Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
julieta

Foundation or no Foundation?

Lots of people keep telling me not to use foundation because it will make my acne worse. But i tell them that as long as u use one that is good for your skin it's fine! But they keep on insisting.....(I'm going to switch to mineral make-up)

Any opinions on this?

Thanks

I've read that as long as foundation is oil-free and is marked non-comedogenic (wont clog pores), that it shouldnt make acne worse. they also have makeup with salylic acid in it which is supposed to help acne, but i never use it cuz i dont want it to dry out my skin.

-misha

I've read that as long as foundation is oil-free and is marked non-comedogenic (wont clog pores), that it shouldnt make acne worse.  they also have makeup with salylic acid in it which is supposed to help acne, but i never use it cuz i dont want it to dry out my skin.

-misha

My dermatologist has always said make-up is fine as long as it's non comedogenic (as mentioned above) and importantly, as long as you remove it thoroughly at the end of the day. There's no way an acne sufferer can be expected to be confident and happy without foundation, so for psychological reasons alone I say go for it!

My dermatologist has always said make-up is fine as long as it's non comedogenic (as mentioned above) and importantly, as long as you remove it thoroughly at the end of the day. There's no way an acne sufferer can be expected to be confident and happy without foundation, so for psychological reasons alone I say go for it!

I've been wearing foundation for about 7 years and it's never made me break out. My acne is purely hormonal.

i agree with all these wise ladies' posts!

make-up, as long as it's "skin safe" (non comedogenic, etc), can be an incredible tool to give us the confidence to face the world, go out and have a good time, and quit hiding!!! eusa_dance.gif

one thing though--if you're on Accutane, I would stay away from make-up with Salicylic Acid as it might be too irritating and cause flakiness.

Now...if only we can find the PERFECT NATURAL SHADE!!! arrrghhh... eusa_wall.gif

quitting conventional makeup and switching to mineral makeup is the best thing I've ever done for my skin. I agree absolutely that if you have to wear it for self esteem/psychological reasons, that merits wearing it. If I didn't have makeup, I would be a total recluse. But there is so much crap in regular makeup that is bad for your skin.. even if it doesn't make you break out. I switched to mineral makeup about 3 months ago. I highly recommend ordering samples as it seems like good makeup is a very individual thing. The best dry mineral makeup IMO is Jlynne's. But I'm now using deepest beauty's liquid minerals and it truly is the best makeup I've ever tried. It just WORKS in all the ways you want makeup to work. Unfortuanatly she doesn't offer samples.