Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
healingskin

50% TCA Peel - My Progress

Hello everyone! I just opened my account today. I've used acne.org for a lot of support in the past few weeks, so this post is, in a way, my way of saying "thank you." Before I continue with my treatment, let me give you a bit of history. I am native American, my skin tone is a light copper. I had severe cystic acne throughout most of my adolescent life. I took Accutane, which I know helped some with the scarring, but there are still some scars on my chest, back, shoulders, and of course, my face. About 2 years ago, I started going to a dermatologist/aesthetician. My first peel, I asked to go strong, but she did not feel safe about it ...based on my darker complexion and all, so gradually over about a year, we got to about 20%. I was satisfied with the results. I got peels about once every 4-6 weeks, give or take. The first set of peels did not help much in way of my scars, but it did change my skin's behavior. It got a lot less oily and the tone was much more, um, even, I guess is the word. I've also done some home-peels using an old Navajo treatment that is a mixture of different and special ashes. Those were okay, but the ones from the dermatologist were a lot stronger. Okay, so now the TCA. I got my set from ebay. After all these years, I never even knew that I could get it from the Internet, and for such a great price. I didn't regret seeing the dermatologist because I learned a lot from her in way of how to do a peel. It was about a year and a half since my last peel. I applied the TCA on the side of my face (3/4/05), not expecting it to go very deep, but it went deep, so deep that I didn't come into work for an entire week. I'm a middle school teacher, but I let my principal know, and I came in at night to do paperwork and all. My appearance was so hideous, and all the feelings back when I was an adolescent came back. The week went by, and the scabs fell off, but on Friday of that week (3/11/05), I decided to another one closer to my mouth, a bit on my nose, and around my cheekbone areas ...since it was Spring Break, and I could that time to heal. The scabs fell off by Sunday, and there is a redness that is still here (I'm approaching 4 weeks since the first one). But by week three, I woke up with the worse acne in my adult life (3/20/05)! And I had to go to work like that. The students were really understanding, and the staff knows that I'd like to keep to myself about the whole skin thing. But to make things worse, we also had parent-teacher conferences that week! (I have a conference that I was presenting at next Friday - 4/8 - I really hope to see more improvement by then ...knock on wood.) The worse acne spot was just under my left eye ...that was excruciating. It was about the size of a large marble. Another bad one was a pimple that grew in my eyelid ...that was a first (my eyes swole shut). I applied a series of hot compresses using a wet washcloth and a lot of the pimples burst, but slowly so as to minimize the after-hole that could result in more scars. I'm glad to say that as of Sunday (3/27/05), my break out has subsided, and now I'm left with the redness, which I know will go away. Overall, I'm quite happy with the treatment. Many of my scars have gone away considerably, unfortunately I did not take pictures, but I can post some next Monday, if anyone wants to see the redness (I actually did take pictures, but I was so apalled by them, that I erased them). I also did portions of my back, and I will do more probably this weekend. The only thing with my back is that it is difficult sleeping, because turns and tosses sometimes break up scabs before they are ready to fall off. I will definitely do 1 more TCA peel on my face, but not until summer break when I have 3 months to heal. Keep fighting the good fight!

Im doing TCA cross with 50% to but I'm only a week in so i dont know how much it will help me yet..

When you did your 50% tca cross how much acid did you apply to the scar???

Did you use a toothpick or somethin else?

Im doing TCA cross with 50% to but I'm only a week in so i dont know how much it will help me yet..

When you did your 50% tca cross how much acid did you apply to the scar???

Did you use a toothpick or somethin else?

whew!, ok you totaly scared me there,lol

I myself did TCA CROSS 50% on my icepicks but i dont think i applied enough even though it's only been a day that has gone by but i don't even have any redness or crust yet in those spots, the only thing is that some of them look a little more deeper ,

i am wondering how long should i waite till i do it again and this time not dig in so deep but press just enough to get more TCA in it, i don't know darn it

I will give this atleast 4 or 5 more days to see if they scab over.

I am thinking my face is just too oily and maybe that could be it confused.gif

After reading some other recent posts I think i will waite before i do this re-do my CROSS, even if they scab over or not, i know i still did something so i will let whatever the heck i did heal.

whew!, ok you totaly scared me there,lol

I myself did TCA CROSS 50% on my icepicks but i dont think i applied enough even though it's only been a day that has gone by but i don't even have any redness or crust yet in those spots, the only thing is that some of them look a little more deeper ,

i am wondering how long should i waite till i do it again and this time not dig in so deep but press just enough to get more TCA in it, i don't know darn it

I will give this atleast 4 or 5 more days to see if they scab over.

I am thinking my face is just too oily and maybe that could be it confused.gif

Oily skin will definitely decrease the potency of your peel.  You should wash with soap, first, then apply an astringent.  When you put yours on, could feel the burn?  No burn, no peel.

I crossed more of my scars on my right side and i must have some pretty tough skin because really, i had more pain with glycolic acid which by the way did nothing for my scars.....so doing a full face treatment using 50% will be of no concern to me....i'm sure everyone's tolerance when it comes to pain will vary...my skin has been through alot worse and i'm pretty confident doing this...i will first cross all my scars prior to the peel.

yea im pretty sure i can do a 50% on my face, it isnt so bad the stinging... but i rather not i just put it on certain spots on my face not cross way, i think that gives u deeper holes???

Yes, i know the procedure seems scary...but have u seen Reilly's b4 and after pics?...this method has given me so much hope....i am hoping after a couple peels, this will smoothen out my scars. cool.gif