Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

has anyone actually tried bribing a dr?? i'm sure for a pretty, cash penny they would happily prescribe accutane.

i personally have no experience bribing. anyone else?? would i be thrown in jail? lol.gif i would hate to be a pimply jail bird with no access to make-up.

i'd just say something to the tune of "if you prescribe me 'tane, i'd like to make a donation to contribute to your pimple research".

pimply times call for desperate measures. doubt.gif

btw: i have a derm appointment next week. any tips on how to plead my "pleeeease give me accutane" case?? what should i say exactly? i dont want to blow this. the appointment took 11 months to book. i wish my acne was cystic (that would better my chances). it's mild, but very oily.

~Amy

11 months? Do live near my area? lol! That's about the same time i'd have to wait if i wanted to have a consultation with a derm...but i have no patience like you do so I did something very bad...i bought tane online. eusa_shhh.gif

hope s/he gives you tane...just tell her you've had acne for like 10 years and nothing has helped.

"if you prescribe me 'tane, i'd like to make a donation to contribute to your pimple research".

This is THE funniest thing I've read on this entire board. I don't know why but I was laughing my ass off hysterically for literally 5 minutes. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifrazz.gifrazz.gifrazz.gif

derms have money....especially derms you wait 11 months to see. if you have tried every other way to treat your acne and all of it failed, then he'd prolly say yes. but, some derms will put anyone and everyone on accutane because its easy and they know it works. but for minor acne and some extra oil it's going to be quite a difficult to get accutane, especially for a female. (not sexist, just reality)

XXXpcXXX

ps. i forgot....please please please don't try to bribe the derm eusa_doh.gif its almost certainly the best way to start a very akward relationship with him. if he says no accutane, have him explain why and what he would recommend in your case and whether or not he would consider accutane down the road if nothing he gives you helps.

Please don’t say that you wish you had cystic acne. Many people on here would give the world to get rid of acne, terrible cystic acne that they have been battling for years that has taken over their life and self-esteem. I did not have cystic acne and had tried everything under the sun to get rid of the acne that I had, this my derm knew and I reminded her many times and she gave me Accutane. Tell your derm everything that you have tried and how long you have been battling acne, Tell the derm that you are ready to buy it online cuz it is your last resort. Any good doctor would give it to you if you have tried everything and are willing to risk your health of buying it online. Sounds like you are going to a good derm cuz the wait list is so long…11 months…WOW!

As far as bribing the derm, the are very wealthy in their profession and I doubt they would take a bribe, I know how it is to be desperate and want to get rid of acne so bad you thing of millions of ways all of the time, bribing I don’t think is the way to get Accutane. I wish you all of the luck in the world getting Accutane and I hope that your derm sees how badly that you want it.

My initial break out on Accutane gave me cysts and tons of break outs, so even once you get it your still in for a ride to clear skin.

Good luck

Yeah, I have a feeling the derm will just laugh at a bribe, considering what they earn. In the end it's up to your doctor to decide what is best for your condition, not you. That's why these drugs are prescription only.

As for the best way to ask for accutane, I've found the best way is as follows:

"I'd like to try accutane"...

BTW, have you tried any other treatment options?

i've had mild acne/ oily skin for more or less than 10 yrs. i've been on antibiotics but they only work while i'm on them and i'm afraid of getting super-drug resistant acne. and i've tried bcp's, acne potions and lotions.

last yr i went to a pimple dr, and mentioned that i wanted accutane. he was like 'absolutely not". so he prescribed me daine-35, differin, oral antibiotics, some kind of acne potion lotion, AND accutane. he wrote down accutane as a mistake. instead of admitting his mistake he treated me on accutane at 30mg a day for 6 months. it worked great while i was on it. but like a week after i stopped my skin regressed. but it's still not as bad as it used to be. i used to get at least 1 cyst every month. now the pimples are smaller.

for a "donation" of $1000 for my treatment, i bet a few dr's would prescribe me 'tane. opinions? maybe i shouldnt bribe the derm, but how about a cosmetic surgeon??

or should i spend that $ on a plane ticket to mexico and get it there? biggrin.gif

S214: where'd ya get it? how much did it cost? and is it working??

~Amy

another idea of mine:

what if i make myself like i'm sooo desperate. like i tell a story about giving myself enemas everyday and sleeping with urine on my face in hope of clearer skin?

would the derm be so sympathic that she would prescribe me 'tane?

~Amy

Honestly, I don't know what to say.

There are people dying horrible deaths from malnutrition, but you want to spend thousands on dangerous medication to clear up your mild acne and oily skin. Jeesus...

Your mild acne ISN'T a REAL problem...Why can't you just be like everyone else and ingore it...the only one who cares about it is you. Alternativley you can go on accutane and come back 2 months after treatment when your acne has relapsed since it's only mild and you have several side effects which won't go away...

I am not a mean person, but when I read the "sad plight" of this individual I found my self wishing for THE WORST INITITAL breakout possible from accutane for this person. I mean COME ON! Get a grip on reality here. You have some zits - deal with it and move on.

I wish you could experience cystic acne for a day, let alone months that many go through. You may be longing for the days of mild acne and oily skin.

eusa_sick.gif

another idea of mine:

what if i make myself like i'm sooo desperate. like i tell a story about giving myself enemas everyday and sleeping with urine on my face in hope of clearer skin?

would the derm be so sympathic that she would prescribe me 'tane?

~Amy

i know that everyone finds it difficult to cope with their own situations - but believe me, you should not go on accutane for something so mild! Maybe you should post some pics of your face so we can see exactly what it is that you have! I mean, you should only take accutane if it's serious - you seem to be very concerned about your looks - did you know that hair loss is one of the side effects of accutane - would you be willing to part with your hair for something that is not even major?

Guest Avian
I am not a mean person, but when I read the "sad plight" of this individual I found my self wishing for THE WORST INITITAL breakout possible  from accutane for this person.  I mean COME ON!  Get a grip on reality here.  You have some zits - deal with it and move on.

I wish you could experience cystic acne for a day, let alone months that many go through.  You may be longing for the days of mild acne and oily skin.

eusa_sick.gif

i was just kidding about the enema/urine part. redface.gif

maybe accutane sounds a bit excessive for someone with my condition. but it helped before and i barely had any side effect (just dryer skin and lips). imo, 5 months of accutane is a heck of a lot healthier than 30+ yrs of other treatments. i'm 22 and i'm probably going to be dealing with this til i hit menopause. i'm only interested in a low dose anyway.

There are people dying horrible deaths from malnutrition, but you want to spend thousands on dangerous medication to clear up your mild acne and oily skin. Jeesus...

i was just kidding about the enema/urine part.  redface.gif

maybe accutane sounds a bit excessive for someone with my condition. but it helped before and i barely had any side effect (just dryer skin and lips). imo, 5 months of accutane is a heck of a lot healthier than 30+ yrs of other treatments. i'm 22 and i'm probably going to be dealing with this til i hit menopause. i'm only interested in a low dose anyway.

i see what you're saying. but i'm not a person who spends a lot of $ on cosmetic things. there are some people who spends tens of thousands just on plastic surgery. not me. i probably spend $30 a month on beauty supplies (including shampoo). if you're worried about people starving, help them.

~Amy

This girl is DESPERATE, absolutely desperate and all you can do is criticize her for it? How useless. 'Deal with it and move on' is a totally pointless statement and you know it. evil.gif

i was on 30 mg a day for 6 months. and weighed 125lbs.

maybe i exaggerate too much. no i'm not sitting around hoping that i get cystic acne. but it is frustating to have a treatable condition and be told that you cant get treatment because youre condition isnt severe enough.

~Amy

i was on 30 mg a day for 6 months. and weighed 125lbs.

maybe i exaggerate too much. no i'm not sitting around hoping that i get cystic acne. but it is frustating to have a treatable condition and be told that you cant get treatment because youre condition isnt severe enough.

~Amy

seems evryone has a valid point on this thread, so i cant defend nor condone shinygals situation. accutane used to be a kind of underground drug back in the beginnning, only mentioned to those whose faces and/or body were severely disfigured by acne (i.e. the kind of damage acne fulminans causes). now its everywhere. its the new prozac. its the MUST have accessory prescription of the season. good. many 'indications and usage' sections of medical literature used by doctors as a guideline for prescribing isotretinoin have now been updated to include mild/moderate acne unresponsive to anything else and to patients who have signficant psychological distress and damaged social functioning due to their acne, regardless of severity. chances are you have at LEAST one person in your life on antidepressants or antianxiety medication. and now chances are you know of at least one person who has taken accutane. 'noone suffers like i do' should not be an acceptable way to see yourself...we aren't trying to win the 'i've suffered more than you so you are just deluded and need to get a grip' game here. SUPPORT.

this is, once again, my SUPPORT and personal advice to shineygal - I highly recommend not bribing your derm because it just has disaster written all over it. and don't lie for compassion and a script. tell the doc whats up...you've dealt with acne for X amount of years, other meds you've tried were unsuccessful, you hate how oily your skin is. then tell them how all of this affects your self-esteem and how you percieve what other people see you as. if you're hiding out in your room all day, avoiding mirrors and barely leaving for fear how people will judge you, that sucks. be HONEST. also, as a woman, you have several other options to deal with excessive oiliness other than accutane. its surprising how many doctors actually stop and really listen when you open up that channel of straightfoward, honest and intelligent explanation of what's is really going on and why you are seeking help. foofy chit chat with vague reasoning and self-pity does no good for you or them. there...i'm ending my local cable advice show now. eusa_whistle.gif

XXXpcXXX

I agree with Peaches, I think it's better to be frank than to resort to other, more risky measures. I've been to multiple doctors when renewing my antibiotics, and each time they have offered to put me on accutane (sheesh I didn't think my face was all that bad!) and yet I decided not to. Now I'm reconsidering these decisions. But the moral to the story is that the medical professional will probably not deny you accutane if you tell them, like peaches said, of the possible social anxiety, lack of success of other treatment options, etc. which you have experienced.

i was thinking, instead of bribing a dr, it might be more effective to make up a story about being an actor and NEEDING to have decent skin for your career.

i could say something to the tune of "my agent is very impressed with my acting ability, but told me there aren't any roles for pimply, shiney-skinned people like myself".

i probably dont have the nerve to say something like that. but it's a good idea.

i've also been thinking that maybe it's not what you say, but how you word it and say it.

like saying "i've tried everything else (and then list every pimple product known to mankind) and decided that i need a 2nd accutane course" is more effective than "please prescribe me 'tane?"

i have my appointment on friday. i'm scared.

~Amy