Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, I have been on differin BID for 10 days....and I have a major acne flare up, especially on my forehead...which wasnt a major problem before i started it. Do you think that I should discontinue and just stick with doxycycline? If I do that, will the flare up go away fairly quickly? Should I just stay on it and deal with it? Please let me know.

Thanks

Hey darlin- Yes, unfortunately- I would say stick with it. 10 days just isnt enough time. I dont want to sound like a jackweed derm- but honestly, topicals will take some time to kick in, and they DO make you worse.

For me- I promised to give Retin-A Micro at least 8 weeks.. Im way past the 8 week mark, and I am still breaking out. Im still using it, though. I dont really know why... I guess Im hoping for a difference.

However- for you, you have to give it a little more time. Why go through the initial breakout and stop..when you have a chance of completely clearing after it? Im not FOR topicals whatsoever.. But if you already started, you might as well give it a chance. If it doesnt work in a few weeks- discontinue and go back to your Doc.

It just sucks...I have never been so embarrassed to go out in public. I am getting married June 4th, and if it doesnt clear up , I am going to be terribly upset. How can you go from having a few small pimples on your forehead to having 1000 ???

Guest Avian

Differin is working well for me (although I am taking it with antibiotics and the odd bit of BP). It took about four weeks to really make a difference (i.e. reduce breakouts, help with red marks), so keep going!

Guest Avian

Not major, but a slight change at about 2-4 weeks.

Tiger- yes i do. Avoid covering the area..even with your hair. Any kind of object rubbing against could possibly make it worse. Especially a hat, or hair- ESPECIALLY if you have product in your hair.

So.. unfortunately, tough it out if you can. I honestly am embarassed going out as well.. at times I wish I never started this stuff because I went through a horrible initial breakout and now bare the red marks and scars of it- and im back at square one where Im getting 5-8 cysts a month still.. even on Doxy.

So....Im not sure im much of a help for you, call you Derm and let him know that you are getting married and this is a huge deal for you and you need something stronger and faster.

Once again FrankieBGirl I am with you and I also know where you are at Tiger. I am on my 8th week on Differin and I have broken out for that whole time badly!!! It's horrible and I really feel it is impacting badly on my life as well as my families as I am just not outgoing like I usually am, I just want to hide. For example, my girlfriends are all going to a wine district this weekedn for a girls weekend (something that I would LOVE to do) . I mad a weak excuse that we had something on this weekend just so I didn't have to go through the uncomfortableness of having my skin on show all weekend!!! Even with close friends and family I feel like hiding which is just not ON!!!!! I agree with asking your derm for something stronger to get you to your wedding feeling how you hope to feel on your wedding day. IF it's any concellation, I had a big blinder pimple on my chin the day I got married and everyone else told me stories about how they did too to make me feel better. Thanks god for makeup artists on wedding days they do a fantastic job and you couldn't even see it.

i am starting Roaccutane tomorrow as, though I'm sure I will probably get result from Differin eventually I think I will get better, more guaranteed results in the long term from Roaccutane. I have had enough!!!! At my age (33) I should be worrying about wrinkles starting but instead I am worrying about pimples and don't give a damn about the odd lines around my eyes. Somethings wrong with that picture I think.

have you just started the doxy? That can give you a flare up too in the early stages. I am on Bactrim at the moment as my derm said that it is one of the fastest working antibiotics???? I don't know about Doxy though.. She said that they don't use it as often as they used to as some people display allergic reactions. i had used it as a teenager and loved it.

I reckon that after the token three months that everyone says to try things for you will feel a whole lot better and that will hopefully bring you up to the wedding and your beautiful inside will shine through to the outside as well. Good luck