Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LeetLeetLoo

saliva test - good indicator of Candida

sounds interestin - gonna give it a go in the morning...let you know how i get on! Cheers for that one!

lol.giflol.giflol.gif What a list of symptons.. Everyone trying to make a quick buck it seems. I'd trust that site if it wasn't trying to sell something.

Hi LeetLeetLoo,

I have done the spit test a few times with various results. I don't have any of the most probable symptoms like sugar cravings and jock itch but the result has usually been positive. I always did the test same way first thing in the morning.

Here's link to askshelleys candida page:

http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=43

At the bottom of the page she says that you shouldn't trust the spit test. I have read the same thing in some other sites too but I don't remember which sites. On the other hand, some official sites seem to recommend this test. I don't trust it at all.

The most powerful natural treatments for candida are olive leaf extract, grape oil and oregano oil. Garlic and ACV are supposed to be efficient too.

Hi, my Name is Leanne Felzien and I am the creator/owner of www.stopyeast.com, which you guys have been visiting concerning the saliva test and using it as a valid indicator of candida. First off, yes I am trying to sell a product there, but I am not necessarily sure that invalidates everything I have to say about candida and acne. I am a stay-at-home mom of five kids and a part time programmer. I will not try and sell the product to you guys (promise), but I am very willing to answer any questions that any of you may have about candida and the role it plays with acne and other conditions - I've learned quite a bit over the last year eusa_angel.gif .

I am a 39 year old female and I actually do suffer from adult acne. I used to have very clear skin until my candida infection got out of control and because of a mocha-like complexion I am very prone to hyperpigmentation. Therefore, each of my blemishes (all of which occur along my jaw bone or forehead) scar. It has been a real struggle; one I share with all of you. I saw your post and was hopeful that you wouldn't mind if I weighed in to answer some of your questions:

Is the Saliva test accurate?: We have found this test to be quite accurate. There are some people whose saliva does not congeal upon contact. If they test negative for candida, the saliva will float on the top and eventually dissipate until it does not look like anyone ever spit in the glass. For those who test positive, the saliva turns into strings, globs, suspensions, etc. as you mention here. People who have had candida will test positive originally on the test and then will test more and more clear until the test is negative as they clear the candida from their systems. This has been the case with me and many others. People in families have had everyone test their saliva - some turn out positive others do not.

What is Candida and how does it cause acne? Candida albicans is an organism that all of us have in our systems. However, if we take a lot of antibiotics, oral corti-steroids or tetracyclines (to treat acne - cruel isn't it), the candida albicans can morph into a fungus like growth which can quickly take over our systems. The candida eats sugar - the more sugar you eat, the faster it grows. Alcohol is another direct feeder of yeast as are many other foods. Candida overgrowth may cause acne because the candida overgrowth puts toxins into our systems (acetaaldehyde and others). The liver is the organ that usually cleans these kinds of toxins up, but if it gets overloaded it will go to a back up system (our skin) to help get rid of the toxins and this can result in skin rashes and acne.

I was able to clear my candida with the product that we sell, but I had to take a additional measure to get out of the cyclic pattern my acne had gotten into. As a warning, if you decide to treat a candida infection, your acne will most likely get worse before it gets better. I would start a product to support your liver (a liver tonic) so it can do its job more effectively and hopefully lessen this effect.

To clear the residual toxins from my system, I used a really good intestinal cleanse and (believe it or not) an apple fast. I would eat apples because of their unique ability to absorb toxins for 3 days straight - then lay off for a month and then do the 3-day fast again. This is my third month of doing the apple fast and my acne appears to be in remission. The cyclic bumps I had experienced are now gone and my acne areas are smooth for the first time in years. I am currently blemish-free.

Ways to get rid of candida: the Candida diet, oil of oregano, pau d' arco tea, caprylic acid, good probiotics, acidophilus, garlic, allicin are probably the big players. I have tried caprylic acid and pau d' arco - but they became ineffective over time. I think that garlic (lots of it) and/or probiotics are the best way to go. It does take time - probably 3-6 months on a good, quality product. If you use the natural herbs you will want to do the diet, as well. And, of couse, you won't be able to eat sugar or have any alcohol on any regimen.

We really are here to help people. If you guys have any questions about candida, please let me know - I would be happy to answer as best I can.

Thanks! Leanne

Hi, my Name is Leanne Felzien and I am the creator/owner of www.stopyeast.com, which you guys have been visiting concerning the saliva test and using it as a valid indicator of candida.  First off, yes I am trying to sell a product there, but I am not necessarily sure that invalidates everything I have to say about candida and acne.  I am a stay-at-home mom of five kids and a part time programmer.  I will not try and sell the product to you guys (promise), but I am very willing to answer any questions that any of you may have about candida and the role it plays with acne and other conditions - I've learned quite a bit over the last year  eusa_angel.gif

I am a 39 year old female and I actually do suffer from adult acne.  I used to have very clear skin until my candida infection got out of control and because of a mocha-like complexion I am very prone to hyperpigmentation.  Therefore, each of my blemishes (all of which occur along my jaw bone or forehead) scar.  It has been a real struggle; one I share with all of you.  I saw your post and was hopeful that you wouldn't mind if I weighed in to answer some of your questions:

Is the Saliva test accurate?: We have found this test to be quite accurate.  There are some people whose saliva does not congeal upon contact.  If they test negative for candida, the saliva will float on the top and eventually dissipate until it does not look like anyone ever spit in the glass.  For those who test positive, the saliva turns into strings, globs, suspensions, etc. as you mention here.  People who have had candida will test positive originally on the test and then will test more and more clear until the test is negative as they clear the candida from their systems.  This has been the case with me and many others.  People in families have had everyone test their saliva - some turn out positive others do not.

What is Candida and how does it cause acne?  Candida albicans is an organism that all of us have in our systems.  However, if we take a lot of antibiotics, oral corti-steroids or tetracyclines (to treat acne - cruel isn't it), the candida albicans can morph into a fungus like growth which can quickly take over our systems.  The candida eats sugar - the more sugar you eat, the faster it grows. Alcohol is another direct feeder of yeast as are many other foods.  Candida overgrowth may cause acne because the candida overgrowth puts toxins into our systems (acetaaldehyde and others).  The liver is the organ that usually cleans these kinds of toxins up, but if it gets overloaded it will go to a back up system (our skin) to help get rid of the toxins and this can result in skin rashes and acne.

I was able to clear my candida with the product that we sell, but I had to take a additional measure to get out of the cyclic pattern my acne had gotten into.  As a warning, if you decide to treat a candida infection, your acne will most likely get worse before it gets better.  I would start a product to support your liver (a liver tonic) so it can do its job more effectively and hopefully lessen this effect. 

To clear the residual toxins from my system, I used a really good intestinal cleanse and (believe it or not) an apple fast.  I would eat apples because of their unique ability to absorb toxins for 3 days straight - then lay off for a month and then do the 3-day fast again.  This is my third month of doing the apple fast and my acne appears to be in remission.  The cyclic bumps I had experienced are now gone and my acne areas are smooth for the first time in years.  I am currently blemish-free.

Ways to get rid of candida: the Candida diet, oil of oregano, pau d' arco tea, caprylic acid, good probiotics, acidophilus, garlic, allicin are probably the big players.  I have tried caprylic acid and pau d' arco - but they became ineffective over time.  I think that garlic (lots of it) and/or probiotics are the best way to go.  It does take time - probably 3-6 months on a good, quality product.  If you use the natural herbs you will want to do the diet, as well.  And, of couse, you won't be able to eat sugar or have any alcohol on any regimen.

We really are here to help people.  If you guys have any questions about candida, please let me know - I would be happy to answer as best I can.

Thanks! Leanne

OMG i did it this morning, and all of my saliva when straight to the bottom in strings and there it still sits now, i didnt even have to wait for it to sink down. Also, it is white and the water has gone clowdy :o. What shall i do now??

OMG.

Thx,

Tom

Hi Leanne! I think that i may have always had a problem with candida as a result of being on so many antibiotics at such and early age - my lung collapsed when i was two as a result of a serious infection, and from that point on I had asthma and chest infection after chest infection , treated routinely with antibiotics, up until the age of about 16, when I started to grow out of the whole asthma thing. From then on I actively avoided antibiotics for anything as i intuitively just did'nt trust them, probably as a result of being forcefed them for so many years,and today at the grand ole age of 31, I really can't remember the last time I took em -prefer to use natural stuff like grapeseed extract, echinacea and propolis for infections.

My question is this - do you think that I could have harboured candida for such a long time without it becoming a chronic infection? I am fairly healthy,but do suffer from bad skin (always have) which scars in exactly the same way as yours - my mum is South American so i have that same mocha skin thing goin on!). Also I cannot tolerate large amounts of alcohol -get a headache v easily after a few drinks - is this a sign of candida? I eats tonnes, and I mean tonnes of garlic - go through about three bulbs a week in my cooking - do you think this could have kept it at a fairly low level? I do appear to have it, as I have just done the test, but I guess i am just trying to work out if i have been living with it unbeknownst since i was a child. I have always been fairly 'sickly' -the first to get ill, when there is a bug going around, lethargic, and have suffered from depression on and off for years, but i would not consider myself suffering particularly badly in terms of candida - at least compared to the symptoms some people complain about.

Secondly, my little boy had to go on a intense course of antiobiotics administered intraveniously for a whole week (he had Kawasakis disease -an auto immune thing, so unfortunately the antibiotics were'nt even needed, but they had to cover all bases at the hospital). It is the one and only time that he has had them, but because he had such a high dose I worry that they might have thrown his system out of whack. I give him yoghurt and probiotic drinks, but do you think he would benefit from proper treatment? I don't even know if he has candida yet (will be testing him tomorrow morning!) so I might be doing the neurotic mother bit here, but I just thought I would sound you out!!!

Thirdly, what are your thoughts on apple cider vineger? - i have heard that it can help, but just looked at candida diet and it said to avoid all vinegars because they are made by a fermentation process which involves yeast. There is so much conflicting information out there it is hard to know who is right....

Anyway, thats it (for now! biggrin.gif ).Sorry this is such a lengthy post - I can't help myself rambling on sometimes -don't know the meaning of short and sweet, unfortunately!! Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer questions like this - you are a super star!! eusa_angel.gif

P.S good luck with your product - have you posted a link? I don't even know what it is....

Ok, just seen link at top of page!! I can be so unobservant sometimes!!.... eusa_doh.gif

OMG i did it this morning, and all of my saliva when straight to the bottom in strings and there it still sits now, i didnt even have to wait for it to sink down. Also, it is white and the water has gone clowdy :o. What shall i do now??

OMG.

Thx,

Tom

Hi Leanne! I think that i may have always had a problem with candida as a result of being on so many antibiotics at such and early age - my lung collapsed when i was two as a result of a serious infection, and from that point on I had asthma and chest infection after chest infection , treated routinely with antibiotics, up until the age of about 16, when I started to grow out of the whole asthma thing. From then on I actively avoided antibiotics for anything as i intuitively just did'nt trust them, probably as a result of being forcefed them for so many years,and today at the grand ole age of 31, I really can't remember the last time I took em -prefer to use natural stuff like grapeseed extract, echinacea and propolis for infections.

My question is this - do you think that I could have harboured candida for such a long time without it becoming a chronic infection? I am fairly healthy,but do suffer from bad skin (always have) which scars in exactly the same way as yours - my mum is South American so i have that same mocha skin thing goin on!). Also I cannot tolerate large amounts of alcohol -get a headache v easily after a few drinks - is this a sign of candida? I eats tonnes, and I mean tonnes of garlic - go through about three bulbs a week in my cooking - do you think this could have kept it at a fairly low level? I do appear to have it, as I have just done the test, but I guess i am just trying to work out if i have been living with it unbeknownst since i was a child. I have always been fairly 'sickly' -the first to get ill, when there is a bug going around, lethargic, and have suffered from depression on and off for years, but i would not consider myself suffering particularly badly in terms of candida - at least compared to the symptoms some people complain about.

Secondly, my little boy had to go on a intense course of antiobiotics administered intraveniously for a whole week (he had Kawasakis disease -an auto immune thing, so unfortunately the antibiotics were'nt even needed, but they had to cover all bases at the hospital). It is the one and only time that he has had them, but because he had such a high dose I worry that they might have thrown his system out of whack. I give him yoghurt and probiotic drinks, but do you think he would benefit from proper treatment? I don't even know if he has candida yet  (will be testing him tomorrow morning!) so I might be doing the neurotic mother bit here, but I just thought I would sound you out!!!

Thirdly, what are your thoughts on apple cider vineger? - i have heard that it can help, but just looked at candida diet and it said to avoid all vinegars because they are made by a fermentation process which involves yeast. There is so much conflicting information out there it is hard to know who is right....

Anyway, thats it (for now! biggrin.gif ).Sorry this is such a lengthy post - I can't help myself rambling on sometimes -don't know the meaning of short and sweet, unfortunately!! Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer questions like this - you are a super star!!  eusa_angel.gif

P.S good luck with your product - have you posted a link? I don't even know what it is....

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes i do...i have this rash on the side of my face that has been there for ages it all red and it is annoying. I get depressed sometimes and i often get anxious and worried at times. I have gluten intolerance and i have red discolouration on my skin sad.gif.

I also have some more from that list on your website.

I will try all products mentioned and have just ordered some herbs that absorb toxins and help out the liver.

Tom

Thanks for taking your time out to answer our questions:

In regards to mucus. I saw that it was on the list of symptons. I don't really spit out any red or brown mucus, but when I do spit out the mucus most of the time it looks like clear thick saliva. I took the saliva test and well..... it didn't look too well.

My throat always feels stuffed up and not clear. It's in the back of my throat. It doesn't feel like chest congestion or whatever.. It's solely in the back of my throat. I have taken a medicine called Mucinex for a few months now. I've gone through 3 bottles of 20 capsules and it still doesn't seem to get my throat clear. I always try to clear my throat but nothing comes out. I feel it in there but nothing helps. Is this a clear sign of candida?

This has been an ongoing problem since the age of 13. I am now 20. (male) I liked milk and drank it daily from age 1 to 6. At that time, I stopped drinking it (and only used it in cereal) from age 6 to age 20. To this day, I only drink milk with cereal. I eat cheese maybe 5 times a week (a slice of cheese on a burger).... I hate yogurt.. I say this because I have seen over and over and read that milk can cause mucus or excessive mucus. It shouldnt be a problem with me.

The main ingredient in Mucinex is Guaifenesin 600 mg. I have taken expectorant in the past, at lessen dosages in syrup form and that didn't help either.

I have maybe had 3 days where my throat was 100% clear and i felt CLEAR. IT's weird because I have only been sick (a flu or cold) twice since 2001. It can't be something inside of me thats bad, could it?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes i do...i have this rash on the side of my face that has been there for ages it all red and it is annoying. I get depressed sometimes and i often get anxious and worried at times. I have gluten intolerance and i have red discolouration on my skin sad.gif.

I also have some more from that list on your website.

I will try all products mentioned and have just ordered some herbs that absorb toxins and help out the liver.

Tom

Thanks for taking your time out to answer our questions:

In regards to mucus. I saw that it was on the list of symptons. I don't really spit out any red or brown mucus, but when I do spit out the mucus most of the time it looks like clear thick saliva. I took the saliva test and well..... it didn't look too well.

My throat always feels stuffed up and not clear. It's in the back of my throat. It doesn't feel like chest congestion or whatever.. It's solely in the back of my throat. I have taken a medicine called Mucinex for a few months now. I've gone through 3 bottles of 20 capsules and it still doesn't seem to get my throat clear. I always try to clear my throat but nothing comes out. I feel it in there but nothing helps. Is this a clear sign of candida?

This has been an ongoing problem since the age of 13. I am now 20. (male) I liked milk and drank it daily from age 1 to 6. At that time, I stopped drinking it (and only used it in cereal) from age 6 to age 20. To this day, I only drink milk with cereal. I eat cheese maybe 5 times a week (a slice of cheese on a burger).... I hate yogurt.. I say this because I have seen over and over and read that milk can cause mucus or excessive mucus. It shouldnt be a problem with me.

The main ingredient in Mucinex is Guaifenesin 600 mg. I have taken expectorant in the past, at lessen dosages in syrup form and that didn't help either.

I have maybe had 3 days where my throat was 100% clear and i felt CLEAR. IT's weird because I have only been sick (a flu or cold) twice since 2001. It can't be something inside of me thats bad, could it?

Hi Leanne,

The reason why I am negative about this spit test is because it seems to me that it gives positive test results fairly easy for people who don't even have candida symptoms. I am an example of this. I read the symptom list on your site and even though it's a huge list I can relate only on few of the symptoms that I might suffer on some degree. These symptoms can be caused by other things than candida. The spit test is probably a lot reliable for people who actually suffer from these symptoms. What I am tying to say is that people who do the spit test shouldn't trust a positive test result unless they suffer from the most obvious candica symptoms like the ones you mentioned and symptoms like vaginal infections, jock itch, sugar cravings, brain fog etc. Brain fog, I don't know even what this means. Is it the same feeling when you don't have enough blood in your brains and you feel dizzy?

To be honest I am a bit confused on the apple cider vinegar.  Since vinegar is a yeast feeder, I generally try to avoid it.

Thx! Leanne

Leanne - thanks for the prompt reply! I can really relate to the sinusitis thing ...I have had a blocked nose all my life (was only able to breathe through it from about the age of 15 - I literally had to retrain myself to breathe differently!) and when I get stressed or run down my sinuses are the first to go. It seems that I am displaying classic candida symptoms.

I am going to give the apple cider vinegar thing a go (thanks for helping me make my mind up geezer!), combined with probiotics (have now worked out that you sell ThreeLac! From all reports it is meant to be a fantastic product, but it is hellishly expensive over here - UK - so am going to try a few other things first) and maybe the occassional salt water flush, which is meant to be pretty effective...the idea of drinking a litre of salt water however does not massively appeal! eusa_sick.gif ....will let you know how i get on.

As for my little boy, do you know any kiddie friendly candida treatments? I can't really see him chuggin back cider vinegar and the salt water thing I think would be a bad idea for a five year old - not that he would do it anyway!Did'nt get round to doin the spit test this morning - too bleary eyed and stumbling out of bed for school to think about it! I think I will get him tested by a doc just to make sure, but I am hoping that all the probiotic drinks that I forcefed him after the antibiotic treatment will have seen him right.

There was a report on probiotics brought out yesterday on the passage and survival rates through the acidic and bile salt environments of the gut - alot of the commercial stuff sold on the market apparently did'nt make it past the stomach. However it was a simulated test using model environments, so it does not represent the real thing. Worth having a look though as it listed the bacterial strains that survived best - sorry, I am really crap as i cannot work out how to do links, but if you do a search under probiotics (I did it in Google) you might find it....it was done by Kings College in London if that is any help. I believe the whole deal with ThreeLac is that it is specially encapsulated to help it survive the acidic environment - it certainly sounds like a good product you are selling there!

Thanks again for the advice and I'll keep you posted about the ACV!

Hi Leanne,

The reason why I am negative about this spit test is because it seems to me that it gives positive test results fairly easy for people who don't even have candida symptoms. I am an example of this. I read the symptom list on your site and even though it's a huge list I can relate only on few of the symptoms that I might suffer on some degree. These symptoms can be caused by other things than candida. The spit test is probably a lot reliable for people who actually suffer from these symptoms. What I am tying to say is that people who do the spit test shouldn't trust a positive test result unless they suffer from the most obvious candica symptoms like the ones you mentioned and symptoms like vaginal infections, jock itch, sugar cravings, brain fog etc. Brain fog, I don't know even what this means. Is it the same feeling when you don't have enough blood in your brains and you feel dizzy?

I mentioned vinegar coz I have read that it is a yeast killer. I probably have read the  opposite thing that it is a feeder too. I admit that I am not an expert to say which one is correct.

Here's a straight quote what Shelley says at www.askshelley.com: