Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikkid

Sunless Tanners

I was wondering if using a sunless tanner would be a good idea or not. I am kinda pale and I have a bit of those little brownish marks left from old pimples. I don't have massive breakouts I get like 1 or 2 pimples every so often. I was wondering if using a sunless tanner would make te marks look bad or would possibly conceal them, or not change anything.

If it's a good idea could someone please reccomend a good drugstore sunless tanner ((or bronzer)).

And I was also wondering if getting a real tan ((from the sun lol)) would be a good idea cause I heard that it will cause acne.

Thanks so much!

i would also like to know if a fake tanner would be a good idea for red marks. The logic is there. Whenever i have a proper tan my red marks are invisible. Also, a fake tan would mean less pasty looking! I've seen the king of shaves enhancer. This is a self tan lotion. Anyone tried it?

i would also like to know if a fake tanner would be a good idea for red marks. The logic is there. Whenever i have a proper tan my red marks are invisible. Also, a fake tan would mean less pasty looking! I've seen the king of shaves enhancer. This is a self tan lotion. Anyone tried it?

There are lots of reviews for self tanners on makeupalley.com and im planning to try some of them. its really helpful, you should take a look.

i've been thinking of trying a self-tanner too, cuz i'm soooo pale. i'm afraid to though, cuz i dont want it to look fake. Has anyone tried those spray-on tans that you have done at a salon? I was wondering if those might be good.

-misha

misha182, from my research on selftanning products, they all use one active ingredient that reacts with the proteins in each individual's skin to create the look of a tan therefore each person's tan will be different using one given product.

Also, the inactive ingredients in a selftanner will cause the resulting tan to vary in color from one product to another. Therefore, given these 2 factors, even if one product works well for one person, it may not give the desired effects for another.

A recommendation is to go your local pharmacy or to various cosmetics counters at a department store and request samples. Apply them on an inconspicous area of your body (e.g. upper arm etc.) and give them 3 to 4 hours to develop. Wash the sample patches (as some selftanners contain color indicators or bronzers which are meant to be washed off) and pick the product that gives you the most realistic tan.

i have used various brands of self-tanning before and i never use them on my face (from experience). However, now i don't even use any tanners coz - pale is beautiful!

I have been using the Au Courant line for about 2 years now (mousse is my favorite) and it is by far the best ever. It's natural looking, easy to apply, lasts for days and doesn't stink. OH! And it's non-comedogenic...NEVER had a breakout from this stuff. You can't beat it. The only downside is the price (about $30 per bottle). But...you CAN order mini-sized kits just to make sure you like it. And it's not available in drug stores...you either have to order from their website or go to a high-end salon that uses their products.

Here's the link to their site:

Au Courant Official Site

Well I quickly tried some fake tan on my hand. And it does look nice and natural - I think orange skin is a thing of the past, the products are quite advanced now. It covers VERY slightly, so I would suggest using a fake tanner and a tinted moisurisier together and that would look like you aren't caked in make-up, yet it would still cover the red marks left from acne.

I have used sunless tanners on my body and the best drugstore brand that I have used is Loreal Sublime Bronze. It's pretty great, and pretty cheap. However, the best self tanner I have ever used is by Clarins , and it is a gel bronzer. It is great for the body, looks natural but would not reccomend for the face. I have heard that it is usually not a good idea to use them on your face, becuase it can accentuate your acne scars even more, but if you really want a tan for your face I would reccomend the sublime bronzer, it does not accentuate your scars. Clinique is an even better self tanner for the face and has a "glowing" look for any skin type.

Thank GOD that some people on this board acknowledge the dangers of the sun! (If you're reading this and you fry yourself in a tanning bed - like I used to - STOP! It's baaaaad for you!)

That said, I use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze on my body, and either Clinique facial tanning stuff on my face and neck or Revlon Skinlights there. It's a good idea to practice, practice, practice, and now is a good time since it's not quite summer yet. (I started practicing in February and I'm almost a pro now!) I get compliments on my tan all the time, especially from my friends who tan daily and complain that they can't get the "golden" tan that I have. If only they'd venture down the sunless aisle at the drugstore!

I've also tried Clinique's stuff for the body which is decent and Coppertone's Gradual Tan, which is good for legs, arms, back and stomach but not so good for the face and neck. The important thing to do if you use two different products on your face and body is to make sure that they blend well into one another; that is, make sure your face isn't a light tan and your body a dark tan. If this happens, though, slap on some extra blush or bronzer; no one will be the wiser.

Good luck, allow yourself plenty of time to apply carefully, and make sure to exfoliate beforehand!

I've used Loreal Sublime Bronze and Lancome flash bronzer. They both broke me out within days. I do have very sensitive skin so it really clogged my pores.

Just a heads up of what could happen.

I have used them all, I swear haha.

The best of the best is St tropez, it makes you bronze rather than Orange.

Most will make you a funny orange colour but st tropez is brilliant, one of only a few that make you a natural brown.

Apply a little at night evenly, make sure its even and only a thin layer, you can then use more the next night if you want to be a darker shade.

I've used Loreal Sublime Bronze and Lancome flash bronzer. They both broke me out within days. I do have very sensitive skin so it really clogged my pores.

Just a heads up of what could happen.

No, it wasn't random. I broke out my nose, which I never do. It clogged my pores. I only get pimples on my chin and every few months on my cheeks.

Guest Anubis
I have used them all, I swear haha.

The best of the best is St tropez, it makes you bronze rather than Orange.

Most will make you a funny orange colour but st tropez is brilliant, one of only a few that make you a natural brown.

Apply a little at night evenly, make sure its even and only a thin layer, you can then use more the next night if you want to be a darker shade.

I have personally used Mystic Tan booths and like the results. The tricky part is properly coating feet & hands in the right spots. The color is natural. It helps cover blemishes, but doesn't. It makes then seem more purple than pink/red.

I used to use the L’Oreal one, but it was a bit greasy and that freaked me out.

My favourite one is Neutrogena facial tanner. Its tinted so you can see where its been to help avoid streaks. its oil free which is really good for acne of course.

BUT im lucky if i can get two days out of this product. they have to be not as strong in the facial products because you dont wanna end up looking too dark all at once. you would need to apply it every other day to maintain.

i find the colour i get from a fake tan does help mask acne a bit. it just makes your face blend in as one colour.

but i would worry that the BP gel might bleach the colour of the fake tan. they kinda contradict one another, ya know?

That is exactly what I was thinking! If fake tan bleaches the skin and BP also bleaches the skin, surely they might cancel each other out, or turn you into a nasty green colour?

Well I am trying this tomorrow, and I use BP...I'll let you know how I get on!

Its funny that I was thinking about fake tanning at the exact same time that everyone else seems to liking the idea!

I may as well jst say that i use Bp and self tanner on my face, and nothing weird happened.

and jergens natural glow(at drugstores or whatever) is AWESOME. its like 6 bucks, and gives my pale skin a very natural tan that everyone complitments me on.

Well the tan looks nice and natural, but it doesn't cover ANYTHING. All I have on my skin is the red marks left after acne and tanner didn't cover them at all.

Shame!

Well the tan looks nice and natural, but it doesn't cover ANYTHING. All I have on my skin is the red marks left after acne and tanner didn't cover them at all.

Shame!

In all of my recommendations of self tanners, I stipulated that they will camouflage the blemishes and/or scars, not cover them. The active ingredient will make the skin appear darker thereby making the contrast between the skin and each blemish a little less obvious. If you use concealer, it will take much less of it to blend each blemish into the neighboring skin.

If you need, a subsequent application of self tanner will darken the tan and may provide additional camouflage. Otherwise, if you use any exfoliating products, it won't take long for your skin to shed the artificial tan and you can go back to your previous routine.

Lastly, I find self tanners are not very effective at hiding spots if you have fresh red or dark colored blemishes or scars. I prefer to use them when the scars have started healing and products with hydroquinone will go a long way to fading them.