Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Feiph

Did Accutane give you depression?

Just wondering if anyone suffered from depression because of accutane. Cause... a month before I started accutane I broke up with my gf so I was depressed to begin with. That was 3 months ago... and I always feel sh-tty now... I don't know if its the breakup still... or the accutane or a combination of the two. Agh.

i have actually been quite happy since i started accutane, and i'm starting month 3 next week. i'm sure your breakup has a lot to do with your depression. good luck!

Well I was hella depressed before I even started accutane. Then when I got my initial breakout from the accutane, I got even more depressed (suicidal thoughts all the time) cuz I couldn't see my face EVER getting better. I had a horrible initial breakout....but it was worth it.

-Shawn-

yea im even happier now......always got a smile on my (clear) face......

why should you be depressed if you got rid of you acne????? :-

I actually did notice a slight lack of motivation to go out and kick it with the boys and play sports competitively like I usually love to do....so I lowered my dosage and now im feelin fine. I wasnt really depressed but I kinda secluded myself from friends and wanted to be alone....kinda wierd. Dont know if its accutane's fault or if its all in my head.

peace

-Cory

i have read about a family suing the accutane company for their sons suicide. claiming that accutane can cause major depression and that no one told them about this devistating side effect. So to answer your question it is documented that accutane can cause depression...u r not crazy...talk to you doctor about the severity of this side affect.

I never got depressed during my time on accutane, i got happyer cuz my face was starting to clear up that much:)

Acne, isotretinoin treatment and acute depression.

World J Biol Psychiatry 2001 Jul;2(3):159-61

Ng CH, Tam MM, Hook SJ.

Department of Psychiatry, University of Melbourne, Professorial Unit, Melbourne Clinic, 130 Church Street, Richmond, Victoria, Australia, 3121. [email protected]

The association between isotretinoin therapy and depressive symptoms in acne patients has generated much recent interest but has not been systematically explored. A 17-year-old man with acne vulgaris developed symptoms of acute depression two weeks after beginning isotretinoin therapy. The depressive symptoms improved with reduction of isotretnoin dose and treatment with sertraline. Of note, however, is that when the isotretinoin dose was again increased, the depressive symptoms recurred despite clearing of the skin, leading to an unsuccessful suicide attempt. Isotretinoin was finally discontinued and the depression rapidly resolved. Although the effects of hypervitaminosis A may be involved aetiologically, the predictive factors of drug-related depression remain unclear. Significant depressive symptoms that develop during the course of treatment need close monitoring and may necessitate both antidepressant therapy and discontinuation of the drug. Given the uncertain causal relationship between isotretinoin and depression, versus the potential psychological benefits of effective acne treatment, systematic studies exploring the impact of isotretinoin on mood are needed.

I went on 2 cycles of Accutane, one before my wedding in 1995, and again in 1998. Although my extreme cystic acne has cleared almost completely, I experienced depression both times, but much worse the second time. I was achey, had severe headaches and cried all the time for no reason.

(I also remember my doctor telling me to expect some mood alter)

BUT... I was severly cystic on my face, neck, chest and back, and now, a rare pimple. Accutane worked wonders on me.... I couldn't even sleep on my back because of the pain of the cysts, now, NOTHING!!!

I am now scarred, and filled with comedones, but that's another story......

The depression was well worth the results. Stick it out, and try and do things to make yourself feel better. Drink lots of water, and moisterize moisterize, moisterize!!! Vaseline on those lips does wonders too!!!

I was on a 5 month course of accutane for acne that wasn't terrible but very persistent. Several months into my treatment, I found myself unable to concentrate. I was really scattered and unable to focus. I slid into a deep depression, and then attempted suicide. Was is the accutane? I don't know. What I do know, is that accutane was the only introduced factor in what was otherwise a very typical year for me. Oh, and the accutane cleared me up somewhat for a few months, but has come back worse than ever. It's now been a year and a half since.

i'm on accutane, except i'm only on my 10th day. so far the only side effect i've had are dry lips and headaches. i haven't been sad yet, in fact, i've been happy the past few days because my acne is going way down.

I'm kinda depressed and I'm only taking Dynacin. Acne really sucks. I'm not great looking to begin with but acne makes me verge into hideous territory. It's highly depressing but you learn to deal with it I guess.

I was basically never depressed in my life before accutane. (of course I also had my ups and downs, but sadness never lasted for more than a few hours) After may be 1-2 months of starting accutane, I developed really bad temper, was mad about everything and cried easily. I couldn't concentrate and eventually even quit my job. That was 1.5 years ago. I am better now, but I would say not as good as I had been before. I am still suspecting at times whether the accutane has done permenant damages.

I also broke up with my girlfriend before taking accutane. We broke up for about 3 months before I went on the tane and for the three months prior to the tane I was fine in termes of coping with the break up. Even when I started the tane for the first month I was alright until recently like the last 2 weeks, I constantly start thinking about her and get depressed at times. Though I dont think its serious at all but at times I wonder if its the accutane thats making me feel this way. I still love sports and hanging out with my friends, that hasnt changed yet. Could it be the accutane though? Who knows.

While I was on Accutance, I didn't become depressed, but I do think I suffered from mild-moderate anxiety problems which went away after Accutane. Very fortunately, they were never terribly severe.

Everyone on accutane take these words as seriously as possible. To keep your body working the same as it would normally without accutane I have found a couple of methods that only take a few minutes and only a few segments out of your day. To keep yourself from getting depressed I strongly recommend going to a place that sells vitamins and such and purchase Amino Acids. 1 bottle should contain capsules with the 20 needed essential aminos. These amino acids, also the building blocks of your body, will keep your mood from doing deep and more occuring dips and rises in your psychi. It will also keep your sex drive (libido, mojo, whatever) goin strong. Take 2 with every meal. Stay away from fatty high cholesterol foods. What I have noticed while on accutane is that my cholesterol and triglycerides are more easily risen off the normal charts while on accutane. Diet can influence the response of accutane doing its job. And last take calcium pills to keep bones strong. Aminos also keep the stomach working which I have heard accutane to affect. PEACE!

I didn't get anymore depressed than usual (which isn't a lot at all) while I was on it either of the two times. I was about 17 the first time I took it and I went through normal teenage crap. Long story short - no, I didn't get depressed on accutane.

Mercer

hi, im 16 yrs old, im 5'3, 102 lbs....my acne is not severe but it is very persistant, and i have tried a lot of things to get it away, but everything else just seemed to make it sooo much worse! like minocylin and tetracyclin or whatever along with topical treatments like benzaclin and retina and some other stuff....they made me much worse! so now i dont know, i want to go on accutane....but im afraid cuz a few months ago i was really depressed, but my main reasoning for depression was acne, and i still am quite depressed because acne, and i isolate myself from people and places, and i want a bf really bad, but i am so insecure cuz of my acne, and i cant tell the guy who i am almost goin out with, that thats y i dont want to go further in our relationship.....its so difficult for me also, cuz i am a model and models r supposed to have perfect skin ya know....and it sucks extremely bad, cuz i have a big modeling event this weekened, where i can meet agents and everything.....but i am breaking out soooooo bad!!!! so if anyone knows some quick tips that help really really fast that would be great!! but i dont know if i should go on accutane cuz the depression side effects, but im thinkin maybe it will help my depression go away considering im depressed because of acne.....also i was wondering about how bad the dry lips get?? cuz with modeling and stuff, if its really bad, i dont know if i can do that....and also i heard somethin about ur eyes getting really dry....so if someone could please answer my questions, i would really appreciate it! and my last question.....should i go on accutane or not? thanks so much! (sorry so long, im just very curious!)

also...how bad do the headaches get? cuz i never get headaches ,so how bad do the headaches get? and also how bad is the initial breakout? and how long does it last?