Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robert Paulson

Will the redness/dryness ever go away?

Ok, first off, I am not using the Regimen recomended products for cleanser and moisturizing because I can't get them in Poland, but I am using Dan's Clear Skin Regimen Gel.

For Cleanser: Nivea Baby Soap (Gentlest thing I can find so far)

For Moisturizer: Using a couple different ones for different things e.g. A Polish brand Moisturizer Gel that works good on flakes, but makes my skin oily and Garnier Sebum Controlling Moisturizer for light moisturizing and matting effect. Also trying L'oreal Pure Zone Moisturizer for a little bit to see if it reacts better.

Using these products here's what I do:

Wet problem areas with warm (not hot) water, not my whole face.

Lather up the Baby Soap and wash for about 10-20 seconds gently.

Rinse with luke-warm water and gently pat dry.

(Wait 5 minutes)

I moisturize next because my face seems to be less flakey, and still only 1-2 whiteheads:

Use Polish brand Gel Moisturizer (thin coat)

Use Garnier stuff (thin coat)

(Wait 15 minutes)

Apply Dan's BP Gel. On this part, I think I might be doing it a bit rough though.

But the thing is the redness on my cheeks is not going away and I still get a lot of flakes all over my face, but especially around my mouth and right under my chin. So please if anyone can relate or give me some advice, that'd be great.

Tim

Hi Tim,

hmm, I had to think a bit before replying to you.

How long have you been on the Regimen? It is normal to experience some redness and peeling in the first few weeks of treatment. If you are past this point in time, then we need to figure out what is going on.

I am a little suspicious of your moisturizers for one. I am pretty sure the L'Oreal one has salicylic acid in it, which could cause further redness and irritation. And I am wondering about the one that you said has oil control and mattifying qualities. That one may be contributing to the dryness as well. Your cleanser sounds good and gentle from what you described, so it is probably okay.

Even though you do not have all the exact products Dan recommends, you might have better luck if you try to stick to the main process. For instance, wash with your gentle wash (very gently), wait 15 mins., apply Dan's bp gel gently, wait 5-15 mins., then apply an oil-free moisturizer with spf (try to find one that does not have any extra added acne-fighting ingredients, just a simple oil-free non-comedogenic moisturizer). Apply your products in the order Dan suggests.

Follow the procedure exactly and see if improvement does not happen. Also, since I don't know how far along in the regimen you are, consider how much bp gel you are applying. Did you start out with a small amount and slowly increase the dosage over about 4 weeks time? This helps the skin 'get used' to the bp easier. If you have already gone through the ramping up process, and the above suggestions do not help, consider applying less bp for a few days to let your skin settle down, then gradually increase the amount as you can tolerate.

I hope something I've said helps you out.

Hi Tim,

hmm, I had to think a bit before replying to you.

How long have you been on the Regimen? It is normal to experience some redness and peeling in the first few weeks of treatment. If you are past this point in time, then we need to figure out what is going on.

I am a little suspicious of your moisturizers for one. I am pretty sure the L'Oreal one has salicylic acid in it, which could cause further redness and irritation. And I am wondering about the one that you said has oil control and mattifying qualities. That one may be contributing to the dryness as well. Your cleanser sounds good and gentle from what you described, so it is probably okay.

Even though you do not have all the exact products Dan recommends, you might have better luck if you try to stick to the main process. For instance, wash with your gentle wash (very gently), wait 15 mins., apply Dan's bp gel gently, wait 5-15 mins., then apply an oil-free moisturizer with spf (try to find one that does not have any extra added acne-fighting ingredients, just a simple oil-free non-comedogenic moisturizer). Apply your products in the order Dan suggests.

Follow the procedure exactly and see if improvement does not happen. Also, since I don't know how far along in the regimen you are, consider how much bp gel you are applying. Did you start out with a small amount and slowly increase the dosage over about 4 weeks time? This helps the skin 'get used' to the bp easier. If you have already gone through the ramping up process, and the above suggestions do not help, consider applying less bp for a few days to let your skin settle down, then gradually increase the amount as you can tolerate.

I hope something I've said helps you out.

Hi tim, you are welcome. After you try a few things, post back if you find a solution, it might help someone else who could be experiencing the same problems.

Good luck to you.