Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi i was just wondering if anyone as had the Nlite laser and as it impoved their acne? because ive had like 8 sessons and it as done very little for me and i dont know whether to carry on with it. Im also on antibiotics Doxycycline 100mg a day (ive only been on them a week) and im applying Duac gel in the day and isotrexin gel at night. i have been using this gel's for about 14 months on and off but nothing is working i don't know maybe im not using the gel's enough my derm thinks me skin as impoved but i can't see much change i have tried everything for my skin and nothing as worked i think im making it worse where i keep thinking and worrying about!

I did N-Lite.

2 sessions 2 weeks apart. And I'm thinking of maybe going back in about a month, which will be for a third session 2 months after the last.

I really can't say whether it helped me significantly. I've been eating very, very healthily-- drinking loads of water with fresh lemon squeezes, loads of fruits and vegetables, brown rice, tuna and salmon, and little to no milk, bread, sugar, etc.-- plus I've also been doing the egg/lemon mask nightly 30 mins. after 10 mins. face steaming over hot water in sink plus emu oil moisturizer plus acidophiuls w/ multivitamin and more of vitamins a,b,c,e,zinc,selenium,chromium, saw palmetto and DermaCleanse from http://zenmed.com. So I really can't isolate the variable for my improvement-- and it has been a considerable improvement-- to just the N-Lite.

Go here http://www.thempc.co.uk/ppts/chu_trial.ppt for a PowerPoint file I found while researching N-Lite before deciding to give it a go. This should give you some good background info.

It's supposed to be a gradual but measurable improvement.

The average person is supposed to have about 50% clearing after 2-3 months.

My first one was almost 6 weeks ago and I'm almost totally clear except for red marks (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) from my last major breakout in Jan-Feb.

However whether my significant clearing in the last few weeks is primarily let alone exclusively the effect of the N-Lite I can't ascertain.

They seem to have reallly backed up its efficacy in clinical trials; however, I've also read somewhere that they recently tested it in a different way which showed it's more or less ineffective. In the pro- N-Lite trial when they were first marketing it, they used it on lots of different people to see if their acne improved, but in a recent trial to second-guess the N-Lite, an independent study had the N-Lite done only on HALF the face of the patients, just on one side, to see if the N-Lite treated side improved in relation to the untreated side of their face. Apparently, after weeks to several months, their acne wasn't really any better on the N-Lite side than the regular side.

Thanks Anthony for replying wow you seem really heathly im glad it's working for you, i do think diet as something to do with acne ive tried cutting bread , milk etc out and it helped a little its just that its so hard to keep to it, im not a really unheathly eater anyway. I think with me its hormonal and stress the only good thing is is that Dr Chu is my doctor and he seems to be the best man for the job lol so im sure it well clear up eventually!

Wow well you've gone straight to the source

Good luck with it!

But you say you've already had EIGHT sessions??!!

To my understanding the protocol is usually 1 session, then 2 weeks later another session, then another 1-2 months later, and that's usually enough even for severe acne.

The N-Lite works primarily by killing the P. acnes bacteria with the deep-penetrating yellow light and by stimulating collagen production and by provoking an inflammatory reaction thus prompting the blood vessels and even to some extent the sebaceous glands to seal off-- but this requires giving the skin some time to heal and repair, both the collagen and to calm down from the inflammatory effect.

Surely EIGHT sessions is a bit much?

Are you like a guinea pig of sorts for Dr. Chu? eusa_think.gif

lol yeah he probably is and hasn't told me! I had my first laser last january(2004) then i had another 3 months later then when i went back too see Dr chu he told me to have the laser once every month so ive been going every month, the last time i had a treatment was in feb (2005) and he told to have another in two months time so il be going back in may.I must admit last summer my skin didn't look to bad at all but at the moment im breaking out with big red painfull spots and its sooo depressing but my skin does always seem to get worser in the winter. The thing that i have notice with the laser is that straight after i have it my skin looks more plumped up "in a good way! lol and healther so it gotta be doing something hey! Anthony have you ever been on any meds like antibiotics or roaccutane?

Guest Craigems

nope i did blue light and it didnt work.

I had 3 sessions of Nlite 2 weeks apart way back in 2003. I was almost clear for about 4-5 months post treatment. I started breaking out badly last year in April I went to see them (Private Clinic, Harley St, London) and had another 2 sessions but this time in vain. I am on 5th day of my accutane course and I am very optimisitc about it reading all the success stories. I would suggest any1 with moderate-severe acne not to waste any time/money on these lasers, anti biotic stuff. My conclusion is none of them works for long time and you need up in agony and despair.

Yeah but i have been on roaccutane twice and the acne still came back! i have been on loads of diffrent antibiotics and they have never worked the only reason im taking Doxy now is because i totally trust Dr Chu (he never put me on Roaccutane another Derm did) and Dr Chu said to me if roaccutane didn't work the first time it's not gonna work a second time! I wish i would have know that!!. So laser is like my last option unless i go live on a beach some where and sunbath and relax all day lol my skin seems to clear up in the sun!.

ukgirl: dr. you've been on accutane twice and still relapsed? may i ask how old you are?

fireh0t: i agree, i think any of these blue/yellow laser treatments is only worthwhile for mild acne. however someone like ukgirl is kinda forced to explore alternative treatments after accutane failed her twice.

craigems: nlite uses yellow light which in theory penetrates deeper in the dermis than blue light. though i must say that i don't think i really can attribute my clearing to nlite specifically, and i did find certain studies discouraging where they took lots of acne sufferers and did the nlite on only half their face to to see if that half got better with time, but weeks and months later both sides still had the same amount of acne and either improved, maintained or worsened to the same extent.

i think that looking into laser treatment like this is really only worthwhile for mild acne or if you've exhausted more proven treatment options like accutane.

bear in mind these laser treatments are all spin-offs of technologies originally developed and performed for anti-aging/wrinkle treatments for loaded posh older women-- so the doctors selling them are very experienced at presenting miracle cures as clinical certainties

Thanks Anthony for replying wow you seem really heathly im glad it's working for you, i do think diet as something to do with acne ive tried cutting bread , milk etc out and it helped a little its just that its so hard to keep to it, im not a really unheathly eater anyway. I think with me its hormonal and stress the only good thing is is that Dr Chu is my doctor and he seems to be the best man for the job lol so im sure it well clear up eventually!

Antony im 26 this month, i went on roaccutane when i was 19 my skin was clear for nearly a year when i came off of it, then the acne returned. When i was 21 i had another course of roaccutane which i wish i wouldn't have as i feel it did not work as well as the first time and my acne came straight back . My acne is mild most of the time but lately i have been getting some cysts and they hurt big time.

UK Guy: i went to my GP and ask to be referred to Dr Chu. The first time i went to see Dr Chu i told him that my sister had acne too and that she wanted the laser aswell and he told me to make an appointment for her so she didn't even need a referral from the GP. If your GP won't refer you phone Hammersmith Hosiptal and ask them to put you thru to private outpatients and ask someone what you should do, they are really helpful.

Antony im 26 this month, i went on roaccutane when i was 19 my skin was clear for nearly a year when i came off of it, then the acne returned. When i was 21 i had another course of roaccutane which i wish i wouldn't have as i feel it did not work as well as the first time and my acne came straight back . My acne is mild most of the time but lately i have been getting some cysts and they hurt big time.

UK Guy: i went to my GP and ask to be referred to Dr Chu. The first time i went to see Dr Chu i told him that my sister had acne too and that she wanted the laser aswell and he told me to make an appointment for her so she didn't even need a referral from the GP. If your GP won't refer you phone Hammersmith Hosiptal and ask them to put you thru to private outpatients and ask someone what you should do, they are really helpful.

Thanks Antony im gonna give the liver flushes a try and see how it goes, i tried dianette for a month (i know this was not long enough) but it gave me headaches so i stoped taking it and the Dr said as soon as you come off of Dianette your acne well probably come back! so i thought to my self whats the point of that cos i sure don't wanna rely on that for the rest of my life, i have taken so much medication over the years for my acne and none of it as really helped i think changing my diet long term is the only way to go!.

IAcne is a far more complicated phenonemenon with females; whereas with males they can expect at worst to have severe acne in their teen years to early twenties at the latest, it is very rare for a male, but increasingly common for a female, to experience persistent adult or adult onset acne, at 25+ and beyond.

Thanks for the info. BTW does Dr. Chu never prescribe acutane, as I actually think I should try a course of that, I've exhausted most of the other options (many different topical and oral antibiotics, differin, Clearlight therapy, Benzoyl Peroxide, Retin-A, holistic and diet based approaches etc.)