Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaTi

Doxycyclin and Clindamycin

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Doxycyclin (sp?) and/or Clindamycin? My doctor perscribed for me to be on 150 Mg Doxycyclin a day, and clindamcyin in the mornings. If you've used it, did it work? And how long did it take to see results? Thanks a lot! :D

i was on doxycycline but after a few weeks on it i couldnt sleep because it caued nausea so i had to stop but if u can go on them fine without having any side effects losing sleep etc then i would advice to go on it because it works for clearing up acne.

You probably got nauseous because you took it on an empty stomach. I've been on it for months and I know the nausea that it can cause. Don't give up on it unless you try taking it after a meal. Also, don't take it immediately before lying down for bed. I did that for a while and suffered from acid reflux. The doxy can burn your esophagus where it meets your stomach. You have to make sure to take it at least one hour before lying down.

hello,

I was on doxy for 3 years- during the first year, I didn't see much improvement, then the 2nd year, my face seemed to be clearing up somewhat. But this year (the 3rd year) I had the worst breakouts ever. Through all this, I learned to 1. always take doxy on a FULL STOMACH, or else you'll definately throw-up. :D( 2. don't take any dairy/vitamins/calcium within 2 hours before/after taking doxy, or else the calcium will absorb all the doxy and your zits will come back with a vengenance! Now, I've switched dermatologists since my first one would just give me doxy and kept telling me that there was no cure for acne- that if I'd just wait ~4-5 more years, my hormones will balance themselves and my acne will go away. (I'm 18 years old) My new dermatologist has put me on retin-a cream and topical clindamycin. It's my 8th day without doxy and I'm absoloutly thrilled- my breakouts are slightly worse, but now I can eat all the dairy (think ice-cream, chocolate, cheese, etc.) I was craving while on doxy! The Retin-A is supposed to improve your skin after two weeks, so I can't wait till halloween ;-) Good luck to you with the antibiotics- I hope your acne disappears without a trace :D)

:roll: Hey, just started the Retin-A Micro last night and Erythromycin. I had the worst nasea, even with taking it with dinner, so now I am going to try it again tonight but after dinner, right after, not before. I took it again this morning and it gave me the same awful feeling with heart beat higher, etc. Or at least it felt like it.

Anybody - do you think I should just take the Retin-A alone and see if it works? I tried Minocyclin months ago, to no avail, so what do you guys recommend? I really hate taking antibiotics.

Karen aka Newcastlegirl

If you don't use an oral antibiotic, you are skipping one entire aspect of acne treatment - treating from the inside out. Karen, check out the erythromycin instructions. Is it supposed to be taken with food or on an empty stomach? This is important. If you can take it with food, wait until you're finished eating, and then take the pill. I have to be careful with my Doxycycline. If I take it on an empty stomach, I get very naseous. I'm surprised that you are going with Retin-A Micro. I've tried it, but all it did was make my skin very red, very itchy, and very flaky. It was torture. I even tried taking days off. You do know that you will not be able to use Skinclean or any other abrasive cleanser? I would just find a very gentle bar soap or liquid cleanser to use while on Retin-A Micro and that's it. No toners or other acne products. If you have trouble with it, take a day or two off. Your skin must adapt to it. You may also have a flareup from it. If you have any Retin-A questions in regard to my experience with it, you know where to find me.

Neal

Hey

I have been using Retin-A Micro for about 4 weeks now every other day cuz the peeling is pretty bad...i dont get too red but look a little flushed...

nyways it has improved my acne a little bit... cuz i broke out pretty badly in the 2nd week of using it... hopefully tht wont happen again... now i have few pimples but a lot of red and brown spots near my chin area.... has any of u had the same experience with the initial breakout..

does it eventually subside????

:D Thanks for info on antibiotics and Retin-A Micro. Neal, did you use Retin A Micro or the stuff they made before (plain Retin-A)? I used the plain Retin-A years ago, had bad results, but the lady at pharmacy this Monday said it had been much improved, not so harsh, since the original Retin-a first came out.

Yes, I discontinued the SkinClean upon the day of using Retin-A, am using either Cetaphil liquid cleanser or this neat liquid mild cleanser Mom got at Trader Joe's, all natural, very nice and mild.

It is 3 nights of using Retin A Micro, and I see it is the 1%, which upon reading these posts, is the strongest. It is gel also. And now I discover the Erythromycin is 500 mg. twice a day - doesn't that seem a bit strong for me? I am only 130 lbs at 5'7 3/4" and it is making me feel sick still.

What about a topical antibiotic? I hate this oral stuff. Thanks for all your help, Karen

:D Thanks for info on antibiotics and Retin-A Micro.   Neal, did you use Retin A Micro or the stuff they made before (plain Retin-A)?    

It is 3 nights of using Retin A Micro, and I see it is the 1%, which upon reading these posts, is the strongest.  It is gel also.

I used the Micro. It is stronger than other forms, but the delivery system encapsulates the medicine in "microsponges". The microsponges release the medicine slowly, so a higher strength can be used. Remember, at the first sign of too much dryness or redness, take a night off from using it. You skin should adapt to the medicine over time.

Clindamycin has worked tremendously well for me...I have about 1/2 as much acne after about 3 weeks. I would definetely recommend it, as it looks like it is going to clear me up completely. I am slowly but consistently improving, althogh if you do get a new zit, don't stress it, just continue with the treatment.

hello,  

2.  don't take any dairy/vitamins/calcium within 2 hours before/after taking doxy, or else the calcium will absorb all the doxy and your zits will come back with a vengenance!

if the calcium makes your zits worse, then why does the pharmacist say to take the doxy with a glass of milk to avoid an upset stomach? the doxy papers dont say anything about calcium making your face worse but after drinking a milkshake i noticed that the next day i had more breakouts ... does anyone know exactly how doxy reacts with calcium ?

if the calcium makes your zits worse, then why does the pharmacist say to take the doxy with a glass of milk to avoid an upset stomach?

Your pharmacist must be confused, because all of the papers that came along with my doxy said to avoid calcium within 2 hours of taking the pill. My derm told me the same thing- calcium tends to absorb the doxy and render it ineffective~ just remember to eat SOMETHING before taking the doxy so that you don't get nauseous :oops: ...about your milkshake thing, that's kind of a coincidence because pimples start in the bottom layer of your skin, 6 weeks before they are visible, so what you ate yesterday shouldn't be irritating your face today (though i'd swear against this from personal experience :wink: )

now there's a new study out linking acne to food, it turns out that some researchers found a correlation between how rich a country you live in and how many zits you get. people in less developed countries have food that hasn't been processed as much as people in richer countries. also, people in richer countries have more zits. i think a lot more research has to be done, cause things like pollution, makeup, soap, perfume, etc. might be the stuff that rich countries have that cause ppl to break out

here's my experience with doxycycline:

I was breaking out back then, but not very severe acne. The derm prescribed me doxycycline; i started out with 2 pills a day, then after a few months went down to a pill a day. My face cleared up pretty well, getting only a pimple or two occasionally (usually just before the time of the month). Anyway i finished my course after a year and my face remained pretty much clear, but only for one year after i stopped. I started breaking out again, it's worse this time cause i also have some cystic acne that i never experienced before. The doctor put me on doxy again last month and i'm still taking it. I haven't really seen the results, but i guess that's cause it takes time to work...

Clindamycin has worked tremendously well for me...I have about 1/2 as much acne after about 3 weeks.  I would definetely recommend it, as it looks like it is going to clear me up completely.  I am slowly but consistently improving, althogh if you do get a new zit, don't stress it, just continue with the treatment.

That is good to hear. I decided to turn to my PCP for help as my derm was no help. She put me on Clindamycin and I have been using it during the day and Differin at night. I have been on it for a week and I am getting new zits on the same spots I always get them. Hmmm...

Clindamycin has worked tremendously well for me...I have about 1/2 as much acne after about 3 weeks.  I would definetely recommend it, as it looks like it is going to clear me up completely.  I am slowly but consistently improving, althogh if you do get a new zit, don't stress it, just continue with the treatment.

That is good to hear. I decided to turn to my PCP for help as my derm was no help. She put me on Clindamycin and I have been using it during the day and Differin at night. I have been on it for a week and I am getting new zits on the same spots I always get them. Hmmm...

I have had a similar experience on clindamycin with zits reappearing in the same spots.. Very weird. On the third day my "reappearing" zits got really sensitive and some even bleed when I washed them (I'm very gentle when I wash too). But its gettin' better now, and this stuff isn't as irritating as BP (even 2.5) was, I'm not nearly so red on the face. It may sting a little and it does smell funky, but it beats the white or tan tinted marks that other topicals leave behind that you don't always notice when you run out the door :?

As for prevention of acne... I get some very small new zits here and there, but they are extremely weak and easy to pop- I'm still a newbie according to how long this topical/antibiotic treatment takes to fully work. I have not had a full blown breakout after being on these treatments for a about a month now.

I'll see how things are after the 2 month mark, and if I remember, I'll post some insight on my personal experiences with clindamycin and antibiotics.

Good luck and be patient with treatment, something should eventually help! :D

I take both doxycycline and Clindamycin. Clindamycin has already worked FANTASTIC. It's the best I've seen. I havn't been on Doxycycline long enough to notice a difference. I would deffinately recommened Clindamycin!!---------------Mike

I take both doxycycline and Clindamycin. Clindamycin has already worked FANTASTIC. It's the best I've seen. I havn't been on Doxycycline long enough to notice a difference. I would deffinately recommened Clindamycin!!---------------Mike

hi, I was wondering if you use topical clindamycin or take the pills... I tried topical once and it failed miserably for me, but then again, everybody's different :D

I would be careful about starting antibiotics. While they may be effective for a period of time, you may build up resistance to the drug and it will lose its effectiveness. I was on doxycycline for 6 months and it worked really well but then I began to break out again. I have since tried other antibiotics with little success and annoying side effects- so just a word of caution while antibiotics may seem great initially this may not be the case in the long run.

I for one do not believe in antibiotics for acne. I was prescribed minocyline which made me ill all the time because I didn't take it with food...not a big breakfast fan. Then, if I didn't take it at breakfast time I forgot to take it altogether. Then came doxycycline...same problem. Finally, I got in the habit of taking them, I was just sick all the time. While I did take them religiously my skin was worse than ever. It oozed out of every pore. It was disgusting. I just cried. Then, I decided to stop taking it and with in a few days my skin was better than before the anibiotics. Another thing I don't understand is antibiotics mess with the effectivity of birth control pills but not with the side effects of the bcp's that help your skin???

Personally, I think that antibiotics are a waste of time. I don't think anyone should be on them for longer than 3 months, much less 3 years. In my opinion anything that does not show some kind of positve result with in three weeks is not worth staying on. Move on!!!!!!!!!