Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hocomd

Anyone complete treatment on only 20mg a day?

I'm on month 2, clavaris 20mg a day. 175 pounds, mild acne. I'm very dry and it seems to be clearing up nicely. Has anyone gone the full term with a low dosage? The doctor told me I would have to stay on this much longer since the dosage is so low. How long do you think i will have to take it? I was hoping to be done by 6 months. No new breakouts, just lots of blackheads coming out. Worst I had was about 5 huge whitehead/cysts around week 3.

I'm on month 2, clavaris 20mg a day.  175 pounds, mild acne.  I'm very dry and it seems to be clearing up nicely.  Has anyone gone the full term with a low dosage?  The doctor told me I would have to stay on this much longer since the dosage is so low.  How long do you think i will have to take it?  I was hoping to be done by 6 months.  No new breakouts, just lots of blackheads coming out.  Worst I had was about 5 huge whitehead/cysts around week 3.

16 months! OUCH! I have been on just about every type of medication known to man trying to clear up my acne for 25 years. Been to 4 dermatolgists and 3 out of the 4 would not give it to me. Went to a new one and he even suggested it. I am embarassed being with acne at 40+. I wonder if I do this for only a year if it would be enough to kill it off for good? I can't imagine doing it for 16 months. Do you think the same formula applies to mild acne? Thanks for doing the calculations for me, much appreciated. I wonder if "not taking it long enough" or "low dosage" contributes to relapse?

Well if you double the dose you halve the course: 40mg/day would let you do it in 8 months. If you triple the dose you third the course: 60 mg/day for just over 5 months.

If you respond well to the drug and do not appear to be suffering any side-effects, ask to raise your dose to 40 and then 60 at least for a month or to before tapering back down to 40 and then finishing with the last month on 20, a sort of "pyramid dosage," which is what many derms do. This will enable you to achieve the ideal cumulative total of 125mg/kg in less time.

As for whether you can guarantee remission with less than the cumulative total dosage of 125mg/kg depends on your individual response to the drug. As a rule of thumb almost all derms follow this cumulative standard to get the best possible effect, a sustained and prolonged if not permanent clearing, out of the course.

My reasoning is that if you are doing a course of Accutane/Claravis/equivalent, you might as well get the most out of it and go all the way. Taking Accutane in terms of curing your acne is like playing a game of chicken between two cars at night in an empty parking lot: you won't necessarily "win" if you drive straight ahead at top speed (as the higher your daily dose the likelier and worse the side-effects despite the better the effect of the drug on the acne), but you're also limiting your chance of "winning" if you just crawl ahead at 5km/h (or 20mg/day for over a year at 80kg). You're best off going fast and furious but at a speed which keeps you in control of the car and the situation. So if you're going to bother with the drying and the chapping and the blood tests, you might as well go through 5 months of a higher degree of it and virtually guarantee your acne's remission than just go through a year or so of very little side-effect with only relative chances of "cure" versus relapse.

I’ve spent the majority of my treatment on twenty milligrams a day for cystic acne and it worked extremely well. The reason that my doctor kept me on such a low dose was due to the reaction my skin had to a higher dose.

I’ve spent the majority of my treatment on twenty milligrams a day for cystic acne and it worked extremely well.  The reason that my doctor kept me on such a low dose was due to the reaction my skin had to a higher dose.

do you use any other topicals on the low dose?

my doc prescribed me and BP 3% cleanser :: will this overdry me??

what about using a oil-free moisterizer with .05 salycilic acid???

how are the side effects on 20mg a day? I weight 170 and will start my low dose course on monday:::

do you use any other topicals on the low dose? 

my doc prescribed me and BP 3% cleanser  :: will this overdry me??

what about using a oil-free moisterizer with .05 salycilic acid???

how are the side effects on 20mg a day? I weight 170 and will start my low dose course on monday:::

my derm suggest me to take 10mg/day for 20 months !! im currently in 4th week of accutance, chapped lip , n hair drop only. im 55 kg. I saw many website that' taking accutance in low dose for long period is not recommended' .. so any ideas? eusa_pray.gif