Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We should compile a list of sleezy derms. Then we will all get together and use our tane rage to destroy them one by one, bwahaahahah.

well it was a nice thought anyway

my derm is nice - she keeps on going on about how beautiful i will b when all this is over. but she never gives me any information about things and she said everything will cost me half of what i will actually be spending and i am a student so i think that the total price should be made clear in the beginning especially to people with no income! but they are there to make money - so the more information they give about accutane, side effects, initial breakouts etc will make people think twice about doing it!

The first derm I went to was the sweetest thing..and her assistant was so adorable.. They were both very young, and totally understanding. The assistant was like "You are SUCH a pretty girl, too.. Dont worry- we're gonna fix this for ya..Theres tons of meds out there...Youll feel gorgeous again soon"

The last derm (last night)- was negetive from the moment she walked in. Her and her assistant were both old and craggly. They didnt say "Hey how are you feeling today..." Not even a greeting..The assistant got an attitude, and the derm walks in and goes "Why are you here again so soon?" And i felt like an idiot from that point on and it just kept getting worse and worse... I dont even know where to formally complain to but I would love to do it just for the fact that she made me CRY and Ive NEVER cried in a Drs office.. Im not the crying type- and I bawled in the office.

The funny thing is- I found out she isnt a derm at all. Shes a D.O which, Im not sure entirely what that is- but my sisters in the medical field and told me what it stands for.. Shes not a doctor or a derm.. That..pisses me off.

unfortunately, i think it's a matter of trial and error with derms. you just keep going to new ones until you find one whom you're comfortable with. it just sucks that, in the mean time, you're walking around suffering.

i'm in NYC where there are loads of "celebrity" derms and "top ten in NY," etc. -- these guys are the WORSE. because they're so "popular," it's nearly impossible to get an appt., and when you finally do, you'd be lucky to get 4.8 minutes of their time.

my current derm is one whom i picked out of my insurance book based on his address alone, and he's excellent, truly excellent. after reading some many posts of jerk derms, i consider myself really lucky.

i dont think anyone should even hesitate to change docs for any reason, even a minor one. these guys get paid a lot of money and youre putting your life in their hands.

I can sooo relate... I went to visit my derm last week and he was like oh don't worry your face is just breaking out because of the change in season. Just up your dosage of minicin from 1 a day to 2. I was like but I have been and it's not working.....what else can I do. Then doesn't he say, well you can always use ur own urine. He's like pee in a cup and put it on ur face at nite before u go to sleep.

GROSS!!!! eusa_sick.gif NEEDLESS to say I haven't gone back to him since. I'm now taking DIana 35 and keeping my fingers crossed? Anyone know any info about DIANE 35? Anyways, let's just line up all these Yahoo derms and shoot them

Tiredofzits-

Oh my god Id be so annoyed.. Youre breaking out because of the weather- Wow thats a new one. Can you believe what these idiots say to patients?? Urine- Ok no. Is that even sanitary?? Ive heard of that before, though, actually- but I know Id never do it.

Anyway..what are they gonna blame our breakouts on next- the solar system?? Oh theres a full moon- thats why you broke out. Here continue your worthless treatment and give me money.

eusa_wall.gif

Tiredofzits-

Oh my god Id be so annoyed.. Youre breaking out because of the weather- Wow thats a new one.  Can you believe what these idiots say to patients??  Urine- Ok no.  Is that even sanitary??  Ive heard of that before, though, actually- but I know Id never do it.

Anyway..what are they gonna blame our breakouts on next- the solar system??  Oh theres a full moon- thats why you broke out. Here continue your worthless treatment and give me money.

eusa_wall.gif

I can sooo relate... I went to visit my derm last week and he was like oh don't worry your face is just breaking out because of the change in season.  Just up your dosage of minicin from 1 a day to 2.  I was like but I have been and it's not working.....what else can I do.  Then doesn't he say, well you can always use ur own urine.  He's like pee in a cup and put it on ur face at nite before u go to sleep.

GROSS!!!!  eusa_sick.gif NEEDLESS to say I haven't gone back to him since.  I'm now taking DIana 35 and keeping my fingers crossed?  Anyone know any info about DIANE 35?  Anyways, let's just line up all these Yahoo derms and shoot them

my derm is probably the nicest man in the world. he also just prescribed me accutane after about 2 minutes in his office!

"Im very aggresive when it comes to acne, you need the best when your fighting acne and the best is accutane"

i havent been on any antibiotics at all...i dont know actually is this makes him nice or incredibly stupid but oh well!

GRRRR!!!!! I HAVE THE WORST DERM IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Hes nothing compared to your guy's derm. My derm says my CYSTIC acne isnt severe enough for him to prescribe me accutane. WTF. Ive got it all over my back n chest and YES it does hurt like a b*tch right now. Ive got goddam white heads on my chest!!!!

THIS ISNT FAIR!!!

Ive already gone 3 times to see em for accutane and everytime he says "no" before i even enter the room. Geezuz, hes now seriously trying to keep me away from the medication.

Can someone tell me what to do??? Can i get a new derm for accutane? Or any advice at all?

Dude, you should totally switch derms.

I had my first appointement with a real derm (when I got Tane it was thorugh my family doc. Maybe you should try that, Hustler.) The derm's assistant comes in first, and all im looking for is some kind of cream or something to reduce the redness of my nose, since my pimples are gone, and only have the anoyying redness. First thing the assistant says is like: you have dry skin. but this. Derms comes in later: you have dry skin. buy this. I dont even get to say that it isn't dry at all, really, and it's the nose redness that bugs me, and my nose is the oilyiest part. Nope. Then she tells me it's just my red complexion. lol. stupid derm. I'll figure it out on my own...with a little help from my acne.org borthers and sisters!

Yeh switch derms some are pro tane some are anti I dont know why but it just is so just keep switching until u get one who understands that you wanna get rid of this crap once and for all and who will give u accutane

jesus my derm never made a big thing about me going on roaccutane, i don t have severe acne but i just went in and sat down, he didnt even look at me and just said im gonna put u on 60mg a day, was a nice bloke tho

The first derm I went to was the sweetest thing..and her assistant was so adorable.. They were both very young, and totally understanding.  The assistant was like "You are SUCH a pretty girl, too.. Dont worry- we're gonna fix this for ya..Theres tons of meds out there...Youll feel gorgeous again soon"

The last derm (last night)- was negetive from the moment she walked in. Her and her assistant were both old and craggly.  They didnt say "Hey how are you feeling today..."  Not even a greeting..The assistant got an attitude, and the derm walks in and goes "Why are you here again so soon?"  And i felt like an idiot from that point on and it just kept getting worse and worse... I dont even know where to formally complain to but I would love to do it just for the fact that she made me CRY and Ive NEVER cried in a Drs office.. Im not the crying type- and I bawled in the office.

The funny thing is- I found out she isnt a derm at all.  Shes a D.O  which, Im not sure entirely what that is- but my sisters in the medical field and told me what it stands for.. Shes not a doctor or a derm.. That..pisses me off.

I think that some derms just don't understand the complexity of acne. It's not only a physical disorder it has an emotional component as well. If a derm does not take acne seriously- they will not spend the time and effort customizing a treatment for you. I can distinguish a good derm from a crap one on the very first visit. Someties you have to shop around...

There's nothing wrong with shopping around for a doctor. I've noticed that dermatologists are often very focused on a specific area (say, skin cancer or cosmetic work) and unfortunately that area is rarely acne. Dermatologists who never experienced acne personally often do not understand how deeply it effects your life. They see you come in with a few pimples and blow you off, never realizing the deep emotional toll acne sufferers pay every day when we look in the mirror and our skin just never clears.

That said, there is a good reason some dermatologists are "anti-tane" - that's because Accutane and it's generic equivalents have very serious side effects and require constant monitoring. There is currently renewed talk in the FDA of removing it from the market. Doctors pay through the nose for malpractice insurance and the last thing they want to do is increase their risk of litigation. If they prescribe it for you without making sure that nothing else will work, and you experience the severe side effects - like permanent liver damage for instance - they will have no leg to stand on when it comes time to explain to the jury why they prescribed this very dangerous drug for you. Also, Accutane is very expensive, not nearly as bad with the generic, but still when you add up medication and the constant blood work, it isn't cheap. If you have insurance, the doctor must also justify to the insurance company why such expensive medication was prescribed for what the companies usually consider "cosmetic treatment."

So, shop around until you find a doctor that gives you a "good vibe," that is willing to use Accutane as a last resort. But you have to have patience, let them determine that other treatments won't work in order to be justified in calling in the big guns. Only in cases of severe persistent cystic acne should Accutane be considered at the outset, because other treatments generally don't work.