Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antony

Erythromycin oral antibiotic: Is this a JOKE?!

It seems to me that erythromycin in the form of an oral antibiotic is a complete joke.

I don't know ANYONE for whom it has ever worked.

Bear in mind I am not talking about topical applications of erythromycin but only taking it orally, usually in prescribed doses of 500-1000mg/day.

What's more, it seems that in almost all cases it actually makes your acne worse if anything for at least several weeks, after which it either doesn't do anything or only very slightly and gradually begins a negligible improvement.

Does anyone have any personal experience or familiarity with oral erythromycin and would care to comment?

Hi, I was prescirbed this along with bp 2.5% gel last week. I'm taking 500mg twice daily. I'm hoping it'll work but I'm having my doubts! I don't have severe acne just mild really. How about you, how long have you been taking it? I'm not much help as I've just begun taking it I suppose.

I haven't taken this, but I'm pretty sure it won't do much. The "-cycline" family of antibiotics are the more effective oral antibiotics for acne. But almost everyone experiences their acne come back worse after a round of antibiotics and a grace period of a couple clear months.

I take it you were unsuccessful at getting your Accutane prescription reinstated? Is your face still clear like it was a couple weeks ago?

Mae

Erythromycin did work for me for about.. hmmm about 6 months but then i became resitant to it and my acne came back wrose than ever sad.gif

No I went to another derm at a cosmetic surgery clinic who did not hesitate to prescribe me Accutane, especially as I was starting to break out after my temporary clearing the other week. I had my previous 3 derms all fax him my treatment history so everything was above board. This derm was practically throwing Accutane at me. He said, "Hey, I understand your situation completely: look, as a guy you can't get pregnant, so between us that's my biggest issue taken care of, and you've had acne for ten years despite three different antibiotics and all these topicals, and even though it's mild on the face I can see that you get cystic acne on your upper back and also you've got some scarring on your face. It's definitely time for Accutane."

I'm starting on Friday.

I told him that I was concerned about minimizing the initial breakout (my acne is currently mild on my face) and that I still had several weeks' worth of ERYTHROMYCIN oral antibiotic left over from my previous derm's prescription. I pointed out to him that this is the one acne antibiotic safe to take with Accutane and that it is occasionally prescribed alongside Accutane in the first 6 weeks or so to help minimize the initial breakout. I asked him whether it would be a good idea to keep taking the erythromycin for about the first month or so of Accutane, just to get past the breakout, and he said yes.

So I've been taking erythromycin for a week now and will continue to take it for the next month into my Accutane course.

Thing is, I'm seriously thinking of just dropping the erythromycin, as not only do I think it won't help minimize my initial breakout on Accutane, but I believe that it is almost certainly even making my acne worse and will continue to do so in the coming weeks.

I first wanted to get a consensus of what other erythromycin users have experienced.

And so far it appears that my skepticism about it is well-founded.

Well oral erythromycin along with Benzoyl Peroxide made a noticeable improvement to my acne, but nothing life changing. The second time I was on it I used it with Benzamycin for 6 months and after about 2 months it cleared up quite a bit and I was relatively content, although it still wasnt perfect. The third time I went on it though it didnt seem to do anything

It isn’t a joke but it really isn’t effective for most people. I read a report a few weeks ago that explained that more people have an immunity to erythromycin than not and for those that don’t shortly develop it after taking the drug. It is what a is. An antibiotic that dermatologists will use in order to try to combat acne before or after trying a series of different drugs. I think something like sixty percent of people have no results from the drug.

My experience with the drug was spent puking. I had to take it three times a day and, even with food, it didn’t prevent the nauseous feeling. I was taking it along with the course of Accutane but found that Prednisone worked much better at dissolving my cysts even though one would think a bacteria-killing pill would have done a better job.

i did erythro + BP several years ago when i had MILD acne (3 pimples and i was running to the derm...ahh, the good ol' days...). it worked for a year. then i started all over again.

congrats on finally getting Accutane.

PS i dont think you really need to worry about an initial break out -- sounds like the acne on your face is minimal so you might just clear from the start as many of my friends in similar situations did.

I saw initial improvements with every antibiotic i've been on until i got immune to them eXCEPT Erithromycin. Took this for 3 months and seemed like the most ineffective thing i've been on. Can't say my acne got worse because of it but it certainly didn't help while other things did especially on my first try of them like Tetra and Minocycline.

That's my experience with it.

erythromycin doesn't work for a lot of people. but then again, many ppl take it after becoming immune from a course of tetra/mino/etc/cyclines.

americancrewmc: i would really hate for people to think that my regimen has no credibility because the guy preaching it ended up taking accutane anyway... my regimen cleared me up to the clearest skin i had since before puberty but then i got so busy travelling and doing so many things that i couldn't follow it so closely, and gradually i began breaking out again. taking accutane has been a tough and personal choice only made after months of deliberation, and i've finally followed through in the last few weeks with the tests and everything.

i really want people to know though that my regimen ACTUALLY does work, and indeed any little component of it, whether the diet or cleansing regimen or supplementation routine or fast and flush or any of it really, WILL show results for anyone with mild to moderate acne.

I will actually continue following it as closely as is practical for my general health and skin health both during and long after accutane. however, it's come to a point where i need to be able to control my skin in the way that only accutane really can ensure. i really hate to think this makes me seem like an "acne sell-out" or something, and for anyone reading my regimen, please don't think that anything in there won't work for you because it really will and i can't recommend it enough.

karen2906: thanks a lot, i'm really emboldened that i might not have the initial breakout as my acne is admittedly mild right now and so maybe i should just drop the erythromycin, as i'm only taking it to minimize the initial breakout i'm expecting. i might as well drop it because as other here have mentioned it is making me NAUSEOUS, it's destroying my good intestinal bacteria, and it's just making my acne worse.

Thank you all for your valued insights, comments and support.

americancrewmc: i would really hate for people to think that my regimen has no credibility because the guy preaching it ended up taking accutane anyway... my regimen cleared me up to the clearest skin i had since before puberty but then i got so busy travelling and doing so many things that i couldn't follow it so closely, and gradually i began breaking out again. taking accutane has been a tough and personal choice only made after months of deliberation, and i've finally followed through in the last few weeks with the tests and everything.

i really want people to know though that my regimen ACTUALLY does work, and indeed any little component of it, whether the diet or cleansing regimen or supplementation routine or fast and flush or any of it really, WILL show results for anyone with mild to moderate acne.

I will actually continue following it as closely as is practical for my general health and skin health both during and long after accutane. however, it's come to a point where i need to be able to control my skin in the way that only accutane really can ensure. i really hate to think this makes me seem like an "acne sell-out" or something, and for anyone reading my regimen, please don't think that anything in there won't work for you because it really will and i can't recommend it enough.

karen2906: thanks a lot, i'm really emboldened that i might not have the initial breakout as my acne is admittedly mild right now and so maybe i should just drop the erythromycin, as i'm only taking it to minimize the initial breakout i'm expecting. i might as well drop it because as other here have mentioned it is making me NAUSEOUS, it's destroying my good intestinal bacteria, and it's just making my acne worse.

Thank you all for your valued insights, comments and support.

It seems to me that erythromycin in the form of an oral antibiotic is a complete joke.

I don't know ANYONE for whom it has ever worked.

Bear in mind I am not talking about topical applications of erythromycin but only taking it orally, usually in prescribed doses of 500-1000mg/day.

What's more, it seems that in almost all cases it actually makes your acne worse if anything for at least several weeks, after which it either doesn't do anything or only very slightly and gradually begins a negligible improvement.

Does anyone have any personal experience or familiarity with oral erythromycin and would care to comment?

I told him that I was concerned about minimizing the initial breakout (my acne is currently mild on my face) and that I still had several weeks' worth of ERYTHROMYCIN oral antibiotic left over from my previous derm's prescription. I pointed out to him that this is the one acne antibiotic safe to take with Accutane and that it is occasionally prescribed alongside Accutane in the first 6 weeks or so to help minimize the initial breakout.

Zirthromycin as well is something that dermatologists are beginning to use so you might want to look into that too.

I think the thing we need to remind ourselves is that it is all trial and error. What will work for some people, won't work for others. I can't completely dismiss Erythromycin because it has worked for people in the past.

Antony: If you decide to continue with an antibiotic while on Accutane, take Acidophilus - - if you aren't already. Still, if it isn't working for you, what's the point of taking one more pill?

Thank you all for your sharing your experiences with the antibiotic.

americancrewmc: thanks for understanding.

uk guy: sorry to hear all these antibiotics haven't been working out for you.

arpazia: thanks for the tip, yes I'm taking acidophilus, learned the hard way at 18 after extended courses of tetracycline and minocycline and had bowel issues.

to sum up this thread, from which i think i've learned all i need to thanks to all your thoughtful contributions, it seems like erythromycin is probably the weakest of all the antibiotics currently prescribed for acne, with the highest rate of bacterial resistance and the shortest duration of effectiveness.

it seems like minocycline is the most popular among those who've endured several courses of different antibiotics for acne.

i can say from personal experience that when i took minocycline at 19, my skin became clearer within 1 month than it had been throughout all my teenage years, and it remained clear for about 6 months. some people have been cleared by courses of minocycline for almost a year, and that's pretty damned good for an antibiotic approach to acne, dealing as it does with only the bacterial-infection stage within the complex, multifaceted process of acne formation.

the tetracyclines are also very effective.

in conclusion, despite my confirmed skepticism that it is essentially useless for my intended purpose, i will continue with the erythromycin for the next 4-5 weeks and then stop, coinciding as this period does with the first month of my Accutane course, of which I am now on my Day Two. in the event that i do experience something of the oft-lamented initial breakout, the erythromycin should in theory help keep the bacterial numbers at bay.

while acknowledging the likelihood that my P. acnes population is mostly resistant to it, my derm said it is worth continuing the erythro for just the next month, as it should probably help at least somewhat to "boost" the accutane and minimize the breakout.

at any rate, it's the accutane that's doing its thing and the erythromycin while it may be redundant couldn't hurt if i take it just for the next month.

thank you all for your great help.