Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mchaelmyke

What's a good prevention of acne?

ACNE HYGIENE...101

One of the most common misconceptions about acne is that it's caused by dirt. It's not! Acne is caused by a combination of factors you can't control, like your hormone balance and the natural pace of your skin's renewal system. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can control that may help you keep your acne in check. Begin by following these simple suggestions for healthy-skin hygiene.

5 rules I like to follow:

Don't over-wash. Since dirt is not causing your acne, excessive scrubbing and washing won't make it go away. Try to limit yourself to two washings per day  anything more than that can leave your healthy skin dry, and your acne-prone areas irritated. Habitual over-washing may also stimulate extra oil production, which could result in more breakouts.

Skip harsh scrubs. It's okay to exfoliate, but be sure to use a gentle formula with small, smooth grains. Avoid products with almond or apricot shell fragments; they can irritate or even tear your skin and further aggravate your acne.

Say no to alcohol. If you use a toner, avoid products with high concentrations of isopropyl alcohol, or common rubbing alcohol. A strong astringent, alcohol strips the top layer of your skin, causing your sebaceous glands to produce more oil. The result? Dry, red skin  and possibly more blemishes.

Don't squeeze or pick. Squeezing or picking your blemishes  with fingernails, pins or anything else  can force bacteria deeper into the skin, causing greater inflammation and infection. You'll also increase the damage to the surrounding skin, so the blemish is more likely to leave a permanent scar.

Hands off! Propionibacterium acnes (the bacteria that causes breakouts) is a normal resident of your skin; it doesn't lead to acne until it gets trapped inside the hair follicle. Excessive touching of your face, including rubbing or even resting your chin in your hands, can drive bacteria into your pores  where it can begin its dirtywork.

Find a regimen and stick with it. Find a regimen and stick with it. Most cases of mild acne can be improved with "over-the-counter" products, or products that don't require a prescription from your doctor. There is a wide range of treatments available, and there’s a good chance one of them will work for you. If you start treatment before your acne gets severe, you’ll have a better chance of avoiding physical and emotional problems down the road. But if your acne gets worse or lasts more than a couple of weeks, see a dermatologist. Most cases of mild acne can be improved with "over-the-counter" products, or products that don't require a prescription from your doctor. There is a wide range of treatments available, and there’s a good chance one of them will work for you. If you start treatment before your acne gets severe, you’ll have a better chance of avoiding physical and emotional problems down the road. But if your acne gets worse or lasts more than a couple of weeks, see a dermatologist.

I find that when I don't wash my face in the evening (especially after eating something greasy), I break out. I don't make a habit of washing 3 times a day, but I do wash my face with my gentle cleanser if I feel my face feels way too dirty/greasy.

Also, is it okay if your toner just has ethyl alcohol?

does sleeping on a pillow make you break out? i change my pillow case everynite but still feel that sleeping on a part of my face all nite makes my skin worse. (more spots are there in the morning)

what u think?

does sleeping on a pillow make you break out? i change my pillow case everynite but still feel that sleeping on a part of my face all nite makes my skin worse. (more spots are there in the morning)

what u think?

Im the same i only have a bit of hair so i dont need to wash it to often, however i went through a faze where i tryed keeping my face to the cealing while i was sleeping, god knowz if i works i cudnt remba what position i used to wake up in lol. Id like to know if it can bring break outs and can i buy a special pillow or pillow case?

thanks

Im sure this idea had allready been taken up ? its so obveous that pillows could carry bacteria.

Im the same i only have a bit of hair so i dont need to wash it to often, however i went through a faze where i tryed keeping my face to the cealing while i was sleeping, god knowz if i works i cudnt remba what position i used to wake up in lol. Id like to know if it can bring break outs and can i buy a special pillow or pillow case?

thanks

I find that when I don't wash my face in the evening (especially after eating something greasy), I break out. I don't make a habit of washing 3 times a day, but I do wash my face with my gentle cleanser if I feel my face feels way too dirty/greasy.

Also, is it okay if your toner just has ethyl alcohol?