Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The biggest thing that has cleared my acne has been the use of supplementation. After reading alot of articles I found that whiteheads that appear quickly on the skin (may or may not have turned into cystic acne) are caused by a lack of EFA (Essential Fatty Acids) in the body.

Sebum is made from a combination of lipids and this combiation made with oleic acid (the most common Omega EFA North Americans consumer) makes the sebum more dense and it moves out of the pore slower than normal sebum which is made from Linoleic Acid (most Americans do not recieve enough of this EFA).

Linoleic Acid is found in many vegetable oils but marketers ususally don't sell it in food first because heat when cooking destroys it, and second because it has a short term shelf life and has to be refridgerated when not in a cap form.

The best way to get the proper ratio (3:1) of EFA and regular fats is then to supplement with Flax Seed Oil. It contains the exact ratio the human body needs.

When your body finally gets the EFAs its been desperatly looking for your sebum production becomes alot less thick, redness diminishes (because the Linoleic sebum is soothing to skin), and white heads stop forming.

My own personal Experience:

I had been using B5 alone for 2 months and saw good improvements but then after I left home and started school, my eating habits were pretty bad to say the least. Cereal, peanut butter sandwhiches, and protien shakes were my main daily diet. I was going from face wash to face wash makeing my skin more and more irritated with overwashing trying to get rid of those stupid flesh colored bumbs! (whiteheads). Anyway, I search the web for whiteheads, in hopes that I would find something, and I did... alot of disgusting pictures.

Then after a few more pages of google later I stumbled onto a bunch of articles about EFAs and that one symptom when your not getting enough is whiteheads. I was like OH MY GOSH, so anyway, I went down to my CVS on the corner bought a 200 1000mg cap deal of Flax Seed Oil and took two everytime I took my B5 and then four before I went to bed (just to be safe).

Over the course of these last two months my skin has become ALOT smoother and its alot less oily, and except for one red mark from a big cyst, I am completely clear.

Hope this Helps Somebody

The price on those are kinda steep. $40!!! And in quantities of 400 when you take 20 a day it will only last you 20 days. Do you feel the supplements do you that much good towards your acne?

The price on those are kinda steep.  $40!!!  And in quantities of 400 when you take 20 a day it will only last you 20 days.  Do you feel the supplements do you that much good towards your acne?

I read that, I take flax seed as well.  I was just debating if I should invest in some B5 or keep doing what I am currently doing.  How are the red marks fading btw?

Wow, a couple of days.  That sounds nice.  I got this jawline full of lingering red marks that's been there for 2 months or so.

Im in the same exact situation. 2 1/2 months of B5. 1 active spot and random clusters of tiny white bumps (whiteheads) on my forehead and upper cheekbones. Now my question is, did the flax oil help take care of your whiteheads?

Im in the same exact situation. 2 1/2 months of B5. 1 active spot and random clusters of tiny white bumps (whiteheads) on my forehead and upper cheekbones. Now my question is, did the flax oil help take care of your whiteheads?

Are you sure this ALONE can decrease sebum production. Flax Seed Oil ??

Has anyone tryed this ? I was taking Cod Liver Oil and it did nothing for me.

my washing was nothing special Clearasil Daily Face Wash twice a day(after I used Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/mask for a month it got too drying) and at night Id put on some Eucerin Renewl, because it was the only moisturizer I had

No it was more likely a combination of B5 with Flax Seed Oil, and Cod liver Oil has Omega 3, but it doesnt have sufficent amounts of Linoleic acid or Alpha Linoleic Acid, Flax Seed Oil has them both in the right ratio

how much flax seed oil are you taking? I take like 3 a day which is the recomended amount, had good results but didn't clear me, how much are you taking?

how much flax seed oil are you taking? I take like 3 a day which is the recomended amount, had good results but didn't clear me, how much are you taking?

Well I had read a variety of articles saying anywhere from 14 grams to 4.44 grams (I dont know what the deals with 4's was) so I reduced to 8 grams, it seemed a good halfway point, but I have never really read what is optimal.

can you tell me exactly what it says on the bottle of flax seed oil - linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid, etc? because i found different flax seed oil supplements, some of which contain oleic acid, but i've also read that oleic acid makes the sebum hard and more likely to clog. does your flax seed oil contain oleic acid?

can you tell me exactly what it says on the bottle of flax seed oil - linoleic acid, alpha linoleic acid, etc? because i found different flax seed oil supplements, some of which contain oleic acid, but i've also read that oleic acid makes the sebum hard and more likely to clog.  does your flax seed oil contain oleic acid?

i heard of someone breaking open the capsules to put the stuff on their face, which makes sense if it's just linoleic acid, but what if's a flax seed cap that contains oleic acid as well?

also, i picked up a bottle of evening primrose oil, which contains linoleic and gamma linoleic acid. i know both of these are good, i was just wondering if it would be better because it's not adding extra oleic acid to the mix. also, is there a way to find out if you're allergic to this stuff without swallowing it? will breaking it open and putting it on your skin let you know if you're allergic?