Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Meb

Trying it Again.

Okay, so I stumbled across this site about six months ago, started reading all the goodness collected in here, and immediately ordered some BP gel and started a regimen. However, general laziness and the normal reactions to BP gel (redness, dryness, et al) caused me to be not quite so consistent.

Now, I'm ready to give it another go.

First, a little background information, I'm a month away from turning 21, female, and have been suffering from acne since I was about 12. I've gone through the dermatologists, ProActiv, basically EVERYTHING. (Even that old egg-white mask thingy that people claimed worked wonders....nothing.) So, like most other people, I said fine, I'll continue to wear makeup every single day of my life and eventually grow out of it.

The theory almost worked. Then last year, I began to experience some of the worst break-outs I have ever had. That's what finally led me to this site. My face is better now, but now I have to deal with all the old red marks and scarring left over along with consistent active acne. Not fun.

So here's the new plan. I'm going back to BP, though not using it twice a day until my skin gets used to it again, as well as a few new products. I put faith in the BP as I remember the only thing that every worked for me from the derm was a regimen of a salicylic based medicine in the morning and a BP based product in the evening. So I put my little brains together and thought, hey, since that worked before, let's try it again.

Morning:

Scrub face with CC Blackhead Clearing Scrub (ala Botchla)

Wash face with Cetaphil face wash (I'll explain this later)

Pat dry

Apply CC Blackhead Clearing Astringent with cotton ball (this is my new SA product)

Moisturize with CC dual-action moisturizer

Evening:

Scrub face with CC Scrub

Wash face with Cetaphil

Pat dry

Apply Dan's BP gel

Okay, first off, wouldn't people normally wash their face first and then use the scrub? This is what I thought before and did too. But after reading one man's log on here (I'm sorry I forget the name) he did many "experiments" with his regimen and applied pretty sound and scientific reasoning to see what worked and what didn't. And he claimed that using the scrub first and the wash second simply made his face feel better. Well, he was right. I'm not sure if it's really affecting anything, but if I feel better that's all that matters, right?

Now, there might be some saying, now wait a minute, the scrub already has SA, why need the astringent? Well, my own personal reasoning is that, yes, the scrub does have SA, but that is washed immediately off. I think of the scrub as more of an exfoliant, plus the astringent gives my face a nice tingle.

Another note on my moisutrizer choice. I may seem like I'm a CC product whore or something, but this is truly the best moisturizer I've tried. Neutrogena is so-so, and when I tried Cetaphil my face has never been greasier than with that stuff. When I finally figured out that was the problem for my sudden oil factory face, I got rid of it real quick and went back to the CC dual-action. (Plus this moisturizer has SA as well but it's amazingly not drying.)

The only thing I'm considering is using the Astringent at night as well, before the BP. But since I just bought it yesterday I'm going to wait to see if it has any adverse effects to my face. If not, then I'll probably add it.

I'm slightly optimistic about this regimen and will follow it diligently. I am still on the lookout for products to add and/or substitute. (But I must wait for bank account to recover first)

Okay folks, let's see if this works!

Update.

Okay, so I swore I was going to do a day-to-day update and after the first couple of days things were going well. But then it looked like I was at a stalemate and I was getting really large cystic-like zits when normally I just get stubborn smaller ones.

Cue the disappointment.

But I told myself, okay, we just started something new, there has to be an adjustment period, you know, all that pep talk shit I'm sure most of you have done.

Then I read about Burt's Bees tomato complexion soap on the over-the-counter forum. It seemed like another 'too good to be true' and 'it'll work for everyone BUT me' thing. Yesterday I caved though and bought it. Another guilty tirade in which I tell myself I just started a new regimen, I can't just drop it and switch over to something new, what if skin gets worse or better and then I'm not sure which is the culprit, yadda yadda.

So I tried it last night. At first I was planning on using BP with it, as of course I HAVE to have at least 1o products on my face in order for anything to work. I mean, come on, a person cannot possibly get better with just SOAP. However, my face was feeling a little dry after the soap and I skipped the BP as we all know BP is not the most moisturizing thing. Well, I was all mentally prepared to wake up to a horrible mess on my face where I could go into an 'I told you so' rant and beat myself up before slathering on a pound of makeup.

I could not believe my face this morning. Don't get me wrong, I still have zits, all my old friends are still there. But they SHRANK. And another big cyst that was threatening to break through on my cheek died out before it even broke the surface. There was nothing new besides a whitehead I felt the day before coming to a surface.

I still feel like I don't want to jump the gun here, but I think this soap really does the trick. I'm planning on going to get the toner today. I'm still very skeptical and wary about this and I won't be surprised if I suddenly get a massive outbreak and I curse the day Burt was ever born. But just imagine if this works, eh?

So, temporary new regimen:

Morning

Wash face with Burt's Bees tomato complexion soap

Apply Burt's Bees tomato toner

Apply CC dual action moisturizer (so I'm still getting a little SA)

Evening

Wash face with BB soap

Apply BB toner

We'll see how this goes for about a week, and I'm contemplating adding BP gel in the evening. For now I think I'll just use it as a spot treatment though.

Wish me luck folks!