hectic lifestyle can stir up even more break out. Take up a hobby that brings some relaxation into your life.

4. Drink hot lemon water first thing in the morning.

Squeeze fresh lemon into hot water and drink when you wake up. This will help flush out and purify the body internally, reducing toxins, which can cause skin sensitivities. Great for break out!

5. Drying out your skin=more breakout.

Be cautious with over-the-counter acne products. Although these can work to dry up the actual blemish, when used all over the face they can trap the oil in the pores by causing dead skin cell buildup.

6. Avoid dairy products if your skin is prone to breakouts.

Many people have heard that greasy foods and chocolate cause breakouts. In our experience, when the breakout is cyst-like in the chin and jawline area, most often it is related to too much dairy in your diet. Try cutting out the cheese, milk, ice cream, and frozen yogurt and watch your skin clear up!

7. Limit your intake of orange juice.

If your break out most often occurs on your cheeks, it may be from too much acidic foods in your diet. The acidity from orange juice, oranges, tomatos, spaghetti sauce and lemonade may be the culprit!

8. Don't try to scrub away acne.

Wash cloths, buff puffs and aggressive scrubbing tend to aggravate the problem by allowing bacteria deeper into the skin, which will cause further irritation. Many apricot and almond based facial scrubs have sharp edges which can lacerate the skin, causing bacteria to spread.

9. Always wash your skin and moisturize at bedtime.

It's easy to get lazy about washing your makeup off at night, or skipping moisturizer thinking that you are "letting your skin breathe." To keep skin in top condition it is essential that you cleanse thoroughly at night. Removal of dirt, oil and makeup followed by an oil-free moisturizer is essential for properly encouraging healing, which occurs while you sleep.

10. Avoid panthenol in your hair products.

If you are prone to breakouts around your hairline or back, do not use any hair care products containing panthenol. This is great for strengthening hair, but it can cause break out for some people.

11. Don't pick at your skin.

We know it's tempting, but you can make problem skin much worse by forcing bacteria deeper into the skin, resulting in scarring and further breakouts. A better solution for problem skin is a regular facial schedule, where your pores can be cleaned professionally.

12. Clean your cosmetics brushes once a week.

Bacteria and oil can buildup on your cosmetic brushes, which can lead to clogged pores and breakouts. Using a mild liquid dish soap and cold water, carefully wash out your brushes and rinse thoroughly. Comb the bristles to prevent tangling. Stand brushes upright in a glass to let dry. Or better yet, try our Brush Wash!

13. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

Sleep is not only important to keep dark circles at bay, but it is also the time when your body is most metabolically active, ridding itself of toxins which would otherwise wreak havoc with your skin. Sleep also reduces stress, the #1 aggravator of acne!

14. Change pillowcases nightly.

For problem skins, bacteria and oil can buildup on your pillowcase and be reintroduced to your skin the following night. Invest in a nice stack of pillowcases and make sure you wash them with a dye and fragrance-free laundry soap.

15. Take chelated zinc.

Studies indicate that zinc contains acne-fighting ingredients by reducing the production of sebum, while accelerating the repair process. Think of it as a natural antibiotic! We suggest taking chelated zinc tablets 3 times a day.

I'm currently using Carley's soap bar is that bad? i'm going to be switching to Burts Bees tomato complexion soap soon as well as adding the tomato toner which has the SD Alcohol 40 as its 1st ingredient!!

Also adding these will help I THINK:

B-complex pills (Take 1-3 a day)

Flax seed Capsules (Take 3-6 a day)

Zinc (1-2 a day)

These would help GREATLY!!

Vitamin E as well but i heard taking too much can cause cancer and other infections

yes i do eat alot of that stuff, there is no way i would ever give it up, not even for perfect skin. life without eating good food would be way too crudy.

Minnym0use you say not to use any bar soaps, and no over-the-counter acne stuff. Do you suggest we shouldn't use a cleanser to wash our face then? If you do recommend using one could you please explain what kind of cleanser it should be? Thank you in advance.

Please note I do not have what you'd call cystic acne, just your usual pimples around my chin/mouth and a bit on the jawline. I have already tried, diet doesn't seem to effect me.

Minnym0use you say not to use any bar soaps, and no over-the-counter acne stuff. Do you suggest we shouldn't use a cleanser to wash our face then? If you do recommend using one could you please explain what kind of cleanser it should be? Thank you in advance.

Please note I do not have what you'd call cystic acne, just your usual pimples around my chin/mouth and a bit on the jawline. I have already tried, diet doesn't seem to effect me.

I eat alot of oranges and tomatoes, I don't think that cause breakout because for me I think it lessens break out. If you think too much acid in your body causes break out , how about lemon being good for your skin??

Soy isn't dairy, but watch out for added things in it like oils (believe it or not) and sugars.  Often, sugar is disguised by using other names.

Do you have to have soy milk?  What are you using it for?