Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shutitdown

White Scars on Chest?

Hello,

Thanks to spironolactone, I am clearing up nicely. For this first time in my life I don't have to wears shirts up to my friggin' chin!

My question is...now that I'm not breaking out anymore on my chest, there are these left over scars from the pimples that formed under the skin then healed. They are white and a little raised. So now I have a somewhat splotchy look on my chest. cry.gif

Can anyone tell me what these are called and perhaps recommend some treaments to fade them? I have a needle phobia so injections are my last option.

Thanks for any help! biggrin.gif

PoftheU

hi

i have those all over my chest and shoulders. They came up during my accutane treatment a few years ago and are still here. At the time my derm identified them and said they can be taken care of no probs but i havnt done anything about it yet. Prob will at some point tho.

Hi,

what you are referring to sounds like areas of scar tissue left over from the active acne. In areas where the acne was quite severe, the skin would have been damaged beneath the dermis, meaning that it is unable to fully repair. This can form hypertrophic scar tissue, where it is white-ish in colour, and raised, or atrophic, where it is white also, but indented.

Unfortunately, there aren't a great deal of options open to treating actual scar tissue such as this. The good news is that the scar tissue will usually return to a more normal skin colour with time.

The treatments you could look into could include:

- repigmentation. - an aesthetician will inject pigment into the area using a needle. The pigment will make the scar tissue look less conspicuous.

- Scalpel excision. - this involves a surgeon cutting the scar tissue and pulling the normal skin on either side of the scar together so that the scar is 'sewn together' with stitches, which are removed after a couple of weeks.

This works best with atrophic (indented) scarring, and will usually leave a thin line as a scar rather than the round patches of scar tissue that are giving you the 'blotchy' effect.

- Silicon gel sheets - these can be quite effective at flattening out the raised scar tissue if worn consistently over a period of a couple of months. They will not get rid of the scar tissue, but can flatten it somewhat.

- AHA/BHA peels (lactic, salicylic, kojic, glycolic etc) - these may also help to flatten out the raised scar tissue, but again, will not get rid of the scar tissue.

Hope some of this is helpful. Stay positive.

smile.gif

I was actually just doing some research on this, the technical term is "Follicular macular atrophy", and yeah, little can be done to totally get rid of this. I have it on my upper arms and back and what's worse is that it's exacerbated by tanning.  sad.gif

Well whatever it is or whatever type of scarring, I have it too and lots of it and I have asked dr. after dr. and nobody is very helpful. I just cannot go through some horrible painful operation or procedure to have these removed from my chest and back. It's so gross though!

I have those scars ALL OVER my shoulders and shoulder blades. For some reason though, they seem to be trailing down my arms a little and i havent had acne on my arms that could cause these so im very confused. At any rate, i heard from a plastic surgen that there IS something that can be done about it. He says that dermabrasion can help as these scars are RAISED. people dont suggest dermabrasion for the back because the scars are usually indented and dermabrasion can do much for indented scars on the back as the surrounding skin is thicker than that of the face. RAISED scars on the other hand seem to be more easily improved by this method. Im still looking into it all to make sure this doc isnt feeding people full of crap, but personally i cant see why this WOULDNT work.