Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
balloonhead

Definitive Make Up For A Man?

I would like to know what is THE best method of concealing red marks for a guy. Concealer? Foundation?

can anyone recommend a specific product that will conceal red marks and still look natural? I am currently using XCD King of Shaves tinted moisturiser and this is doing good at concealing red marks but i want to know if there is anything better.

I have little acne but many red marks! Its frustrating!

Tinted moisturisier will always look undectable and will provide some coverage. But if you want to cover acne you will need to use a foundation or concealer, and this is where make-up starts to become obvious. Especially if you don't have experience in application. I would suggest use a tinted moisturisier, and if necessary a concealer. Stay away from foundation!

I would highly recommend using a concealer. Good results have been achieved with Dermablend, Smashbox Foundation Stick (which is quite heavy and is a multipurpose product) and Serious Skin Care concealers. There are also many pure mineral cosmetic lines that carry concealers too. And some people swear by Revlon's Colorstay concealer which uses silicone technology to help the product stay on better, but others like myself find that it can cause more breakouts.

Tinted moisturizers are meant to moisturize the skin while adding a small amount of overall sheer color so it's probably not the best to use for concealing purposes unless your scars are very light.

I recommend applying the heavier creamy concealers with a small concealer brush. It gives great control of the product and effectively blends the product so it looks less obvious. Also, I use the concealer just on each individual scar/blemish. As a male, when you use foundation over the entire face, you tend to look 2 dimensional i.e. natural skin is colored differently in different parts of the face (for some, the T-zone is darker than the cheeks, etc.) so using a single colored foundation all over is unnatural. If you choose to use makeup all over the face, you should apply a darker shade to contour and add back the dimensionality. However, overdoing it to that extent could give away the fact that you are wearing makeup.

An even better alternative is to use a self-tanner. This won't entirely cover the red marks, but it will camouflage them making them much less noticeable. Be warned that you may need to test several self-tanners to find one that reacts with your skin chemistry to produce the appropriate results. Further, these products will last several days before requiring a reapplication, however with makeup there's always the possibility of accidently rubbing it off.

Alternatively you may want to treat these areas so they improve and require less concealing. For consideration, there's copper peptide products to heal the skin(see www.skinbiology.com), hydroquinone products to fade certain marks on the skin, and even chemical peels to remove the upper discolored layers of skin to reveal the fresher layers underneath.

For details on concealers, how males can apply concealers, peptide technologies and self-tanning products, please click on my screen name and follow the links to read some of my many prior postings. Some of those postings are quite detailed and I don't want to repeat myself here.

thanks for your help, heartless

after much persuasion by someone (he knows who he is lol) i am going to try the Estee Lauder Maximum Coverage foundation. At the end of the day im a guy and i thought to myself that using 2 or 3 makeup products on my face before i leave the house is a bit silly.

I am so glad that i have found this forum and i have got the courage to wear cosmetics - it makes me so much happier cos i only have smooth red marks that look like acne

I also have a very smooth face but many many red marks making it look like Im covered in Acne sad.gif Ive tried MAC Studio Fix Concealer and it does work, but I have way to many red marks for it to cover them all unless I put it on my whole face, plus it looks a bit pasty on my cheeks. So I think im gonna try a foundation also, or maybe a self tanning product, trying to decide tongue.gif