Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I picked up at the local health store today a bottle of Essential Fatty Acids or EFAs, which, for those who don't know, have been strongly linked both clinically and anecdotally with major benefits for acne sufferers, orally and topically, for balancing hormones, fighting inflammation and keeping sebum flowing and liquid, and general skin health.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with EFAs and what the best are to use.

My product is called Optimum Oil Blend by Holland & Barrett (Organic Choice).

It's got Flaxseed/Linseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Soya Lecithin (non GM), and Rice Bran Oil. It "provides a range of fatty acids including a 2:1:1 ratio of omega 3,6, and 9.

Is this good for my acne? Or is the even small amount of omega 6 oils like sunflower risking a breakout despite the much higher concentrations of omega 3 oils like flaxseed and evening primrose?

I picked up at the local health store today a bottle of Essential Fatty Acids or EFAs, which, for those who don't know, have been strongly linked both clinically and anecdotally with major benefits for acne sufferers, orally and topically, for balancing hormones, fighting inflammation and keeping sebum flowing and liquid, and general skin health.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with EFAs and what the best are to use.

My product is called Optimum Oil Blend by Holland & Barrett (Organic Choice).

It's got Flaxseed/Linseed Oil, Sunflower Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Soya Lecithin (non GM), and Rice Bran Oil. It "provides a range of fatty acids including a 2:1:1 ratio of omega 3,6, and 9.

Is this good for my acne? Or is the even small amount of omega 6 oils like sunflower risking a breakout despite the much higher concentrations of omega 3 oils like flaxseed and evening primrose?

I'm not familiar with that brand, Antony, but it looks similar to Udo's, which is very good. I think Udo's may have pumpkin seed oil in it. Udoerasmus.com has some very good information regarding EFA's, ratios, links to research etc. Udo Erasmus came out with this oil blend, but the site is very informative--not just trying to sell the product.

Yeah cjb I've used Udo's in the past, had good results. It's from Vancouver like so many quality nutritional supplements esp. oils sold over here in Europe, including the FMD oils, which is funny as I'm from Vancouver originally but live in Dublin and find myself using all these great supplements from back home.

I think this Holland&Barret EFA blend should be pretty decent. It comes in a 500ml bottle and recommends 30ml servings per day. I think I'm going to have a 15ml serving per day and put the other 15ml on my face for 20 mins every night after steaming and before my 20 min egg/lemon mask.

Maybe this is overkill!!! I think acne.org has me thinking too much about acne!!!

It's actually better if you take fish oils rather than plant oils because it is more readily absorbed by your body. Be that as it may, there are some other benefits that can be derived from plant oils that one cannot get from fish oil alone. So a combination of the two is best.

Your best bets are" Health from the Sun" and "Swanson" vitamins.

Swanson EFA MultiOmega

Swanson EFA Super EPA

The Total EFA from Health From The Sun