Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pooper518

My Journey on Dan's Regimen

Hi everyone.

My name is Miriam and I've been suffering from mild-moderate acne since I was about 14 (I'm now 19). Like so many others on this board, nothing has really worked for me. I've tried Retin-A Micro (which practically burned my face off), generic tretinoin, Duac gel, Klaron, Plexion, and countless OTC benzoyl peroxide products (10%). None of them have worked, and if anything, made my face so dry and cracked that I felt even more self-conscious talking to people.

I am going to Egypt in 5 weeks and am determined to rid myself of this acne before then... at least I hope I can. The last time I was in Egypt, I had no active acne and felt absolutely beautiful. I really want this feeling back for good.

I bought the proactive kit and have been using it for about a week. I stopped using the Proactiv cleanser and toner because I felt they were too harsh, so for the past 2 days, I have been somewhat strictly adhering to Dan's regimen using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, left over Proactiv BP Gel, and Cetaphil non-comodogenic, senstive skin lotion. Here is a formal list of what i do and use:

Morning -

1. Wash skin for about 30 seconds with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Wait 5-10 minutes.

2. Gently apply about one half finger of Proactiv BP gel. (I am switiching to Dan's BP gel as soon as it comes in the mail). Wait 5-10 minutes.

3. Moisturize with Cetaphil.

Night -

exactly the same as morning.

My skin has gotten tight and a bit dry in the past two days but nothing to deter me from this regimen. At one point last year, I was using SA pads, Retin A-micro, AND 10% BP at night. I think I can handle some irritation from the regimen.

My problem area are my cheeks. I get pimples there (not really cysts) and they leave awful red marks. Hopefully I can put up pictures soon.

I'm keeping this journal for anyone who needs insight, encouragement and also for myself, so i can note progress or regression. Please give me back some input and encouragement - I need it at this point. None of my friends have active acne. sad.gif

Okay so I apologize for the long entry. Here goes:

Day 2

Forehead - pretty much clear except for little, teeny whiteheads that have popped up from nowhere.

Nose - recovering from what i think was a cyst. I NEVER break out on my nose but the other day, after putting a little proactiv on it, I got this cyst. It's going away though.

Cheeks - 2 red, active pimples and those damn little whiteheads that i never used to have.

Chin - Healing from an old pimple and can feel a GIANT, painful one coming. This is rare - I usually don't break out here.

I'll keep you posted as to how I do. I'm optimistic. smile.gif

Miriam

I stopped using the Proactiv cleanser and toner because I felt they were too harsh, so for the past 2 days, I have been somewhat strictly adhering to Dan's regimen using Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, left over Proactiv BP Gel, and Cetaphil non-comodogenic, senstive skin lotion.  Here is a formal list of what i do and use:

Day 3

All seems to be going well. Just to clarify, this is my second week of using Proactiv BP gel, but I only began using it in Dan's regime 3 days ago.

Not much burning or redness, even after I worked out. I simply washed my face with warm water, gently patted it dry, and was okay for the rest of the day.

Dan's BP gel still hasn't arrived yet so I'm waiting anxiously. Anyway.. here is the lowdown:

Forehead: clear! even those pesty whiteheads seem to be going away. absolutely no irritation.

Cheeks: About 2 or 3 larger, active pimples and those teeny, weeny whiteheads. I honestly think the BP gel is surfacing all the crap that was below my skin and I hope it gets better.

Chin: a somewhat large, painful pimple that is now white. but i've resisted the urge to pop it. go me. biggrin.gif

Nose: still recovering from that awful cyst. but it's going down nicely.

The BP is making every pimple I have turn into a reddish/brown mark, but, I can live with these for now since I already have some on my cheeks. I think the key is to get rid of the acne completely so I won't ever get red marks again.

On the whole, i am VERY happy with results so far. Even though I'm not much clearer, the BP hasn't burned my face off like proactiv, is easy to apply, and has given my skin a nice even skin tone and healthy looking glow. I rreeeally hope when I up the amount of BP next week, that i get clearer. Patience...

Day 4

Several things to note today:

Forehead: Clear, but i developed a light brownish patch over my eye. I'm sure it's from the BP, but it doesn't look like a burn. Does anyone know what it is and when it will go away?

Cheeks: 8 active pimples total on both cheeks (left is worse than the right)!!! Those teeny, weeny whiteheads became larger yesterday and I truly hope that the acne is running its course and that it's just going to get worse before it gets better. Can anyone give me some advice or encouragement on the "worse before better" thing? Did it happen to you? When did it start getting better?

Nose: Still recovering from that cyst. It just left a crappy brown mark. sad.gif

Chin: No new pimples although i think I can feeel a couple under the skin.

Still using Cetaphil products, which I love. The lotion though is leaving me a little oily during the day. i think i'll apply a little less.

Overall, the red marks seem to be fading. I really like the fact that my skin tone is evening out (despite that funky brown patch over my eye), but I want all the pimples to go away too. sad.gif Tell me it will get better...

Day 5

Umm.. no one's really replying to me. that's a bit discouraging, but anyway.

My face looks worse than it did when i started. Sure, the skin tone is nice but i'm peeling and breaking out pretty badly. I hope it gets better.

Forehead: clear

Cheeks: 8 active pimples still. a couple new ones seem like they are coming

Nose: Clear

Chin: Yet another big pimple seems to be on its way. I even think it's a cyst and i honestly have never gotten cysts before starting BP.

I'm almost out of the Proactive BP so I hope Dan's gel comes in the mail ASAP. Please send some feedback. I'm getting discouraged. Maybe I should go back onto retin-A and burn my face. At least I was relatively clear then. sad.gif

I hope it works out for you. Whenever I use acne medication my forehead is always the first and only thing that will be clear 99%. Its so odd.

It sounds like you're pretty much following the regimen, so give it 2-3 full months of strict adherence. One thing I would suggest is washing for a much shorter period of time. Try 10 seconds max. And hardly touch your skin when you do. Check out http://www.acne.org/video.html and watch those a few times if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Dan

I have the same problem. I was relatively clear before, but want to be all the way clear. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and It has done nothing but make my face worse. My skin even feels worse. I'm really thinking about trying something else, mainly because I've never gotten cysts either, and never had any scars...but now my pimples are doing both .

It seems that benzoyl peroxide does indeed have an initial breakout for some people, which can vary greatly depending on your skin. Good luck

Day 7

Well, I'm pretty happy today. I used a little more Proactiv BP gel than usual last night so my face was pretty red, but the red marks seem to be going away and I only have about 4 active pimples on my face.

Forehead: Still clear.

Cheeks: 3 active pimples. 1 forming. Looks better though aside from the redness, slight itchiness and peeling.

Chin: 2 tiny whiteheads developed last night. But they are minor...

Nose: Clear.

My face is more tan than my neck, etc. I don't really like it but the BP-induced tan seems to have evened out my skin tone. Does this side effect go away after using BP for a while? Will it go away once I start using Dan's BP gel?

I'm still using the products I listed in my first entry, however I introduced Aveeno Gentle Scrub just to wipe away all the fakes and to exfoliate. I'll use that every other night so I don't irritate my skin too much. So far, so good.. I reeeeally want to get 100% clear soon.

Day 8

Well, all seems to be going well. Except my face is pretty dry and peeling/flaking in the area near my mouth. I think I'm going to switch from Cetaphil to Eucerin Skin Renewal Moisturizer in a week or so.

Forehead: Clear, litle oily.

Cheeks: Only like 2 active pimples. Red marks seem to be fading quickly and my pores look so much smaller!!! Cheeks are a little itchy though.

Chin: Blackhead that's turning into a bump. A bit annoying but I'll just zap it with some BP. smile.gif

Nose: Still clear.

If Dan's gel doesn't get here soon, I'm going to freak. I don't want to resort to Neutrogena On-the-Spot and subject my face to constantly changing BP formulas.

For all those who are on the regimen or have used it. Are you 100% clear? Can I expect that? I feel like I'm on my way...

Miriam

Guest TylerD

Im 100% clear from acne i just got like one tiny one on my forehead thats about it. My redmarks are almost gone too my chin is completely clear practically and pretty much samme with the left side of my face just the right side has a few more red marks but they are healing fast u should be clear in no time. Just be patient. And my bp came in exactly 3 weeks so u should get your's pretty soon depending on when you ordered it and where you live. Good luck. Peace.

Hey Tyler, sorry if you've answered this somewhere before but how long did it take you to get 100% clear?

And thanks for the encouragement. biggrin.gif

Guest TylerD

Im always willing to answer any questions you have to ask. Dont hessitate at all. But anyway i used proactiv about 2.5 or 3 weeks ago and i just switched to dans like 3 days ago and im 100% clear right now except for the red marks but they are very small and minor. So i guess it only took me rougly about 3 weeks lol. It seems you are having good progress with the regimen. As soon as Dans bp comes for you im sure u will get much better results his stuff is really good. Good luck and keep posting your results.

Keep up the great work Miriam!! Looks like your making great progress so far. I went through the exact same thing when I first started the regimine, especially the BP Tan, everyone kept asking if I went on vacaction recently. The dryness and redness was awful for the first three weeks as well and I actually went off the BP for a week tryign something more natural...BIG Mistake!! I went back on the regimine for a second time and had no problems as long as I didn't use more than a quarter finger full of BP (I have sensitive skin) This however has kept me 95% clear and I don't suffer from dryness/redness at all anymore. Just be careful around your eye area and neck. These can tend to dry out without you even getting bp on or near those areas. Make sure those areas are moisturized before you apply bp and be careful when applying. Also keep in mind Dan's exact regimine might not be the best for you. The principals of gentle cleansing, bp, and moisturizing work fabulously but your skin might not need or be able to handle the full amount the Regimine suggests. After awhile you might want to try baking soda to exfoliate and apple cidar vinegar for the red marks, there are many posts about those on here, and they work really well!

Thanks for the posts everyone. I was really happy to see them today especially since the girl I babysit for gave me a hard time and even whacked me in the face. Ouch...

Today, in class, my professor, whom I haven't seen in about a week said "Wow, Miriam you look so tan!" Now, had I been in the sun all day, I would've felt somewhat complimented. But no. I already have tan/olivy skin and don't like to get darker unless the rest of my body is matching. Calll me crazy.

Here goes. Keep in mind this is like my 3rd week on Proactiv BP gel but only Day 9 of using it the way Dan specifies in his regimen. Again, i don't use the Proactiv cleanser or toner b/c I think they are too harsh.

Day 9

Forehead: Still clear. I think I have those teeny, weeny whiteheads again but they are barely noticeable. When I used to use 10% BP, my forehead was crystal clear. But i'm happy with it regardless.

Cheeks: 1 active pimple and I don't see any forming!! Knock on wood. I hope these red marks go away fast. I will definitely try that ACV and Baking soda combo some time in the future when I'm not uber stressed with school and work.

Nose: Clear.

Chin: 1 large pimple, but I think this was my fault. I picked at a blackhead yesterday and wouldn't leave it alone. It erupted into a full blown pimple but I'm sure it'll go away in a few days.

I'm really impressed with the way my cheeks have cleared up. However, I keep getting redder and peeling more. Since Dan's BP gel arrived today (yahoo!!!!), I think I will only start with a 1/4 finger to help alleviate the redness/dryness even though that's probably less than the amount of proactiv gel I've been using (like a finger's worth).

I can't wait to try Dan's BP gel tonight!!! I also bought the Cetaphil Moisturizer with SPF 15 since the one I was previously using didn't have sunscreen. Thanks again everyone for your kind words. I promise, promise, I will get pics up soon.

Miriam

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. I've been so busy with school that my sleep schedule got messed up and i missed one morning application and one night application. sad.gif

Day 11

Forehead: still clear

Nose: clear

Cheeks: I have 2 or 3 active pimples. If only they would go away, my cheeks would be so nice and clear. Maybe a couple more weeks and I will wake up and not have ANY pimples on my face...

Chin: Worse than when i started. I have like 2 active pimples here. could be because i was slacking the past couple of days but hopefully it'll get better. i never really break out on my chin so i'm assuming it's one of those bp-induced breakouts that will go away.

By the way, i started using Dan's gel 2 days ago. it is FANTASTIC. I don't get any stinging or burning. My cheeks are no longer red or itchy either. But i'm still flaking a LOT. Any tips on how to get rid of flaking? I've been using BP for 3 weeks now, so shouldn't it have subsided?

I ordered the Eucerin Skin Reneweal SPF 15 so that should get here soon. Cetaphil is too greasy.

Guest TylerD

Right on seems like you are doing pretty good. You are on the same track as me i just started using Dans 6 days ago and it is a very good product my absolute favorite. I also ordered the Eucerin skin renewal a few days ago and am expecting it soon. Good luck keep up the rigmen. Hope for all the best.

Day 13

Well, I don't know exactly how to feel. I thought my red marks were going away pretty fast, but it turns out, it only appeared that way b/c i have good lighting in my bathroom. I looked at my face in another mirror today and almost cried. The red marks look REALLY bad. Plus i'm breaking out on my chin, which never happens. Do these breakouts in weird places go away for good? Please ANYONE who is on the regimen and is clear give me some encouragement. Although my acne is pretty mild, i've never gone a day without at least 1-2 pimples that leave awful red marks. Can i expect to be 100% clear where i have no active acne? Is it just too early? I've been using BP gel in some form for about 3 weeks now and i feel so down. sad.gif

Forehead: clear

Nose: clear

Cheeks: about 3 active pimples, a couple bumps under the skin that will probably form into pimples. the weird thing is that most of the active pimples are closer to my ears, and i never really got pimples there before. The portion of my cheeks where i have the most red marks is pretty much clear. This BP thing is bizarre.

Chin: I think I have a nodule. It's not forming into a pimple - it's just a raised bump. I never got these before either. I hope it goes away soon. other than that I have about 2 active pimples here, along my jawline. I never got pimples on my jawline. Should i stop applying BP to this area since it was never a problem to begin with?

I'm desperate for encouragement. If i stick to the regimen, will it get better? Will I ever be 100% clear? I was so tempted today to reconsider Retin-A. I have 4 weeks left until I go to Egypt and i absolutely need my skin to be clear. I wish I could will it to happen. sad.gif

Guest TylerD

Dont worry you have come this far just keep it up for another couple weeks and ssee how you do. I right from day 1 started to clear and am now 1 month in like using any kind of bp product now using dans and am 100% clear from acne i get the odd one or 2 every now and then but they are small you have to expect that pretty much everyone gets them my gf gets the odd one sometimes too but just give it another couple weeks and you should start clearing up. The first 1 to 2 or 3 weeks are weird you are clear some days and then some days you start to get breakouts but you just have to be strong. And as for the red marks i know exactly what you mean my mirror upstairs in my upstairs bathroom when i look at it i see no red marks then at the school bathrooms its like they look soo damn hoorrible it pisses me off cuz they take fooooor ever to clear up. But ive heard that Azelaic Acid (Azelex) is really good for acne red marks so i think im going to my derm next week and im going to ask for that. These red marks are really just a pain in the ass i kno wwhat you are going through alot of ppl have them and there isnt a thing you can really do to make them go away they are just there unless you get lazer surgery but id rather not do that too much money but anyway keep us updated. Later. GOod luck

Dont worry you have come this far just keep it up for another couple weeks and ssee how you do. I right from day 1 started to clear and am now 1 month in like using any kind of bp product now using dans and am 100% clear from acne i get the odd one or 2 every now and then but they are small you have to expect that pretty much everyone gets them my gf gets the odd one sometimes too but just give it another couple weeks and you should start clearing up. The first 1 to 2 or 3 weeks are weird you are clear some days and then some days you start to get breakouts but you just have to be strong. And as for the red marks i know exactly what you mean my mirror upstairs in my upstairs bathroom when i look at it i see no red marks then at the school bathrooms its like they look soo damn hoorrible it pisses me off cuz they take fooooor ever to clear up. But ive heard that Azelaic Acid (Azelex) is really good for acne red marks so i think im going to my derm next week and im going to ask for that. These red marks are really just a pain in the ass i kno wwhat you are going through alot of ppl have them and there isnt a thing you can really do to make them go away they are just there unless you get lazer surgery but id rather not do that too much money but anyway keep us updated. Later. GOod luck