Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some people say that acne is God punishing us for some reason. Well eating meat as much as we do could be one of those reasons. I now follow a ovo-lacto-vegetarian diet. Research says that vegetarians could live around 10 years longer than the average meat eater. A vegetarian diet is lower in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol which lowers your risk for heart disease. A couple of the main reasons i switched my diet to a vegetarian diet was when i found out how meat reacts in our digestive system and for a longtime I felt that eating meat was plain wrong. I was convinced that we weren't really made to eat meat. All animals in the wild eat meat in there raw state and i don't think many humans would be willing to do that on a constant basis, if at all.

Here are a few good websites that explain more :

http://www.powerattunements.com/article118.html

http://www.laetrile.com.au/advanvegdiet.htm

http://www.organichealthandbeauty.com/whyeatvegetarian.html

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/yf/foods/he463w.htm

Cholesterol, saturated fats, etc.... it's all messed up right now. So many studies have come out and are coming out that contradict much of what they say about it. Even the cholesterol levels that are considered healthy have nothing to do with health really. It was arbitrarily decided with no real evidence other than they needed more people to test so they needed a larger population base outside of thier set cholesterol levels.

You may have a revelation about eating meat and how you think it's unnatural or whatever but the fact remains that it is your opinion and it's validity isn't absolute. I think eating meat is okay, if you want to talk history humans and our ancestors have been eating meat as long as we could hunt. That's my opinion.

We could eat raw meat if our bodies could kill the bacteria. Doesn't really have anything to do with processing it. We eat raw fish(Not just Asian cultures but European).

If a lion could saute some onions over a fire with their wildabeast I think over time they would also lose the ability to safely eat raw meat. We have done this and thus have adapted to eating cooked meat.

Vegetarianism is ONE way it isn't THE way.

I don't think the second opinion site is flawed at all. I too believe we were ment to eat meat. I feed my family meat (all in moderation). To be a vegetarian is a personal preference just like eating meat.

Paba, your English is excellent. Your French and/or German must be brilliant.

I've found the essays I've linked to be quite insightful, at least as fodder for debate.

One dermatologist with whom I spoke, atypical in her concession of diet's implication in acne, mentioned an apparent carbohydrate sensitivity, specifically a poor metabolization of blood glucose, in both the digestion and body's utilization when consuming foods. She said that this observation has led many researchers to describe acne as "diabetes of the skin".

Any thoughts?

And I strongly encourage everyone either on or considering a vegetarian diet to read http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/vegetarian.html or if you are concerned about your cholesterol or consuming fats to read http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cvd_index.html.

-- but really READ it. It's long but very fascinating, to say nothing of substantiated.

This is a complex issue and a never-ending debate. There will always be the "second opinions" type of people that will link vegetarianism with extremism such as fruitarianism and breatharianism, just as there will always be extreme militant vegans. Obviously, it is up to the individual to decide what is healthy and ethical for themselves. To me, the "what our ancestors ate" argument doesn't cut it either way. We live here and now and have to make decisions based on our reality. And even though I'm a vegan, I don't even think the debate should even be about whether people eat meat or not. I think today's issue is: HOW IS YOUR FOOD GROWN or RAISED?? That not only afftects your health, but the health of the planet, and if there is one thing our ancestors were, they were in harmony with nature, meat or no meat. If I had to make a choice, I would far rather see people move in the direction of ORGANIC meat and vegetables, than in the direction of a processed vegan diet.

If you want a cause, take up the organic cause, not the vegetarian one.

My current understanding on diet is that while we need some animal food, we do not need nearly as much as most americans get, and it is best to consume them raw (such as raw egg yolk and raw fish) because when you cook them unhealthy substances are created. My opinion on this is based soley on internet research and with all the misinformation out there I could be totaly wrong...

Antony,

There MAY be SOME truths tucked away in that website, but for the most part, it is anti vegetarian propaganda and nothing more. If vegetarianism is truly "child abuse" based on the idea that it does not provide all the nutrients a child needs, then CERTAINLY the modern, standard American diet should be classified as such as well. The federal gov't in fact, ought to be indicted for what they serve children for lunch in public schools.

One dermatologist with whom I spoke, atypical in her concession of diet's implication in acne, mentioned an apparent carbohydrate sensitivity, specifically a poor metabolization of blood glucose, in both the digestion and body's utilization when consuming foods. She said that this observation has led many researchers to describe acne as "diabetes of the skin".

My current understanding on diet is that while we need some animal food, we do not need nearly as much as most americans get, and it is best to consume them raw (such as raw egg yolk and raw fish) because when you cook them unhealthy substances are created.  My opinion on this is based soley on internet research and with all the misinformation out there I could be totaly wrong...

Also it is important to recognize that when vegetarians or vegans describe non-vegetarians and non-vegans they should not generalize that all non-V's are only eating processed and packaged food all the time. I eat predominantly vegetables and fruits but also lots of fish, eggs, and chicken and turkey whenever I can, and never processed/packaged food. So I'm a healthy omnivore. ;-) Similarly, it isn't fair of non-V's to dismiss V's as kooks. I think that being a veggie (I mean it affectionately ;-) can be healthy and certainly heal thier than a typical American living off KFC and Mars bars, but I personally believe that the middle ground is best. Oh, and I'm wondering whether to retract and rethink my quick dismissal of the longevity-enhancing value of vegetarianism/veganism, because I do remember research pointing to a lifelong calorie restrictive diet as being a major determinant in longevity. But this is not a direct result of a vegetarian/vegan diet, as one could have a calorie-restrictive diet eating ONLY protein, albeit very little. The point is that vegetarians and vegans do tend to consume fewer calories than non-Vs, irrespective of the what it is they are or are not eating, and this could further account for apparent disparity in longevity between the groups. Moreover this makes sense referring to my earlier point that most V's are female, and females not only live longer but taken in fewer calories per day (2000kcal instead of 2500kcal on average) anyway, regardless of diet. And perhaps this caloric intake is even further reduced on a primarily vegetable, fruit, nut and sprout diet.

It's good that you bring the discussion back to ACNE, paba. Sometimes, I think we need a philosophy forum.

I'm not really sure how carbohydrates relate to acne. From my own experience, eliminating wheat seems to be helping me stay clear. (Although it may be a little early to tell, since b5 is what initially cleared me, but I've been off that now for almost 3 weeks w/o a single zit.) I still eat other grains, but they are mostly whole; mostly brown rice and quinoa, which isn't even technically a grain. Wheat free bread and occassional brown rice pasta are the only "processed" carbs I eat. Actually, I was eating some sprouted grain bread that contained wheat and that wasn't giving me a problem either. So far, this is working for me, so I don't see a need to further cut my carb intake. If I start breaking out again, it might be something I consider.

Sugar, dairy, trans-fats, etc, are already eliminated from my diet and for the most part, were before I even got acne.

First off, I am a vegan. And you posting that everyone should be a vegetarian and god is punishing people for eating meat is bull shit. Second off, Antony, you are really smart, but why post those things. I get enough trouble from meat eaters who ask a million questions. I know heart surgeons recommend vegetarian diets to people with heart disease. My friend's dad was put on it, and it helped him greatly. So saying vegetarianism is unhealthy, is not right. But soy, yes, especially processed, is not healthy. I do not believe eating meat is wrong, unhealthy, or whatever. I really do not care if you eat shit. Places like PETA, etc. Do some good things, but they are a lot like the pro-life organizations. I think you all need to respect everyone's lifestyle, and say, who really cares what you eat or not...

I know heart surgeons recommend vegetarian diets to people with heart disease. 

bloodcries: sorry, maybe i do get a little too opinionated sometimse. i agree that soy is the so-called healthy alternative food industry's greatest scam. people just looking to make a quick buck... and it's especially harmful as a "better" alternative to breastfeeding infants (i still cringe at how a newspaper headline read, "Study shows breastfeeing 5 points higher IQ than soy" -- as if breastfeeding was a vaguely possible alternative. They should say that soy makes your baby dumber.)

cjb: i'm wondering just how close a link you believe in between diet and acne, as this is obviously one of the greatest bones of contention between members of acne.org, not least between the ones who hang out in Diet/Holistic versus the ones who hang out in Prescription Acne Medications and the like. you seem to have a very healthy diet before what I assume was your adult onset acne. Also, do you have any idea what the hormonal explanation is for acne in your particular case?

I can't help but notice that besides being generally FAR more conscientious about diet than the average person, the average person here is disproportionately likely to be vegetarian or vegan. Do you all think that such radical (and I say radical because these diets are statistically the exception) rethinking of our diet is to some extent the result of our acne, i.e. if we all made a promise with the devil that no matter what we ate, anything at all, we would absolutely never have a single blemish on our flawless skin, then surely we wouldn't still go on never drinking milk (vegan) or ignoring a bacon (vegetarian). Even with all the other nutritional and ethical implications, surely if assured of perfect skin we'd let it slide a little?

I did not start being a vegan for acne. And being a vegan did not cure my acne. I just think meat and milk is gross and dirty (my opinions!) I mean, just look at animals! So honestly, I would still be a vegan. But for a food lover, I definately admit, that being a vegan would suck. Even though many vegans and organizations says it isn't so! Luckily I hate food biggrin.gif

Personally, I've been a vegetarian all my life, and vegan for a very long time now. However, I certainly don't believe that "God is punishing us" with acne because some of us eat meat. That's ridiculous. A vegetarian or vegan diet can be very healthy, and with the lowered amount of fat and cholesterol in such a diet, it may help some people with other health problems. For instance from the ages of 9 to 11, I was significantly overweight; upon giving up milk and eggs in favour of more fresh vegetables and nuts and other things of that ilk, I ended up losing a lot of weight and even now I'm at the ideal weight for my height; actually fairly lean. However, such a diet probably won't do anything in the way of helping those of us afflicted with acne.

bloodcries: see I LOVE food, even though by all standards not least for a 21-year-old male I have an EXCEPTIONALLY conscientious, controlled and healthy diet. I eat loads of frutis, veggies, drink loads of water, eat tuna, salmon, cod, mackerel, lots and lots of brazil nuts and walnuts, lots of brown rice, and then 2 or 3 times a week of each it's pasta, oatmeal, bread, chicken and turkey. If I am in a restaurant or at a friend's I still eat conscientiously but obviously lapse somewhat, and I drink 2-3 pints a week. It's quite hard for me psychologically to put up with this self-imposed diet which is ascetic to most of my friends, seeing as I am in college in Ireland where the average person my age has a typical daily diet of bacon and fried eggs, milk and toast for breakfast, a ham sandwich with mashed potatoes for lunch, a pint of Smithwicks in the afternoon, some chicken and pie for dinner, and a pint of Guinness in the evening. So you can imagine that in this cultural context given what I eat I might as well be vegan!!!

just think meat and milk is gross and dirty (my opinions!) I mean, just look at animals! So honestly, I would still be a vegan.

bloodcries: see I LOVE food, even though by all standards not least for a 21-year-old male I have an EXCEPTIONALLY conscientious, controlled and healthy diet. I eat loads of frutis, veggies, drink loads of water, eat tuna, salmon, cod, mackerel, lots and lots of brazil nuts and walnuts, lots of brown rice, and then 2 or 3 times a week of each it's pasta, oatmeal, bread, chicken and turkey. If I am in a restaurant or at a friend's I still eat conscientiously but obviously lapse somewhat, and I drink 2-3 pints a week. It's quite hard for me psychologically to put up with this self-imposed diet which is ascetic to most of my friends, seeing as I am in college in Ireland where the average person my age has a typical daily diet of bacon and fried eggs, milk and toast for breakfast, a ham sandwich with mashed potatoes for lunch, a pint of Smithwicks in the afternoon, some chicken and pie for dinner, and a pint of Guinness in the evening. So you can imagine that in this cultural context given what I eat I might as well be vegan!!!

Okay good chat so far. We might as well save our breath about insulin resistance because the topic has been beat to death(Very eloquently though) by Sweetjade and others.

As for the cholesterol and saturated fats thing, I believe that they will come out 20 years from now with a study that changes everyones thinking on this and people will think it's revolutionary only it's been covered before, many times, by fullproof studies and listed in credible journals. The information is out there and there are tons of things wrong with the current understanding with cholesterol.

Just to add on that with a simple remark, don't think that by cutting out food cholesterol, that you are going to save your heart. Unless your previous diet was all fast food it won't make a significant difference because your liver makes most of your cholesterol anyway. If you have a normal diet and still have high cholesterol it is far better to exercise and ADD good things to your diet than just exempt others. Don't confuse serum cholesterol with food cholesterol.

BTW, if I ever see a Breatharian or whatever I'm going to punch them in the face. I can't believe they have a cult following as well. Out of all the wierd sect groups they are the most full of shit(I forgot the difference between a sect and a cult and I don't really care either).