Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

If Dan's regimen didn't work for you

I've been doing Dan's regimen for a while, and sometimes it worked great, and other times it didn't. I always thought it was because of other medications, diet, etc. It wasn't. It was because I wasn't using the BP gel correctly. Now I don't use B5 or antibiotics, and Dan's BP works great to keep my skin more clear than it was on B5 and antibiotics, just because I figured out that I was using it the wrong way.

From Dan's instructions:

"using your other index finger, dab the BP on your skin. Then spread the BP around VERY GENTLY with your fingers. Don't rub too hard. Applying BP this way requires patience, but the BP will eventually absorb into your skin. Go slowly. You want to touch your face so lightly that you can hardly see the skin move underneath."

This is VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

When you're putting on the BP gel, DON'T try to RUB IT IN. Think of it as "putting on a MASK of BP" on your face.

This may only work for you at night, because there's the possibility that there will be slight white streaks on your face, but this works VERY well.

Here's what I do:

Evening:

I squeeze out a large amount of BP and first I put a lot of BP on the areas where I have zits. I don't rub it in at all. I make "mountains" of BP on those areas. Then I wait for a minute or two, allowing my skin in those areas to absorb as much BP as it can. Then I start spreading that BP around with 2 fingertips: My right and left index or middle fingers. I don't want my hands to absorb ANY BP. (in the past, I used to rub it in with lots of fingers, trying to make it invisible. That didn't work) Spread it around very slowly and touching lightly. Once again, you're NOT trying to make it invisible. You're trying to put on a MASK of BP. Sooner or later the BP will get thicker so it will get harder to spread around. At this point, you may use a little more force to make it as invisible as you can; but if it's not, don't worry about it. That's it. I don't moisturize at night.

Morning:

I do the same thing, but with less BP, and I rub harder and faster, because I want it to be invisible. This DOES NOT work as well as the evening, but I have no other choice. It has to be invisible, and it's better than not wearing any BP at all. After that, I moisturize.

thanks for the advice, i will try it tonight..... cause i am experiencing the same thing.... kinda works kinda doesn't.

Is there scientific reasoning or something behind rubbing it in too hard or not?

nice advice i been on the regimen for 1 year and i am eathier almost clear or not never get totally clear or i breakout like crazy sometimes.. but ya i just tried ur advice and i dont kno if i did it right i put a lot more bp then i usually do then i barley used any pressure then i stood there for like a minute doing it then it started getting dry then i stopped and my face looked like it has a thin layer of white makup on it and my face feels like i have a dry mask on it when i smile it feels hella wierd am i doing it right?? how long did it take to see improvment? u are 100% clear from this? thnx

yeah great post, ive been on the regimen since september and while im 90% clear im not totally where i want to be and occasionally have an annoying breakout.

recently i went back over the videos and realized that when i apply the BP i do it way too hard and fast which causes more redness in my skin and probably more irritation and creating more pimples/making them stay longer.

i will try your recommendation and post on whether i see better results with that. thanks!

Hello

I've just found this website. I'm a 28yr old female and have suffered with acne since about 9 years old. I never thought it would be a life-long problem and am pretty much at wits end. After finally going to the Doctor's about 7 yrs ago, I started off with bp. This did work (yeah!) but the dry skin was unbearable and looked awful. I ended up with erythromycin antibiotics and these worked but my Doc. reduced the dose and my skins got worse. I'm about to go back as I now have acne in cyst form which is a new thing to me, it's always been whiteheads and blackheads and this is a new form which I'm hating! I had NLite laser therapy a few months ago and thought that would be a magic cure at least to some degree, but NO!!

My Doctor has always kind of scoffed at me when I go in, saying that it's really not that bad and basically it's all in my head. I always feel bad complaining about this as I know they are treating people with terminal illnesses and this must seem silly to them. I've not once been referred to a dermatologist, it's not been mentioned although I shall ask outright next visit. The only other thing they've advised me to do is to take the pill which I'm resisting doing if possible. I've not ever worn foundation type make up due to my spots but am thinking now I need to be getting some coverage on!

Acne has ruined my life and is continuing to do so. I really have had enough. It was 'good' to hear I'm not alone. People holding eye contact with you when in conversation is the sign of a true friend I've found!

I'll be curious to hear how this goes. However, I would say this is only a good experiment for people who have been on the regimen precisely for some time. The quote Teplo uses is definitely important and I have noticed in coaching people that they almost always rub too hard. So simply lessening your rubbing might get you guys to 100% clear.

Why? Well, it's all about avoiding irritation. You want your skin to remain untouched, so when you are applying product, you want to just smear it around without moving the skin underneath and "allow" the skin to absorb it rather than "forcing" the skin to absorb it.

LOW,

HI and welcome to the board. We can all sympathize with your feelings here! Acne is definitely not fun.

Please consider giving Dan's Clear Skin Regimen a try.

I have had acne for over 20 years, and done the whole gamut of dermatologist medications and treatments, too many to list them all. Always had some degree of success, but it was costly and time-consuming and always had undesireable side-effects. Anyway, did Accutane about 6 years ago and had clear skin for about 4 years, then it all started coming back within the last year or so. Anyway, I found this website a few months ago, and started Dan's regimen, and now I am starting my 7th week and my skin is as clear as it has ever been. This regimen does work! And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is fairly simple to do, and all the supplies are available over the counter. I have actually given up using foundation makeup since I began the regimen, and I love having a more natural appearance, so don't be real eager to start foundation if you are not already a user of it.

Anyway, read through the website, read Dan's description of his regimen, check out the "how to do it" and the "supplies you will need" page, and see what you think. Also read through the success stories. This Regimen has helped a lot of people.

We are all here for support and help, even just an ear to listen, so post back whenever you feel like it, or if you have any further questions.

Good luck.

Hi ppl... I'm what u'd term a 'newbie' but thought i'd add my contribution to the discussion.

Yeah, I would agree and say that the way one applies BP does affect its effectiveness. I remember when I first was given BP 2.5% by the doc, and I sorta tried it by 'spot' treating individual spots by squirting pea-sized or so quanitity on my first finger (the one closest to the thumb) (is it the index? I dunno... anyways...) and applying it quite hard and massaging it into the spots. The first few times I remember going a bit overboard and my skin went proper red and and started peeling... i even applied some under my eyes... and that peeled and eventually a few days later the skin went dark brown... didn't look good at all :-)

Anyways eventually my skin got used to it and didn't peel or go red any more but I stopped using it coz I didn't see any change or my spots actually improving.

Sorry, were was I?...Yes... Gentle application of BP.... Well many years down the line... I started getting fed up with the big spots and one day decided to use the old Oxy 'On the spot' tube I still had from before (checked the expiry date... still had a good few months left) but this time I for some reason just applied a very thin layer and ever so lightly too.... So went to sleep, not really expecting miracles given my previous experience... Woke up in the morning... WOW!!! I thought where is the huge zit gone...??!! OK it wasn't 'gone' gone... but it had SIGNIFICANTLY reduced in size and inflammation..

So next night, I started work on any hint of spots forming, any raised bumps... but coz I was covering so many I was starting to get impatient and would rush and apply pressure too much in the pursuit of getting it over with... So I decided to do another trick the following night.

This time I would get very small quantities of BP on to my little pinky finger (the shortest one furthest from my thumb) and use that finger to 'spot' treat the numerous formed zits and ones 'under development' as well... the theory being that I had the least power and control over the pinky/piggy finger and therefore the application wouldn't be so harsh or pressurised... sorta felt like applying BP with a numb finger... Anyways this method works a treat for me.. and works particularly well for spots that have not yet fully formed.. but you can tell they are on-route (you know the ones) ... wake up next morning... and you think... phew! that one's bit the dust!!

Sorry every1 for the lengthy post... thought I'd share...

Safe. Laterz all!!!!!

"I squeeze out a large amount of BP and first I put a lot of BP on the areas where I have zits. I don't rub it in at all. I make "mountains" of BP on those areas. Then I wait for a minute or two, allowing my skin in those areas to absorb as much BP as it can."

Very VERY bad idea and should be ignored,ok i tryed the regime at one time and did EXACTLY what you said here.

Ya know what happened?,i woke up to find big big red rings right around the zits i made mountains on.

maybe it's ok for non-sensitive skinned people,but if you have sensitive skin forget it.

Guest OrangeFlower

Mama35 is right. If you are not using foundation now, why start?

the natural appearance is way better!

Focus on clearing your skin first. When I saw my doctor last fall about my acne(to try a new treatment, I've in fact struggled with acne since I was 14, now I'm 22) he suggested that I stop using foundation. Since then I've stayed away from makeup. I actually feel better about my skin then why I was wearing it! Somehow it gave me more confidence. Even though my makeup was supposedly light and 'oil free' it was adding more grease to my face then I had realized. I just thought well I have oily skin and the makeup will help me camouflage.

Also, I know just how you feel about how acne is 'ruining your life'. I have put off plans to teach english in europe this fall because I feel 'ugly' and I want to fix this skin problem before going to a foreign country.

I look around and see many people my age with clear skin and I wonder what is wrong with me.

Luckily, there are so many products on the market today and such a wide variety of moisturizers-that are for acne prone skin -so don't lose hope.

biggrin.gif

Guys I found that above doesnt work as well as applying bp making it absorve all the way into skin (or not all the way) then APPLY it again over the bad spots and rub it in WAIT and APPLY lotion.

That method is better then apply huge amounts on your face because it gets it all in really fast and nice.

IMHO

"I squeeze out a large amount of BP and first I put a lot of BP on the areas where I have zits. I don't rub it in at all. I make "mountains" of BP on those areas. Then I wait for a minute or two, allowing my skin in those areas to absorb as much BP as it can."

Very VERY bad idea and should be ignored,ok i tryed the regime at one time and did EXACTLY what you said here.

Ya know what happened?,i woke up to find big big red rings right around the zits i made mountains on.

maybe it's ok for non-sensitive skinned people,but if you have sensitive skin forget it.

Hi

I want to add weight to this great twist on an already superb regimen.

Lather the bp on lightly, go have a cup of tea or something.Five minutes later, I kid you not, the cream will have been absorbed.

You use loads of bp, but DO NOT irritate skin by rubbing.

Heartili endorsed.

Lather the bp on lightly, go have a cup of tea or something.Five minutes later, I kid you not, the cream will have been absorbed.

Guest TylerD

So what are you saying. When you put the bp on you arent suppose to rub it in at all or what?? How does it even treat the acne if you dont rub it in doesnt it just sit on the top layer of the skin? Maybe i missed something could someone fill me in? Does it work better if you just apply it and let it sit there without rubbing it in?

I don't think that would work too well TylerD. You should gently massage it into your skin with one or two fingers. I don't think you should really rub it vigorously or just let it sit there.

When I used to just apply it to my face without and massaging action, I would still break out. Now that I've been massaging the bp into my face, i've been 98% percent clear for healf a year.

I actually put on the BP exactly like a mask, I put on a thick layer on the areas of breakout and just spread it around slightly. I then let it dry and put on the moisterizer, I only apply the BP at night, and so far I'm 99% clear and I've been using BP since November.

So what are you saying. When you put the bp on you arent suppose to rub it in at all or what?? How does it even treat the acne if you dont rub it in doesnt it just sit on the top layer of the skin? Maybe i missed something could someone fill me in? Does it work better if you just apply it and let it sit there without rubbing it in?

I actually put on the BP exactly like a mask, I put on a thick layer on the areas of breakout and just spread it around slightly. I then let it dry and put on the moisterizer, I only apply the BP at night, and so far I'm 99% clear and I've been using BP since November.