Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ewok

My family says i'm rude

Whenever my aunt and uncle come to visit, i never come down to say hello unless i'm clear. My entire family thinks i'm rude and they constantly scold me about it. The thing is, as most relatives, mine likes to comment on my appearance. Once my aunt had told me: "Wow you have so many pimples". I know it's not the worst thing that could have been said, but still it hurt me. My uncle also once said that i look like a rat. Ever since then, i haven't been very comfortable being in their presence and i try to avoid seeing them on 'bad' days even more. However, my uncle and aunt feel insulted by my lack of greetings and constantly remind me about it. I don't know what to do. I'm not really interested in telling them that the reason that i don't come down to say hello is because i don't want to be judged and brought down even more by their comments.

This is getting really frustrating and i have no idea as to what i should do

they don't understand what's wrong so they jump to the conclusion that you don't want to see them. if you can't talk to your aunt or uncle to tell them what's bothering you, talk to your mom or dad and have them discuss it with your aunt and uncle. no one is going to know what's wrong unless you communicate your feelings! good luck smile.gif

Guest Avian

Try and make it known to someone like your Dad or Mum that you don't like them commenting on your skin. Tell them to mention it to them.

I'm self-conscious around people I haven't seen in a while, but after a few minutes of conversation with them, I forget about acne.

i wouldnt say hi to people that called me a rat either, tell them they dont know what its like, to have a condition you can do hardly anything about, and tell them to **** off. biggrin.gif really though you shold say something people just keep being ignorant if you dont set them straight. i mean would you say OMG you cant walk to a man in a wheel chair, no cause its not his fault, just as acne isnt our fault.

I agree, voice your issues with the family. Let them know you stay away not because you are the rude one.

I feel your pain, I think we all do. sad.gif

Clear skin is something that so many people take for granted. You can be overweight, or skinny, or have whatever else problems you might feel, but none of them really affect you like acne does. So many people expect you to want to go out and be normal, when in your mind it's a waste of time. Simply getting out and meeting new people is what makes life so great, but the stigma of acne is so absolute that it completely turns this around and makes meeting new people a constant source of anxiety.

Just realize that it isn't your fault and do the best you can to get on with your life. I wish I had more answers, but the only answer I've ever found is to hope it goes away and wait till it does. It's easy to say "get on with your life," but life with acne is often so impaired that it's not life really, just a pale shadow of what it should be.

All I can suggest is to be productive. Spend your time learning a skill, or improving your body, or studying. The last is REALLY hard to do, at least for me, but it's worth it in the long run. Realize that each day you are making yourself better, and hopefully that'll be enough to get you through the days. I also really enjoy listening to music, often sad music, but that's just me.

Basically, you don't have to be social right now, there is nothing wrong with you for not wanting to be. Now realize that it's important to have some friends that you get along with, but you don't have to like everyone and you don't have to spend time with everyone that your parents want you to. Try talking with your parents about it, I know it's hard as hell, but chances are they will understand.

j

Family's a little overrated sometimes. Don't get me wrong, they're important in the end, but they aren't the only support one has in the world.

Family's a little overrated sometimes. Don't get me wrong, they're important in the end, but they aren't the only support one has in the world.

Whenever my aunt and uncle come to visit, i never come down to say hello unless i'm clear. My entire family thinks i'm rude and they constantly scold me about it. The thing is, as most relatives, mine likes to comment on my appearance. Once my aunt had told me: "Wow you have so many pimples". I know it's not the worst thing that could have been said, but still it hurt me. My uncle also once said that i look like a rat. Ever since then, i haven't been very comfortable being in their presence and i try to avoid seeing them on 'bad' days even more. However, my uncle and aunt feel insulted by my lack of greetings and constantly remind me about it. I don't know what to do. I'm not really interested in telling them that the reason that i don't come down to say hello is because i don't want to be judged and brought down even more by their comments.

This is getting really frustrating and i have no idea as to what i should do

I'd NEVER say family is overrated. They aren't just important in the end, but everyday. Maybe your relationship with your family is different, but I have great support with my whole family.

And to some people.. They are the ONLY support one has.

I have a ridiculous amount of support from my family, in everything. But family can be wrong sometimes too. They aren't perfect. And if you don't have back ups for when times get tough with them....well, that's really sad.

Guest *Clara

You'll feel better if you say "Screw You".

Guest willxzero

I know how you feel, i have the same problem. I never go visit my relatives and they always says why ain't I there. Why am I such a loser etc. for not going. That I'm anti-social. They also make alot of rude comments about my appearance, I sometimes wish I can tell them how I feel, but I get the feeling they probably won't care.

It's not necessarily what they say to me, it's what they don't say. They look at me like an outcast kind of, like I'm not part of the family because of my acne. They try to pretend I'm no there and are not related to me.