Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bonobo Man

Acne Diet I found

Hey, I unexpectedly found a document on the internet that has some fairly comprehensive information on acne. I was completely shocked when I found it because indepth information about acne is a very rare find on the internet. A lot of it seems theoretical, but it does a much more convincing job of explaining acne than pretty much any other source I've found. Check it out and tell me what you think:

http://www.freeacnebook.com/15-23.htm

It basically says that acne is a very complex problem that isn't just bacteria, isn't just genetics, and has relatively nothing to do with how you wash (unless you over wash). It then goes on to detail a "clean" diet you can try to eliminate acne. After being on every prescription drug there is, trying this regimen, and trying more creams and cleansers than I care to remember, I felt like I could really relate to this info. I'm gonna try it out over the summer. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this- wholeheartedly that is, not just dabbling around maybe eating fruit sometimes.

Hi hobonobo,

If you go down a page or two there are a couple of threads called "insulin levels and acne" (started by TLS) and "diet and acne" (started by eff) talking about eating a low-carb diet to reduce acne, which is essentially what this diet is. I am trying out a diet that is less restrictive than the Wai diet (I eat "prepared proteinaceous foods" as she calls them :- ) but still fairly restricted - protein foods, nuts, seeds, fruits & veges. It seems to be working well in conjunction with Dan's regimen but as I mention below I want to wait a full month before I say for sure that it works for me. I will say this though - on Saturday I cheated and ate an English muffin and I broke out more yesterday than I had since starting the diet (2.5 weeks) so...

Anyway, go have a look what people have to say on the other threads & let us know what you think. Good luck!

I recall someone posting this link before. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, I'm sure it would. The only thing I question is the ability to implement and maintain such a diet? If we all ate like we "should" all the time, then the world would see a lot less illness and diesease. Raw fish and egg yolks probably isn't very high on the list of yummy foods. Not to mention the activity restrictions. It may be my 2 cents, but unless you are independently wealthy and don't have to work or take care of anyone, I would think that sticking to this proposed diet would be damn near impossible. Like I said, I'm not saying that it doesn't work, but I merely am stating my opinion in that it would be difficult to maintain. I'll just wait for the hostile replies with a smile.

-Snake

guys can you post your question in the appropriate forum as this forum is primarily for those of us following dans regimen using benzoyl peroxide.

I just hate all these posts of late hat shouldnt be in this forum.

Dont wanna sound like a a whiner tho!

:-

:wink:

I agree with snake. I hate acne more than anything, but I doubt I would be able to stick to a diet like this. Changing my diet would be the very last resort for me, even after accutane.

Finding a "cure" for acne is like trying to find the cure for cancer. It's not going to happen without other side effects and it won't always work for everyone. The trick is to erase the underlying CAUSE of acne instead of trying to cover up the symptoms. I thank god for acne, as it was an early warning sign for me. Acne is a signal that something in the body is VERY WRONG. Erase modern foods from yuor diet and acne will disappear. I am 100% clear due to proper diet.

As I've posted here and at other forums, acne does not appear in primitive cultures until they adopt our western diets. Is that not enough proof for you that you cannot eat whatever you want and expect to be clear? It's just not going to happen. I firmly believe that for almost everyone here to clear, they must posess the discipline to change their diets and revert back to a more primal diet of MEAT, VEGETABLES AND WATER. That is all you need to live healthy and strong, and acne free, forever. I can practically gaurantee that anyone who takes up a diet of water, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts and berries, and nothing else, will clear their skin.

I do not say all this because I want to force all this down your throat. I feel obligated to share the actual cure for acne because I care about my fellow man. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you need chemicals, pills, medication, or funky herbs to stay clear. Your diet has the largest impact upon your health of any of the factors.

http://pub106.ezboard.com/fabsoluteacneinf...start=1&stop=20

Go there to see my extensive thread. There's another guy named Hyde in there who has caught on to this and has already seen his acne halt.

Think about it. Worry about taking all the right combos of medicine and chemicals so that you only get 2 or 3 pimples a week?...or eat from nature's bounty whenever you're hungry, never touching your face or worrying about what gets on it...and never see acne again?

I'd love to follow a diet like this, eff. And I totally believe in it. The problem, for most of us, is not that we're lazy. It's that we don't have the money to maintain a diet like this. Fruits and vegetables and meat all the time can smash your wallet in. The most availible foods are usually the worst for you. Think about it.

Rive

It seems like it is expensive, and true, it can cost more than the standard western diet. I do agree that the most available foods are the worst for you and that is, it seems, because the USA produces MASS quantities of grains. It has to use them somehow. Much is exported, but the government would rather we eat a lot of it too.

Currently I'm finding that to maintain this diet, it's costing about $50-$100/week. It all depends on where you shop and how much you eat. If you eat plenty of natural fats and protein, you'll be full and won't need so much food. It really isn't a LOT more expensive than a "normal" diet. So I'd average, maybe $4k/year on groceries.

So when my mother was told, with me at the age of 3, by a doc that there was already evidence in my skin to suggest i would suffer from acne as an adult im guessing it wasn't cos the doc knew what kinds of foods i would be eating in years to come. Or just a lucky guess maybe ? I doubt it. I don't discard what you say eff but it certainly isnt the "actual cure for acne" that you speak off.

Also im sure there are many countries that don't follow a western diet that suffer from acne, many eastern countries for example and thats just off the top of my head.

Adam

Grrrr, Adam, that's not what he's saying. The claim is that certain individuals have a PROPENSITY to suffer from acne, and will manifest this if their diets are high in grains or whatever. So what the doctor was telling your mother is that you would have this tendency. People who don't have a propensity for acne can eat a high-grain, junk food laden diet and not develop acne. It's like a tendency towards being overweight - some people can live on McDonalds and not get fat, whereas others look sideways at a cream cake and gain ten pounds. And if you were a little chunky at the age of 3 and the doctor said "he is at a high risk of being overweight when he's older" you wouldn't be saying, "see that proves that food isn't related to weight." (Well, maybe you would, but that's another story.) Also, regarding the "Western diet", if you actually read what he says, it is about high carbohydrates/processed foods, not specifically a Western diet. So, for example, Asian diets that are high in polished rice would aggravate acne, according to this theory.

I don't know if what eff is saying is true or not, but please don't mangle his claim. A lot of people just want to dismiss this way of approaching acne management, and that's your prerogative, but if you're going to try and demolish the claim you should at least make an effort to understand what it is.

vanessa - Ok fair enough i take your point on that. I did say "I don't discard what you say eff " meaning i dont dismis the diet i just don't believe its a one size fits all thing. I tend to think there are different bodies needing different solutions to the problem and not just the actual cure.

Adam

That is true that one body may require something different than the other. However this need will NEVER include man-made or altered foods. Anything anyone could ever possibly need can be found in nature in a raw state of perfection. My belief is the abandoning of modern foods...mostly refined grains, refined sugar, man-made oils, man-made anything. Some people function better on large amounts of fat intake (real fat...animal and plant fat) while others function better on more vegetable carbohydrates. That is what I believe. It all depends on genetics. I firmly believe that acne is a result of a manmade diet. I can't see a diet of water, meat and vegetables doing anything but helping or eliminating acne. I'll gladly listen to any disagreements.

I find the way 'primal man' is portrayed quite amusing. What do you think these cavemen did when they decided they wanted uncooked steak as a midday snack? Run after conviently tamed cow and hack off a small piece? Do you think these people were worried about the number of different vegetables they got in a day?

I don't think so. Cavemen were probably continually in some or other state of undernourishment due to there not always being proper diet around. Hence their lifespan of under 30.

I don't think you have heard of acne in primal man because he was probably far more concerned about life threatening ailments at the time. Far more worrying then something cosmetic. I mean its not like he had Gillete Mach 3 in those days. You couldn't even see his acne.

The fact is that we are living longer now than ever before - thanks largely to the developements made by Western civilization that a lot of you now denounce. Examples are: purified water, pasteurized milk etc.

I think if the caveman were offered the choice of a long acne filled life complete with chocolate, running water, libraries, movies, the list goes on and on, it would not be a hard one.

Just think about this a while before you give up advances made by Western civilization for the last 5000 years.

Kragvark, I'm not saying that technological advances are bad, but it's negatively affecting our health because our digestive systems haven't been able to change as fast as our minds work. It's like trying to raise a lion or a bear or a falcon or some other predator on ...bagels. We've evolved over millions of years to handle natural foods and then we suddenly flip it around on ourselves and then shrug our shoulders at this mess of health problems. True, the lifespan's were not long, but this can be attributed to anything from infectious disease or hunting acidents or massive injuries. Man did not die from degenerative diseases as he does today. His teeth were straight, solid and white, free of cavities, the women gave birth to one healthy consecutive child after the other, with much less pain than they do today. This has been documented in primitive cultures around the world.

These people didn't worry about how much food they got in every day but anything they did manage to get was straight from nature, untouched and undamaged by man. Full of it's natural fats, proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals, all in the right proportions.

It's great that man has come so far with his movies and libraries as you say, but these are not building and maintaining our bodies every day. Our food is. If we choose to overheat, destroy, denature, and alter our food beyond recognition, we choose to deal with the consequences. If we choose to eat foods that are totally inedible in their raw state, we're going to see strange reactions.

Barring accidents, injuries, and infectious disease, all of which just happen in nature, I think primitive man could expect to live as long as we do today, but without all the diseases, crooked teeth, alzheimers, brittle bones, etc etc.

Any way you argue it, the fact remains that before adopting a modern diet, humans do not suffer from acne.

WOW! Awesome guys thanks. This is far more information than I expected. Ah the benefits of this forum becoming more popular.

I apologize to the regulars for putting this post in the wrong thread- completely my bad. I realized my mistake after I posted.

I'm particularly impressed with Eff's articulate posts. I'm going to check out the other threads he created on the topic.

Thanks guys!

In the book that I recommend to everyone, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Weston A. Price, he documents the health of many primitive cultures all over the world in the 1930s, before modern foods spread to every area. Many of these primitives are australians, pacifics islanders, or eskimos, but there is a swiss group, so we do have a caucasian example. There was no mention of acne at all in any of these groups as they lived on their largely raw, whole food diet. Then he would compare these people to another group of the same race, but living on modern foods. The results were disastrous. Cavities were rampant, disease was everywhere, I'm sure acne came along here with everything else, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet, I've only read maybe 1/3 of the book so far. But I do know he would definitely have mentioned acne in the primitive food eating peple. Even in the many pictures he took, none of these people had any acne.

I do believe that medicine saves lives every day but I am a strong believer in prevention and/or treating as naturally as possible. I like the idea of letting the body do the healing itself. If the body is supplied the right nutrients, it can heal just about anything. I will not disagree with the effectivess of accutane. I KNOW it gets rid of acne in most people...however, it does this in an odd matter, by shrinking the sebum glands themselves and that kind of thing just makes me wonder...could this have any permanent negative effects? I'd rather people give the right diet a chance first. This seems to make more sense to me.

So my point is: I think we need to take a look at the health and condition of our ancestors and recognize that they most likely did not suffer from a lot of the problems that we suffer from today. Then we compare what factors have changed. The biggie is our diet. I know that I finally cleared after I reverted back to a more primal diet of meat vegetables, fruit.

As for taking aspirin to kill pain, I agree that is a bad idea. Any pains in the body should tell you something. If I feel sick or tired or anything, I think about what I ate and I blame it on myself. Everyone is responsible for their own long-term well-being.

I recommend everyone read that book and the supporting website.

http://www.westonaprice.org/splash_2.htm

Hey eff

What are your views on frozen vegetables? Also why don't you eat grains? Surely grains were available to primitive cultures?

Another thing: I have a few ants where I live and they seem to enjoy all the processed man made food thats lying around more than anything else. Do you think they also suffer from crooked teeth/acne etc? :wink:

Frozen Vegetables? Well obviously fresh would be better as I'm sure freezing would destroy some vitamins/minerals as cooking does, but I don't see any harm coming from eating them. Get fresh if possible!

Grains? No sir. The consumption of grains really only started to fire up around the dawn of the agricultural revolution, or about 10,000 years ago. We were hunter/gatherers for at least a million years before that. Try to go and pick some raw grains from the wild and eat them. It's not a very efficient or tasty way to get food. They also contain many antinutrients to protect the plant from being eaten. Our ancestors ate the animals they hunted and ate the vegetables/fruits they could gather. Some more modern-day primitive cultures did soak or sprout some grains before eating them but this would not have happened before the agricultural revolution.

I'm sure many many creatures will enjoy human food. It tastes fine but that means nothing. There was a study carried out by a man named Pottenger. He fed a diet of raw meat and milk to cats and a diet of cooked meat and milk to another group of cats. Read about it here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/nutrition_grea.../pottenger.html

The cats on the cooked food diet withered and lost their ability to reproduce. :P

But I do have to mention, when Dr. Price visited these cultures, some were eating grains and remained in good health. The people living on the islands off the coasts of england and ireland were eating oats and fish mainly. They did quite well on this and I saw no reference to acne. The Swiss had a diet of fresh rye bread and raw milk cheese with meat once or twice a week. They too, did quite well. Neither of these grains were processed however, and I didn't read of any cultures eating wheat. So I'm sure it's possible to stay quite healthy and acne free eating SOME types of unprocessed grains, but grains are not necessary for health and may have some association with other diseases like athritis. Processed, modern foods must be completely removed from your diet, though, if you wish to be healthy and acne-free.

Hey eff

I've done some research on frozen vegetables and it turns out their ok. Frozen veggies can actually have more vitamins cause they are quick-frozen immediately once they are picked. In light of this convience added to the fact that good quality meat is very cheap where I live, I am considering giving your 'caveman diet' a go.

Are potatoes ok too?

How long did it take B4 you saw results?

Potatoes? Nah, I would avoid them. I think I've read somewhere that they raise blood sugar even more quickly than sucrose(table sugar). Try eating one raw, haha, not gonna happen. I don't really like potatoes unless they're dipped in ketchup so I've had no problems avoiding them.

I believe the ideal diet would be any whole raw foods that you have a desire for. Any food that is edible raw in nature. Mostly, you want to be eating meat with it's fat, eggs, vegetables, some fruits, and enough water(I personally don't feel the need to drink LARGE amounts of water, just enough).

Some people will do very well on lots of raw fat, depending on genetics, while other people will do much better on lots of raw vegetables. It really depends on your ancestry.

Just make sure you eat everything as close to raw as possible, including meat. The less it's cooked, the less oxidized and damaged it will be.

I've been eating this way for 7 months. I can't recall exactly how long it took me to clear, but something in the range of a couple weeks? I now get the random pimple maybe once a week or less, but then sometimes I'll go months without a single pimple. Random slips in diet seem to set me off, like mayo or salad dressing?

There is no one size fits all diet. Many groups of people throughout history have lived long, healthy, acne-free lives on many many different types of foods. The thing to remember is...whole, unprocessed foods from nature's bounty, not altered junk from the hands of humans. Good luck.

i have been eating bacon and sausage for breakfast but they are cured, i try to wash them off but i know you told me before that cured meat is bad. Where can i get uncured bacon or sausage, i cant find it in the grocery store. Thanks