Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sword

To people who had healed from dermabrasion

Hi

I had dermabrasion with Dr. Y. It is now 6 weeks post op and I'm still red, although it seem to have faded a little bit. I sometimes feel there is no end to this.

From reading your posts it takes about 2 - 3 months for a skin tone that can pass as normal to come back. Could you describe in some details how your redness faded? Did the fading accelerate at any point?

Thanks!

Sword

well im over 3 months and im still not completely faded, although incredible progress from week 6 ... i guess it depends on the person, i think falnhart was completely faded by week 10. lucky guy! just pray you get your original skin color back, that's all u can really do.

and in terms of progress, for me it seemed like a gradual decline in redness till about week 10, from which point it seems like the improvement decelerated. if it had contined to heal at the original pace i would be back to normal by now.

just pray you get your original skin color back, that's all u can really do. 

I'm now almost 4 weeks post, and I still have redness. Dr. Y told me that it was hyperpigmentation and prescribed Tri-Luma. My pinkness had faded and then the redness came back with a vengeance, and I'd been having regular check-ups with him, so I guess that's how he knew? Anyway, I've been using the Tri-Luma cream for two weeks, and I'm finally noticing an improvement. It's spotty-- some areas are close to normal color, while others are still very red. I've also reduced the use to every other night because it was making my face peel so much.

Sword, I think you should send Dr. Y a photo and explain your situation and ask him whether you should start using the Tri-Luma. It might help you.

Rosegirl,

Thanks for the update. After using Tri Luma full face for a few days, I noticed my face got even redder. Stop using it for a day and the extra redness goes away. Did you notice the same?

If Tri Luma is the answer to my current discoloration, than I will have to bite the bullet and live with the extra redness for 2 weeks.

Its very hard living like this, I feel I am losing my strength. I will UPS Dr. Y pictures and see what he says.

Thanks,

Sword

Sword,

My face didn't get redder from using Tri-Luma. I guess if it had I would have stopped using it too. It just makes me peel a lot.

I completely understand your frustration from walking around with a red face. I'm lucky enough to be able to wear makeup, but even with that I'm still very self-conscious about the demarcation line and always worried about it wearing off and leaving me with red patches showing. Every day at lunchtime I go into the bathroom and wash my face and reapply makeup. It wears off, and due to the peeling I can't just put more makeup over the spots or the texture's just awful. It really sucks because there are women walking in and out of the bathroom while I'm doing this. So, know that you're not the only one suffering with this, and remember it's only temporary!

This afternoon I got a compliment that totally extended my patience for dealing with the post-surgical inconveniences. A woman I was speaking to, whom I've never met before, said, "Wow, you're skin, it's impeccable!" I haven't gotten a compliment on my skin in five years. I don't know if she just forgot to put her contacts in today or what, but I'd trade my scars for temporary redness again anyday! smile.gif

Rosegirl,

Thanks for your words of support, I am glad you are making progress in your recovery. I have a question, does your red look anything like mine?

It is almost 7 weeks post and I feel eternally stuck with the redness, and the dermacation line! I can SEE and HEAR people around at work making jokes or gossiping about me but there is nothing I can do but take it.

I use liquid foundation / tinted moisturizer / even coverblend make up. None of that look natural in the first place, and they all melt by noon time anyway. By the time I leave work, I am pretty much all exposed, dermacation line and everything. Like you it is very hard to find a place to reapply without someone walking in.

I took a few pictures in different lighting, but none looks like what I see in mirror with flourecent lighting. I will send them to Dr. Y anyway.

Thanks,

Sword

The redness can take several months. The time period is the same as with the red marks. If after 6 months there is still notieably redness, then maybe there is new scarring. Deeper the dermabrasion was, longer the redness is going to last, but then again, better results are expected if the scars were deeper than just "shallow".

Also so called "flat surface scar" helps to raise deep boxscars to the surface by kind of trampoline effect, when the new flat scar tissue contracts and shrinks. So the doctor may have gone deeper on those areas you had deeper scars to have that effect.

Think positively, as redness lasts long, it means the dermabrasion was at least deep enough so it really have made some difference to the depthness of the scars comparing the tissue around them.

The social pressure would probably be much less if you would openly tell you had dermabrasion to smooth out acne scars and thats it.

hey guys, remember me? smile.gif

Anyway just thought id check these forums out and saw this post. Sword, I had my Dermabrasion Dec 14th of last year, so I suppose that is a good 15 weeks and a half ago. I am still somewhat red, especially out of the shower or after shaving. My skin fades to a natural color after about an hour or so but you can still see a hint of redness, like a mild sunburn.

I beleive in another 2 months my redness will have completely faded. From talking to my freinds mom who is a dermatologist she says redness fades completely in about 7 months. My cheeks and jaw line decramation lines faded around week 11 , the lines up near my ears still remain somewhat.

Unfortunately, I havn not done the best job of avoiding the sun and extremely cold weather, so Im not sure if this is hindering my healing time, but I am still impressed with my results.

Only thing that dermabrasion left me with is a little scar near my mouth where the decramation line is. Ill see if I can post up some pics of the redness/scarring.

Ok taken today 25 minutes out of the shower: Notice the line near my ear, thats decramation lines. Scarring on this side improved completely. Left with no visible scars, just the redness left over from the dermabrasion, 85% improvment, he musta gone deep deep!

user posted image

Oppositte side, still lots of redness but will improve with time. Still some scarring around my cheek area and rolling scars in very low light but great improvment from what there used to be. If you think this side looks bad now imagine what it looked like before, yikes! 60-65% improvment, I can still see some shallow linear/pitted scarring. But overall I'm happy with the improvment, it will look 10x's better when redness fades and I get the callogen burst around a month and a half from now.

user posted image

Heres a low Light closeup, you can see the little ice picks things that are left on my cheek after the procedure. I'll take these over the scarring I had anyday of the week!

user posted image

Hope this helps sword! Im at 15 weeks and still red, wait a good full 6months then analyze your redness, youll be fine eusa_dance.gif

noone. Thank you for the information and your support. I did not know the association of dermabrasion depth and the redness.

The pressure is from the work place and not from my friends, who have always accepted me for what I am anyway. This is the kind of thing I want to share with people I can trust (which there are a few at work, but I don't want to burden anyone with a secret), but not with people who gossip and joke about people who look different. My team is very supportive, it is just that I have to deal with tons of people in my job.

drewboy, thanks for responding and uploading your pics. It helps me visualize how the redness will dissipate, whenever it happens to me anyway.Thank you.

I can live with red patches, but it is hard walking into meetings like a full blown hot red tomato. I wasn't planning for such long period of down time, that's why I feel bum. I am reorganizing my thoughts and plan to deal with this for another 6 weeks, by then I'll be at week 15, hopefully I can go out without chalk on my face.

BTW I did not see your pre-derma pics, but I don't see any real scars whatsoever in your pics.

Thanks again guys.

Best regards,

Sword

hey sword,

yeah tell me about it! I had to go to college with full blown tomato look and my gosh humiliating. I couldnt work out, nothing, because I was so humiliated. Now Im too the point where I really dont think about my face but it can still get pretty flushed when I work out or something and that can be pretty embarrasing. Problem is I think Im thinking about it too much. I bet no one else looks at my face and is like man his face looks sun-burnish.

Youll do ok my man, you only have a few more weeks to go. I hate wearing chalk on my face also, I think so many people have found out I've worn makeup in the past and are kinda avoiding me now because of it. lol. Give it time bud, youll do ok.

Thanks drewboy. You know it is frustrating that I can't work out at the gym either. I don't want to come out the shower with a super red face, and then apply foundation and concealer in the change room. eusa_wall.gif

I reorganized my pics, and compared my current pic with a few weeks ago. It certainly does not look as dark although it is still very red.

I noticed my camera does not capture the true intensity of the discoloration though, did you notice the same? As long as the lighting is the same, I can see the progress.

Like you, I am sure people have noticed half melted make up (think melted cheddar cheese) on my face too. I am asian so I heal slower than you.

I look forward to go anywhere and socialize without being self conscious of the redness / cheese.

Cheers,

Sword

When I went to the gym, around week 7 my face was BLOOD RED. Who cares? Even when I was going to school at week 3, my face was as red as it gets after a workout. Just go about your life man, don't let THIS hold you back from doing whatever used to give you pleasure. Otherwise these months are going to pass very slowly for you, trust me b/c I'm going through it just like you are. At a little over 3 months I'm still red but I just can't do anything about it so why bother. Be a man, you don't need make up. I know that sounds horrible but it's just the way I see it. Good luck Sword, in a few weeks you won't notice the redness even though it will still be there, and then (hopefully for both of us) in another few months we will forget we had the dermabrasion b/c the skin tone should match perfectly.

^^^lol.

I'm having a hard time dealing with the hyperpigmentation from my subcision.I can't imagine what it's like after a dermabrasion.

Thanks drewboy.  You know it is frustrating that I can't work out at the gym either.  I don't want to come out the shower with a super red face, and then apply foundation and concealer in the change room. eusa_wall.gif

Thanks for the PM drew. I am slowly regaining my sanity now.

Best Regards,

Sword