Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
depressedj

A photo album of my scars taken at various angles.

Please view my album and let me know what kind of scars you think I have, what procedures would be most effective in reducing them, as well as how severe/deep you think the scars are. Your replies (posts) are MOST appreciated! Thanks!

Photo album:[url=http://community.webshots.com/albumXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

P.S. Some of the photo thumbnails may appear to be blank when the page loads, but there are photos under each thumbnail even though some thumbnails appear blank.

P.P.S For some reason the photo captions do not appear unless you're viewing the pictures in slideshow view. The photos which have a caption are titled "Left side--Angle 1," "Left-side temple linear scar--Angle 1," "Right side 1--Angle 1," "Right frontal 1--Angle 1"--please make sure to look at these photos, in particular, in slideshow view.

*CORRECTION*: You do not need to view the pics in slideshow view in order to view the captions; the captions for each image are to the right of the image, mid-way down right next to the scroll bar.

-dj

*ATTENTION* I'VE ADDED A FEW MORE PICTURES TO THE ALBUM THAT HOPEFULLY CAPTURE THE SCARRING BETTER. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK. THANKS.

Photo Album (UPDATED):http://community.webshots.com/albumXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

-dj

*Wipes eyes in disbelief* Are you serious?! Hmm, maybe the link I posted isn't correct, hehe wink.gif . I def. have scars...believe me. I think maybe the quality of the pics can lead to a misleading conclusion, even though I took, like, 100 test pics and only uploaded the ones which captured the scars most clearly. You don't see ANY scars?! Hmm...

What about the rest of you?

Thanks.

-dj

OK, I think I know what it may be...when viewing the photos, you can enlarge and magnify the pics by clicking the link "View Full Size" located right under the image. This enlarges the pics and makes the scars more visible.

Thanks.

WHAT?! I CAN NOT believe this! I DO have scars, dammit! wink.gif If you guys are trying to make me feel better, thanks, but please stop. I can take the criticism. Please. Tamara (and any other board moderators), please post your thoughts about my scars (what kind they are, preferable treatment options, etc.) Please, keep the replies coming.

Thanks.

Haha, thanks, Wikka way (I think).

I think I may have figured out...It's my screen name/handle, isn't it? No, I am not really depressed. I am in a healthy frame of mind and pretty optimistic about my life. I honestly can take the criticism! That is the reason why I posted m pics--to hear what you guys think and recommend! Please, if you can't see the scars, try look harder! wink.gif

I know my scars aren't terribly bad, but they are still there, nonetheless. As much of nuisance as they are, I don't let them hold me back in life. But I still want to improve them. Please comment honestly. Thanks.

Hi Depressedj,

I do see your scars, and I have a similar kind as well as worse ones, too. Mine are also concentrated mostly on my cheek bones, like yours. I think your scars would be classified as ice pick scars - almost as if someone took a sharp ice pick and poked a hole in your skin. I don't see any rolling scars (makes the skin look lumpy or wavy), although you may have a few shallower indents on your left cheek below the cheek bone (although I can't tell this very well from your pictures).

In regard to treatment...you may want to consider a chemical peel, although I don't think this will go deep enough for ice pick scars. You could also check out laser resurfacing for your upper cheeks, although I don't think it would get rid of all your scars either because it generally doesn't go as deep as the ice pick scars. But, it would be better than a chemical peel, IMO. I think laser resurfacing would soften out you skin, making the holes less noticeable, and would also get rid of the shallower scars below your cheek bone on your left side (if, indeed, there are scars there). I had laser resurfacing done about 4 years ago, and this was my experience. I've got some scars leftover, but a lot of them are gone.

What might be a BETTER treatment is TCA CROSS. I am in the middle of considering this and finding a physician who will do this for me. You can read about TCA CROSS on a thread posted on the FAQ board about scar treatments.

I agree with wikka in most respects - your scars do not appear really significant to me. I agree with you that I can see them, but honestly, they are not bad. Probably most people would not notice them a whole lot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, paiir. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Which kind of laser treatment did you undergo?

falnhart and noone, I see you two are reading this thread...You BETTER post a reply! wink.gif

Hello DepressedJ,

I have similar scars and (a similar frustrating situation where the average person insists they can't see any scars). You might want to try having them needled or doing TCA cross ( I can't speak for TCA cross as I haven't tried it) and then a few light peels over a 4-5 month period. I'm trying silicea, but can't say much for it as I just started it...I wish I could help you more. Those are my suggestions for your scars. Very honestly, I did have a hard time looking for them. I picked a few out right away in some of the pictures and none in others... As far as how your skin looks in the pictures (it may be completely different in real life and I am sure it is to some degree), I think you have very nice skin. Also, I really think that over time, say 3-4 years, your scars will diminish even further and may not even be visible to you anymore...wait...how long have you had these scars (I should ask that before making any statemetns, I suppose)?

Good luck!

Kim

***Edit*** Ok, so I have a laptop and I changed the angle a bit and went back to look at the pictures I couldn't see any scars in...and I found them. That doesn't mean that they're prominent or even visible from further than 3 inches away, but with a camera stuck in your face at an angle that highlights every flaw, yes, they are visible. I think needling and chemical peels might really help you. You'll have to go through at least 4-5 months of yucky stressfulness though. I wouldn't suggest laser for you skin color...not to mention it costs somewhere 4,000 dollars and the plastic surgeons are generally working on your face for exorbitant prices that far exceed their needs or even their luxury needs, not to help you. And you can get better results working on your own face considering that you'll give it a lot more attention and be a lot more cautious since it's your face. I have your skin color (maybe a tiny bit lighter) and it hyperpigments and hypopigments ridiculously easy...so be careful. Phew...that was a lot of edit.

Hello DepressedJ,

I have similar scars and (a similar frustrating situation where the average person insists they can't see any scars).  You might want to try having them needled or doing TCA cross ( I can't speak for TCA cross as I haven't tried it) and then a few light peels over a 4-5 month period. I'm trying silicea, but can't say much for it as I just started it...I wish I could help you more.  Those are my suggestions for your scars.  Very honestly, I did have a hard time looking for them.  I picked a few out right away in some of the pictures and none in others...  As far as how your skin looks in the pictures (it may be completely different in real life and I am sure it is to some degree), I think you have very nice skin.  Also, I really think that over time, say 3-4 years, your scars will diminish even further and may not even be visible to you anymore...wait...how long have you had these scars (I should ask that before making any statemetns, I suppose)?

Good luck!

Kim

***Edit*** Ok, so I have a laptop and I changed the angle a bit and went back to look at the pictures I couldn't see any scars in...and I found them.  That doesn't mean that they're prominent or even visible from further than 3 inches away, but with a camera stuck in your face at an angle that highlights every flaw, yes, they are visible.  I think needling and chemical peels might really help you.  You'll have to go through at least 4-5 months of yucky stressfulness though.  I wouldn't suggest laser for you skin color...not to mention it costs somewhere 4,000 dollars and the plastic surgeons are generally working on your face for exorbitant prices that far exceed their needs or even their luxury needs, not to help you.  And you can get better results working on your own face considering that you'll give it a lot more attention and be a lot more cautious since it's your face.  I have your skin color (maybe a tiny bit lighter) and it hyperpigments and hypopigments ridiculously easy...so be careful.  Phew...that was a lot of edit.

Hi DepressedJ,

I had CO2 laser resurfacing done 4 years ago which improved my scars about 40%. I also had a dermabrasion (not with laser but with a sanding tool) done in my early 20's (about 10 years ago). The dermabrasion didn't do anything for my scars.

I think you should just leave it alone for now cause your face really ain't bad at all.

You have like 2 ice pick scars that are probably barely noticeable in most lighting anyway.

I see some normal looking pores and 3 or 4 ice picks. Your best solution is to consider punch graft or punch elevation (punch floats) followed by a resurfacing procedure, like dermabrasion. This may very well eliminate your minor scars in one shot.

I only see a few extremely shallow/superficial/minute icepicks. I don't know what to tell you since your scars are so incredibly shallow. I guess you could try a series of lactic acid peels and see if that helps somewhat. If you did anything more invasive I'd be afraid you could cause further/worse scarring. Honestly - If I were in your shoes I would leave well enough alone.

Hi Vancouver,

I can't really say with much authority what will happen with your skin and tca. I'm sure there will be discoloration for a month or two at least, but hyperpigmentation generally fades on its own in 3 months tops. I don't think this means you have to wait theree months to do peels, especially if you're doing a 12.5 %, which is a light peel. I have some shallow rolling scars that I am going to try tca cross on tomorrow, I think that might help more than just a full face peel. I think concentrating on specifically the scar is a good idea. But you know, I think there is a lot of info. already on here about tca from people with a lot more experience then me. If you want reassurance...I can only say...you have to decide if the risk is worth it to you. It is to me as it seems that the risk is fairly reasonable....

I hope that helped...let me know if you have any other questions.

Kim

Paiir, thanks for your prompt reply.  How many laser sessions did you have?  Also, what was the approximate cost of the treatment? 

Thanks.

-dj

Thanks for your responses and suggestions, everyone. To be honest, I have mixed feelings thus far about your replies...I am happy that many of you seem to think I have very, very minor scarring, but on the other hand I am kinda disappointed because I think the poor quality of the pics are misleading you guys. I really do have scars. They are pretty noticeable in person.

The reason I decided to create this album is so that I can obtain positive feedback and get others' opinion on what measures to take to help reduce scarring, but the poor quality of the photos seems to be undermining these objectives. *Sigh* Well, I will try and upload new pics which capture the scarring more clearly. In the meantime, please keep the comments coming. Your comments really do mean a lot to me. I never really discuss my acne or scarring with anyone in-person (not even doctors or derms--I've been to a derm only like 2 times and that was over 2.5 years ago). This really is my only outlet so it really is imperative that I rcv good feedback. Again, I thank you for your comments, and the time you've taken to view my photos and comment.

-dj

I can also clearly see your scarring, yet I do agree that it does appear to be mild. It is hard to tell by photographs, but most of your scars resemble icepick without the deepness. They appear to be very small in diameter and very shallow in depth (mild indentations). It is important to know how long you have had the scarring. If the scarring is recent you can locally apply certain topicals like vitamine C and A serums which will help speed healing and increase collagen growth. I have found that topicals do very little though for older scars (more than a year). You could also try a combo series of chemical peels and microdermabrasion or a medical peel if you are concerned about doing anything abrasive. I do however have to say that I think the results from such mild forms of treatments on actual scarring is very minimal; I guess it depends what kind of results you are seeking as to what you will be happy with. You look like you have a darker skin tone so you need to be careful with what type of treatments you do choose. There are certain chemical peels and lasers that are not recommended for use by people with darker skin tones. There is also a product on the market called sculptra that initiates your own collagen growth and has been shown to be effective for atrophic scarring, fat loss, and wrinkles. I dont know if you would be a candidate for most fillers do to the extreme shallow appearance of your scars. Do a search of acne scar revision on the web and you will find all sorts of information. While I think it is helpful to hear others opinions it is more helpful to educate yourself and then decide what type treatments best suit you. There are just way too many options to list. I too have scarring similar and many peolpe will say not to do anything abrasive because of its mildness; but I think in order to get good results you will at some point have to get an abrasive procedure in order to see significant improvement.

Paiir, I'm glad to hear that the CO2 worked for you. Many people on this site have had adverse effects (fat loss, new scarring, etc.) from laser resurfacing. Did you experience any adverse effects from the CO2?

Depressedj,

Please don't get CO2 laser resurfacing for your very minor skin problems, it can lead to major skin problems (this is what happened to me). I had mild acne scarring and was told that CO2 would smooth everything out, and that I was a perfect candidate for this (very pale skin). I now have skin that ranges in color from white (I mean white) to brick red. It wrinkled many areas of my face immediately and left me with extremely enlarged scarred pores, not to mention burn marks all over the place. The reason I am on this board is to figure out what to do about the scarring left from CO2 laser (and I am totally confused!).

Good luck to you.

Hejira

Paiir, I'm glad to hear that the CO2 worked for you.  Many people on this site have had adverse effects (fat loss, new scarring, etc.) from laser resurfacing.  Did you experience any adverse effects from the CO2?