Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heron

Horrible lips

When I was 16 I started to take Accutane to clear up my cystic acne. while on it my lips began to split and crack a lot. so I started to use burts bees or chapstick. after I got off Accutane I thought my lips would go back to normal, WRONG!!!! although it is far better than while on accutane they continue to be dry. I learned this was normal and that I had to live with it. Now its almost 2 years since i have been off accutane and I am still dealing with the dry lips. This is the biggest self esteem issue I have these days since accutane worked so well. I think about it all the time, when I am with my friends, family or just out and about! I think no girl will want to be with a guy whos lips are so dry and cracking all the time. Recently i have been putting aquaphor on my lips at night and during the day I use chapstick lip moisturizer. It works pretty well but I am still left with a filmy layer on my lips that is noticeable. the chapstick always gunks up and gets all white and gross on my lips. Please help me! If you know any methods to having good lips please share them with me.

I hate chapsticks, they always make my lips feel sticky...

what i use vaseline petroleum jelly cream.....it's not like regular petroleum jelly becase it absorbs a lot faster and the effects last longer. it makes the fine lines on my lips disappear too...making them appear fuller.

First, rub your lips of with a warm water saturated face towel to get flake n stuff off, and apply.

you should find it at your local walmart or target.

also good for the hands, elbows, and knees cool.gif

hope it helps

hey, thanks for the tip! I just went to see my doctor and she recomended i use vaseline as well! All I want is kissable lips sad.gif .

i have also had this problem for the last 3 years and i am still suffering from it... i have lips tht r very dry, crack and start bleeding, i also have deep cuts at the corner of my mouth. i have tried every "soothing" lip crem,gel etc and vaseline also...

the cuts affect my every day life badly as at times its soo bad tht i cant talk or open my mouth to eat or drink.. been to the docs several times ove the last few years but i am told that there is nothing that he can prescribe for it sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

i am devasted by the fact that in soo many years there is no improvement and i have failed to find a cure...

i dont have iron deficiency which is a reason for lips/mouth problems, can be a symptom of anemia

can some1 pls tel me of any cures/suggestions they may have as my doctor is useless eusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gifeusa_wall.gif

Guest Keeley
I've used Carmex lip balm for years, because I'm prone to very dry lips.. I couldn't live without it!

Has anyone in the UK tried that E45 cream? I used it when I first started using BP and my skin became extreamly dry and scaley. Now I have some left I use it on my lips and even though they aren't dry it makes them lovely and soft.

I'm currently on week 14 of Accutane, 60mg per day. I've been using Rachel Perry's Lip Lovers lip balm and have been having no problems with my lips (they're dry, but the balm is handling it beautifully...I tried some other drugstore brands as you and others have mentioned and they did a rotton job). http://www.rachelperry.net/liplover.htm I've been using this stuff for decades now, and particularly like the mint flavour.

Cashmira biggrin.gif

HERON: I'd really be interested to know the dosage and duration of your Accutane course 2 years ago, to see whether this correlates directly with the likelihood of developing cheilitis (the potential side-effect of Accutane you are exhibiting). When you took Accutane at 16, how long did you take at and at what daily dose?

I can give you this secret cure for dry, chapped lips, which also doubles as a very little-known but unbelievably powerful cure for cold sores: 2000-3000mg (2-3g) daily of L-Lysine. This is a particular amino-acid responsible for promoting collagen development, specifically in skin, nerve and connective tissue around the mouth and lips. If you take this dosage every day, and also throw in 50-100mg zinc daily, your lips will soften, moisten, plump up and smooth out incredibly within 1-2 weeks. You can then taper your dosage down to 1000-2000mg per day, which really only amounts to swallowing 1-2 pills a day-- now that's a lot easier and faster than having to rub some grease on your lips every couple of hours! Also, try to drink 3-4 L water daily to enhance your body's hydration of skin from within.

When it comes to a topical application on your lips, I second the tip of petroleum jelly, which you can also get with aloe vera mixed in for extra moisturization. The L-Lysine/Zinc will go a LONG way to getting your lips very kissable.

You can get L-Lysine and Zinc in any health store; here's a great way to get your L-Lysine: http://store.yahoo.com/vitasprings/l-lysin...e-naturals.html (just one $7 bottle will last you a month at 3g a day: MAJOR deal).

I use a product from BeautiControl called "Lip Apeel". You put on a cream and let it dry and then rub it off with your fingers. The dry skin just rolls off and it leaves your lips so smooth it's unbelievable. Then there's a lip balm on the other side of the jar so it feels great and smooth. The exfoliation is supposed to keep you from getting lines, bleeding, around your lips too. I think Mary Kay sells one similar to it.

I have also heard that it works good to put vasaline on your lips, then take a clean (probubly new) soft-medeum brissled tooth brush and rub your lips with it. It exfoliates and moisterizes them. It works for me!

When my lips get really dry or chapped, I put on lip balm or chapstick and then put vaseline over it. works for me.

also if you're skin, feet, or hands happen to get really dried and cracked, then put a good amount vaseline on and for hands & feet, wear gloves or socks to bed to help seal it in. it's supposed to be healed and moisturized by the time you wake up. if it doesn't, then do it for one more night and it should work by then.