Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phalanx

Interesting side effects of my illness noted...

I've had moderate acne since I was a teenager - it never clears up but it never gets unbearable. I'd been trying the regimen for about a week when I came down with a severe illness that left me with a high fever on bedrest for 3 days. Even with medication my temperature didn't drop much below 101 and it peaked at 104. I was in and out of the hospital twice, under a lot of stress, unable to eat or shower or really do anything let alone clean my face. I'm on the mend but during that time, it was my expectation that my acne would turn absoultely awful. However, the most interesting thing occurred, all the acne on my entire body completely cleared up and there were no new pimples, even given that I was sweaty and rubbing my face and sleeping and stuff for 72 hours. That sounds like a recipie for disaster. So I got to thinking, a fever is a response from the body targeted to assist the immune system in killing bacteria because most bacteria that thrive on/in the body can only survive in a narrow temperature window 98.5 +- a degree. The body kills them with heat leaving the white blood cells to combat the heartier ones. My thought is this, if my body temperature was increased, which in turn caused an increase in my skin temperature (I was burning hot all the time) could the fever have made the skin pores too hot for the bacteria to live in - hence cleaning up all the acne on my entire body? If this is the case, perhaps it would be of use to investigate the daily usage of heat for a certain period of time on the skin to achieve the same results? This is pure specualtion btw, but it was such a dramatic change and so unexpected this was the only outcome I could come up with. As a side note, I was not on any other medication than just Tylenol (no antibiotics). It seems like this would have been something that would have been tried and tested years ago. If stopping acne is all about preventing bacteria from thriving by any means, heat is definately one way to do it.

Let me know what you think!

I've had moderate acne since I was a teenager - it never clears up but it never gets unbearable.  I'd been trying the regimen for about a week when I came down with a severe illness that left me with a high fever on bedrest for 3 days.  Even with medication my temperature didn't drop much below 101 and it peaked at 104.  I was in and out of the hospital twice, under a lot of stress, unable to eat or shower or really do anything let alone clean my face.  I'm on the mend but during that time, it was my expectation that my acne would turn absoultely awful.  However, the most interesting thing occurred, all the acne on my entire body completely cleared up and there were no new pimples, even given that I was sweaty and rubbing my face and sleeping and stuff for 72 hours.  That sounds like a recipie for disaster.  So I got to thinking, a fever is a response from the body targeted to assist the immune system in killing bacteria because most bacteria that thrive on/in the body can only survive in a narrow temperature window 98.5 +- a degree.  The body kills them with heat leaving the white blood cells to combat the heartier ones.  My thought is this, if my body temperature was increased, which in turn caused an increase in my skin temperature (I was burning hot all the time) could the fever have made the skin pores too hot for the bacteria to live in - hence cleaning up all the acne on my entire body?  If this is the case, perhaps it would be of use to investigate the daily usage of heat for a certain period of time on the skin to achieve the same results?  This is pure specualtion btw, but it was such a dramatic change and so unexpected this was the only outcome I could come up with.  As a side note, I was not on any other medication than just Tylenol (no antibiotics).    It seems like this would have been something that would have been tried and tested years ago.  If stopping acne is all about preventing bacteria from thriving by any means, heat is definately one way to do it.

Let me know what you think!