Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankieBGirl

Worst experience in my LIFE

ok i was prescribed to menicyclin and this topical solution. Well after like 2 weeks my face started getting worse and my mm said lets go o the doctor and get you on accutane. Im like "ok" so we went and talked to the dermatologist (a nice asian lady) and she said "yeah its time to get you on accutane. im like ok smile.gif so yeah after 2 weeks she was willing to get me on accutane. im on my first week and 3 days on it and hoping for the best and yeah i just want this to go away forever!!!!!

You guys are totally right- Cosmetic Surgeons are so easy to talk to and willing to answer alot of questions. I havent found any yet that do dermatologic type work, though, unfortunately. They do facial work- but not prescription stuff.

Ill continue my search.. If I cant find one, Ill go back to the original derm I went to and see what she says and if she wont give me Accutane, either- Then Ill have to call around to find someone who will. My insurance sucks so hard tho- it doesnt cover like, ANY dermatologists. Thats why I went to 2 diff ones in the same office- and even though they are covered, its still $50 a visit. So Now Ive wasted 100$ on Dr visits so far..and Im still breaking out pretty badly. While also wasting money on prescriptions that I have to pay full price for. Its not that Im broke- Its that it kills me to spend my money on uselessness. If I was on Accutane, knowing within a few months- I wouldnt have to worry about cysts any more- I would shell it out, but feeling like Im paying them to make me cry.. That just hurts the pocket.

Anyways- I really appreciate everyone responding with such supportive words. I was extremely upset last night...and this morning Im a little better, though- Still really depressed. I want to call that office and just bitch at them to make myself feel better, but I wont.. Thats pointless and they wont care anyway. Itd be nice to let her know she's wrong and needs to consult a calendar though...as well as learn to speak to people properly..not even PROPERLY- just HUMANELY..

That was definately the worst part.. I understand that I cant get accutane immediately. I have to try other stuff like most other people- but it kills me to hear stories where people are like "Yeah antibiotics didnt work for a week so i got accutane...Oh yeah i have mild acne!"

Whereas my experience was so opposite and harsh. Has anyone ever bombed you with yelling like "Dont say that it doesnt cover that,YES IT DOES." ....What the hell is her problem? How do Drs not know about different plans within a company? Not everyone has the same type of insurance plan, and they all have different coverage points. And when you are crying, taps their foot and just repeats the same line "Yep People Sue....So.....Cant....People ruin it for others...Ya know.....they want money..so...." I wanted to seriously punch her, Im like "Can I leave now??????" Ugh that was really awful.

Frankie I'm a little lost. I thought you were taking Accutane. What's going on? I hope all is ok. Write me.

You guys are totally right- Cosmetic Surgeons are so easy to talk to and willing to answer alot of questions.  I havent found any yet that do dermatologic type work, though, unfortunately.  They do facial work- but not prescription stuff.

Ill continue my search.. If I cant find one, Ill go back to the original derm I went to and see what she says and if she wont give me Accutane, either- Then Ill have to call around to find someone who will.  My insurance sucks so hard tho- it doesnt cover like, ANY dermatologists. Thats why I went to 2 diff ones in the same office- and even though they are covered, its still $50 a visit.  So Now Ive wasted 100$ on Dr visits so far..and Im still breaking out pretty badly.  While also wasting money on prescriptions that I have to pay full price for.  Its not that Im broke- Its that it kills me to spend my money on uselessness.  If I was on Accutane, knowing within a few months- I wouldnt have to worry about cysts any more- I would shell it out, but feeling like Im paying them to make me cry.. That just hurts the pocket.

Anyways- I really appreciate everyone responding with such supportive words. I was extremely upset last night...and this morning Im a little better, though- Still really depressed.  I want to call that office and just bitch at them to make myself feel better, but I wont.. Thats pointless and they wont care anyway.  Itd be nice to let her know she's wrong and needs to consult a calendar though...as well as learn to speak to people properly..not even PROPERLY- just HUMANELY..

That was definately the worst part.. I understand that I cant get accutane immediately.  I have to try other stuff like most other people- but it kills me to hear stories where people are like "Yeah antibiotics didnt work for a week so i got accutane...Oh yeah i have mild acne!"   

Whereas my experience was so opposite and harsh.  Has anyone ever bombed you with yelling like "Dont say that it doesnt cover that,YES IT DOES."  ....What the hell is her problem?  How do Drs not know about different plans within a company? Not everyone has the same type of insurance plan, and they all have different coverage points.    And when you are crying, taps their foot and just repeats the same line "Yep People Sue....So.....Cant....People ruin it for others...Ya know.....they want money..so...."    I wanted to seriously punch her, Im like "Can I leave now??????"  Ugh that was really awful.

No No- Ive been wanting to take it. I have been on Retin-A and Doxy. My first derm wanted me to come back May 5th for a checkup- but my face is really bad right now, So I took the advice of a friend and visited another derm she requested very highly... who gave her accutane 2 years ago quite easily and had the same skin as me.

Now- I went to this derm, and she was completely awful. AWFUL.. I didnt write the full story cuz I write too much- but they basically told me I do have cysts, do need them injected because of all the inflammation and that I need to continue my treatment as prescribed for at least 3 months. It was an argument of time frame from that point, she told me Im on this stuff 2 weeks.. I argued its been more than that- ALOT more than that. Ive heard countless times that antibiotics take a few weeks to work, but you wont get any WORSE. Im on Doxy a month and 2 weeks- and thats at 200 mgs a day, and so far- I have breakouts ALL over..including a small yet painful cyst on my back shoulder area.

Anyways.. I started bawling because of how they were being so mean, as well as the fact that I know that I need Accutane- and she wouldnt prescribe it simply for the fact that people like to sue. I dont see how this makes sense unless she was recently sued or something along those lines. I said in another post that its not like im taking it cuz I have a few blackheads I want to get rid of. I have 7 cysts at the moment, and next month Ill have a bunch more- it never ends. She told me "Be thankful you dont have ice pick scars. What if you couldnt take your shirt off in public like some of my patients." .....Well first of all Im a GIRL so if I was taking my shirt off in public..would that be a smart idea? Also, I have implants- so I dont know if she was referring to me being like, stripper-ish and that I do that quite often.. Not quite sure.

Anyways- It was an awful experience and I didnt even get a prescription except for Clindamyacin lotion...which is why she yelled at me again, saying thats the reason Im still breaking out.. (not using it)- I highly doubt thatll make a difference. I argued over my insurance as well- they flat out YELLED that it does cover this stuff...and I called the other day and was told my plan covers NO acne medications..Nothing. And she rolled her eyes when I said I didnt want the cysts injected. Wonderful people, huh?

Anyways- It was an awful experience and I didnt even get a prescription except for Clindamyacin lotion...which is why she yelled at me again, saying thats the reason Im still breaking out.. (not using it)- I highly doubt thatll make a difference. I argued over my insurance as well- they flat out YELLED that it does cover this stuff...and I called the other day and was told my plan covers NO acne medications..Nothing.  And she rolled her eyes when I said I didnt want the cysts injected. Wonderful people, huh?

Yeah I think thats what she gave me, actually- its a lotion/liquid and she said "Count on it drying you out more." ..Thanks thats encouraging.

My mom broke out after having me (this was a long time ago, granted) but she got some cystic acne on her cheeks shortly after I was born, and she said they gave her the same thing and it did absolutely nothing..it was like putting diluted alcohol on her skin. So, Why should I spend my hard-earned money on another treatment that isnt gonna do anything? Ive read a bunch of stuff on the boards saying it doesnt work, as well as my own mother telling me its not worth getting- and friends.

Im not gonna get it, Ill tell the first derm what happened and tell her I used it or something.. Whatever.. Derms suck.

Frankie

I think if u talk to a derm about your problem with acne that u tried almost everything over the counter and u ask him for accutane he'll be very stupid not to give it to you.Just tell your story and he'll understand.If u're not happy with the one u're now find another,dont waste money and your time to him. smile.gif

fightacne-

Thank you- Yeah, I definately need to give her the boot. Im so pissed, though. From what everyone's told me.. She probably had a lawsuit of some kind recently, and thats why shes so sketchy about it.. I meet the requirements..There's no real reason she shouldnt give it to me. I mean, at the end of 3 months..which is one more month, will I really be totally improved? I dont think so- If I havent by now- Im not gonna.

Frankie, honey, brave the needles. The injections of cortisone will help you out so much. It is only a few seconds of pain and the outcome is the disappearance of the cysts within in a few days. If you aren’t going to another doctor, please allow the one you have now to do this for you.

Well, the problem was also that they cost $20 a shot..and I have 7 shot-worthy cysts. She wanted to do all 7, plus the one on my back shoulder. I told her No and she rolled her eyes... Then, after another few mins we were talking about the scarring aspect..and I said I was trying to prevent that, and i already have massive amounts of red marks- and she cut me off and was like "OH stop, RED MARKS are nothing...those will fade...thats nothing.Stop with that." Basically belitting everything I felt... And then she said again, "Its 20$ a shot.. Let me inject them all for you, it will take that inflammation way down.." And at that point, I was thinking Im not giving you 140$ plus another $50 for my visit cuz you are worthless and a bi*ch. I just wanted to leave.

I keep mentioning money, I know- But to me, Its like- I have other expenses and bills and this came on so fast and Its like, even more coming out of pocket. My health insurance alone is $200 a month.. and then it doesnt even cover what I need, so thats another wasted few hundred..Im just sick of feeling like Im throwing away my money. If I could get on something thatll help me, thats awesome- Ill pay whatever. But this- this is temporary if anything at all. At a month and 2 weeks into 2 treatments, I should NOT have 7 cysts on my face. I should have at least half and even that isnt much of an improvement.

frankieb:

there IS hope for you. it sounds like there is a good chance you'll be prescribed accutane for your acne. just keep trying.

i have a derm appointment next week. i'm worried. i have mild acne but very oily skin. i highly doubt i'm going to get accutane and that's just frustrating.

i was on it last yr (a doc accidentally prescribed it to me). when i was on it my skin was great, but now it has regressed. and at my last appointment with him he made me cry. telling me how youthful i'll look thanks to my oily skin and telling me to buy these shine control products he was pushing.

i could have gotten him in trouble for accidentally prescribing my accutane. but what would be the point? i would have just meant more inconvenience for me.

thanks for the tips about seeing a cosmetic surgeon. i think i'm going to try that approach if my derm appointment fails. if not i guess i'll have to go to new york?? any recommendations for derms there?

~Amy

ShineyGal-

Hey Girl- Whats up? Yeah some derms seem to have no education what-so-ever. They need to learn something called TACT. Does he really think telling you your oiliness will make you youthful will make you feel better about your acne? ...What a total assbag.

Yeah Ive NEVER cried in a doctors office before. I just couldnt even stop it- you know when your tears pour out- mine filled up and just poured out. Awful. And she was tapping her foot. I swear if I didnt have respect for people I would have gotten up and decked her. Completely insensitive. It makes me want to be a dermatologist- just to offer help to patients. In a way, a derm should be similar to a therapist.. Very calming, understanding and willing to listen.. It seems like this lady just didnt like me, though. Which is fine- Whatever..I dont like her either lol.

Well, the problem was also that they cost $20 a shot..and I have 7 shot-worthy cysts.  She wanted to do all 7, plus the one on my back shoulder.  I told her No and she rolled her eyes... Then, after another few mins we were talking about the scarring aspect..and I said I was trying to prevent that, and i already have massive amounts of red marks- and she cut me off and was like "OH stop, RED MARKS are nothing...those will fade...thats nothing.Stop with that."  Basically belitting everything I felt... And then she said again, "Its 20$ a shot.. Let me inject them all for you, it will take that inflammation way down.."  And at that point, I was thinking Im not giving you 140$ plus another $50 for my visit cuz you are worthless and a bi*ch.  I just wanted to leave. 

I keep mentioning money, I know- But to me, Its like- I have other expenses and bills and this came on so fast and Its like, even more coming out of pocket. My health insurance alone is $200 a month.. and then it doesnt even cover what I need, so thats another wasted few hundred..Im just sick of feeling like Im throwing away my money.  If I could get on something thatll help me, thats awesome- Ill pay whatever. But this- this is temporary if anything at all.  At a month and 2 weeks into 2 treatments, I should NOT have 7 cysts on my face. I should have at least half and even that isnt much of an improvement.

Exactly- this is why I freak out about money regarding this situation. I pay $50 for the visit alone.. my health insurance is around $200 (Its not offered thru work so I have my own)

Then.. $20 a shot ....yeah.. I dont wanna leave there spending another 190$ - So its like, yes id love to just take accutane and get it over with because as much as I cant afford that either.. at least its better than getting 8 shots every month, at almost 200$ a pop. it comes out to be the same thing basically.... thats why im pushin for it so much.

frankie: that is insane--to charge you for each shot. damn. i would call up some other doctors in your area and ask to talk to a nurse over the phone before you make the appointment. ask him/her if the doctor perscribes accutane...it is no use to make another appointment if the doctor has some weird law-suit phobia. so, if the nurse is like, yeah--we perscribe it for persistant cytic acne--then make the appt. if she is like, no, the doctor rarely does. then peace out and call another. YOU WILL FIND A DOCTOR THAT WILL HELP YOU.

also, maybe you should eat chinese food tonight. i bet the fortune will make you feel better. the other day, mine was "you will step on the soil of many countries". i automatically felt better, like--yeah--i'm gonna travel.

JJ- No its definately cystic acne.. She felt my face, and was like "I see you have cysts, I wont disagree." But she just wanted to inject them one by one and have me come back in a month. Immediately she told me she saw tv ads for accutane lawsuits recently and is very weary of prescribing it cuz "people just want money"...Which is offensive, cuz she was basically saying she thinks Id sue her and Im money hungry. What-the-hell-ever.

Im gonna post pics soon- but none with acne showing- no way. Im not brave like that. I do hair and make up for a living- so Im excellant at covering them, its just sickening without makeup- and sometimes with it because theyre still HUGE bumps with makeup on them. Ick.

Lex- Yeah Im definately gonna call around. I called some plastic surgeon offices as well, but none here seem to do skincare in the sense of ...acne treatment. They do peels, dermabrasion,etc.

I know- Cuz I said to her "Well I dont know if my insurance even covers the shots" and she was like- Ohhhh Pshhh- its what, $20 a shot without insurance. Well, PSHH for 7..that gives you 140$ .....God talk about MONEY HUNGRY.

So I had my appointment tonight with this supposedly great dermatologist.

I walk in, the assistant asks me why Im back so soon.  I told her my acne is getting worse, and Its making me really self concious and I dont like the current meds Im using.  She gets nasty and says "You arent even using everything- THATS why youre breaking out."  I was like.. Um?  I told her Clindagel isnt covered by my insurance, and its 77$ and I cant afford it.  She told me my insurance DOES cover it.  I told her IT DOESNT, I CALLED.

The Dr steps in. Tells me im back too soon, and have only been on these meds for 2 weeks.  Ummm.. Ive definately been on Retin A for over 2 months, and Doxy for over a month now. (Started it Feb...its now the end of March.)  She told me I didnt give it long enough.  I kept saying "I am on it for this long..Im getting worse..that should not be happening."

She wouldnt give me accutane because "lawsuits" ...She said people are looking for money and she wouldnt just give me it like that. Shes like you have to wait at least 3 months or longer to see results on antibiotics. I told its temporary anyway, and why bother??  I told her its too hard and I havent been going out, Ive been depressed and I started crying hardcore- I just could NOT keep it inside.  She touched my face, and said "I see you have cysts, I wont disagree with you on that. Let me inject them. Itll take all that inflammation down."  I was like "No I dont like needles, and I dont want that."  She rolled her EYES.

Anyways..she stood there for a few mins, I cried like an asshole- and then she gave me a tissue and said "Im not saying I wont ever prescribe it. But now- No way."    What the F**K... Obviously I HAVE cysts (7 right now to be exact) and theyre OBVIOUSLY big enough to be injected.. and OBVIOUSLY im in complete distress because of it cuz IM CRYING and she still had zero sympathy.  The girl at the front desk was like "are you ok"  I told her No- and was like This was a complete waste of $50.

So Now I feel completely hopeless. Am I going to exist with all these cysts and red marks and spots for the rest of my life?  I dont think Im gonna... So Im completely screwed.

Frankie B I feel so upset on your behalf!!!! I know it won't change anything but maybe you could vent your anger to them in a very direct letter of complaint demanding that they reimburse you. I know it sounds dramatic but you are a consumer and totally have the right to complain about not getting the service you require. I know that she is a doctor and in some cases asking for a refund for a doctor not giving you the drugs you want sounds completey crazy but in this case surely you have the right to. isn't it their duty of care. you are obviously at your wits end (I know exactly how you feel there) so Roaccutane is your last resort.

yeah, yeah blah, blah wait for the 3 months shit. No way!!! Why suffer the whole three months not knowing if what your doing actually is going to help in the long run when you can start something that you know will help you. we all know the trials of trying just about everything under the sun always being disappointed, disillusioned, frustrated, confused and distraught at the end of the day.

Definitely try another derm and start afresh walking in there and explain that you have tried it all and are on to the last resort plan.

I did that with my dermo and yes she did say why don't you try Differin first and I said OK but I am totally over trying things that send me on a total emotional roller coaster and in the end it's for nothing!! I did try it but after 9 weeks and the worst skin I have ever had, I called her and said I just can't take this anymore and the only thing that waiting has achieved is that it has given me time to really think on the Roaccutane option and research it alot and now, after reading lots on this website imparticular, I am sure that I want to give it a go

Shouldn't it be about informed choice after all. we are not children!!!

Lucky Girl-

Thanks for your post! I would love to write a letter to them, just explaining all the areas she was wrong in. I dont really feel upset that I wasnt given the Accutane, I was more upset by the way they talked to me, the way they treated me, and the way she acted ABOUT my request. All she had to say was "Not right now." But- Instead, she goes on about lawsuits, and tells me "You know, it IS a miracle drug, and it WOULD clear you right up, but Im not giving it to you. I never said I will NEVER give it to you. But you are not getting it now."

So..thanks for rubbing in the fact that it WILL work for me. GOD! So insensitive.

Also..After my huge crying fest, and basically spending the night on the phone with my best friend, mascara running down my cheeks and my red marks looking their absolute worst (I guess because my whole face was red).. I was really, really at my wits end at that point. The next day, I felt better. Last night, I went out and had ALOT of fun. Im starting to realize that I need to enjoy my time, and stop worrying so much about my skin. Yes, at times it looks absolutely horrible. The funny thing is- the 7 cysts that I had that night, are pretty much just red marks now. Retin- A Micro dries them up SO FAST (but i think its whats causing these blasted red areas..whatever, you win some you lose some.The red areas are easier to cover than big ass mounds)! So, Im trying to enjoy the days that I dont have all these cysts, as opposed to sitting at home ALL the time, even when Im not broken out all over the place. (The red marks look awful without make up but WITH make up, you really cant tell. Thank god for being a cosmetologist/ makeup artist...) When I had make up, I would be pointing things out to people (the red marks) and they had no idea what I was talking about. When I have cysts, I cant really cover them cuz some get SO big.

I still would do Accutane. I still get cysts. I still hate acne. I just think that like someone else posted, I needed a little soul searching.. I needed to see that crying about it doesnt make it go away, and being at home by myself doesnt make anything better. It makes it worse. So Until a DR prescribes me Accutane.. Ill just use what Im using, hope for the best- and when I dont have any or if I dont have THAT BAD of a breakout.. I can still socialize. People dont care what your skin looks like..they really dont. I need to take my own advice and be myself again. Now, dont get me wrong- Im still self concious. I have these little dots all over my forehead right now and they look terrible. With make up, I can pretty much cover them but in certain lighting it looks really bad. If I get any bigger zits on my forhead, Ill stay home again. But only til they clear up, as opposed to ALL the time. I decided Im not gonna let myself cry and lose friends over this. Its just something that happened out of the blue, and it doesnt control me... I have to learn that. I think alot of us have to learn that.

Frankie B - Iswear you put my exact in wors wo well it's freaky LOL. I have my own little battles going on in my mind all the time. I tell myself, don't worry aoabout your skin too much, people like you for you, they don'g judge you for your skin etc.etc. I force myself to go out everyday as I have to really due to work and children committments, but I have to psych myself up so much to do it and I can't wait to get home to my sanctuary. I spend ages i the morning trying to carefully cover as many red marks and lumps as possible and I agonise over cysts that have come up to the point of tears, as , like you say, they are just impossible to cover and the make you feel like a freak. I look obseesively at the condition of other peoples skin and are sssoo jealous of those with beautiful skin and feel a kind of bond with others I see with acne though I am embarassed as sometimes I feel like everyone is thinking ' oh those poor people' or something (they probaly aren't though). I am a really social person and this condition is just plain debilitating!!!! I even gave a lame excuse to friends at the weekend a they wanted me to go away to a wine district with thema nd I just couldn't face it with my skin like it is. that would be one of my favourite things to do usually and I am usually a very honest peron too. I find it almost impossible to open up to people and be honest about what acne actually makes me feel like too (except for my husband). as if it will draw more attention to it. I try to pretend to be my usual confident happy self. With this latest breakout though, I have told a few friends and family of my dilemma and they are actually very supportive and understanding and it makes me feel so much better to be able to talk about it with someone. My really good friend with perfect skin said to me. ' Well t makes sense that you are worried about it as after all the skin is the largest organ of our body and of course you are going to feel terrible as your face is on display, that's totally understandable but theres more to you than your face and I love you anyway' I thought that was really nice.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that you are so not alone and I am sure that we arenot the only two to go through this too. I find the less I worry about it the better my skin loolk so some of it must be psychological. It's just that then I wake up one morning with another big cysts and the depressed cycle starts again.

Take care and good luck in your quest and I think we need to remember that likfe is just too short!!!

xoxo

Not to be anti-dermatologist or anything...

but I saw one that made me cry too...

He told me about others who's faces were horrible...

telling me if I only had acne like the others in his waiting room

(there was a lot of kids with bad skin out there)

and that I should be thankful mine wasn't that bad.

Well to me, it WAS that bad...

that's why I was there!

So I cried in front of him...got handed the tissue too!

then NEVER went back.

My next Derm died suddenly of a heat attack...

and the final Lady Derm I saw (who was supposed to be the best

in the city) started me over on the same stuff (that didn't work)

that the first a-hole derm gave me.

Three Derms later...I almost gave up!

My regular General Practitioner I see every year for

my physical is the ONLY doctor that has even given me the time

of day with my acne...and the reason it has improved!!

I would rather see a normal GP doctor...than see a skin specialist/dermatologist

who doesn't give a hoot!

You would think these specialist would want to help people...

not make them cry!~

Lucky- Yep, I totally hear you on the depressed cycle. Its almost as if you are being taunted... My skin will look great with make up (red marks still without)- so I can go out and do whatever and feel somewhat confident. Then, A big cyst pops up..and another..and another.. and I wont go anywhere. So I totally feel you on that.

Its a shame because theres a whole hell of a lot of things Ive passed up in the 8 months Ive been getting these ultra-painful, ultra-ugly cysts. I can honestly say my 21st year was a sad one. I feel like I got cheated out of one of the most fun years of my life. I definately used to lock myself up and wouldnt go anywhere. Now- Im realizing more and more that Im blessed in different ways. I used to be quite shallow and sort of a snob.. Ive been knocked down more than a few pegs. I think part of the reason me and you (and people like us, cuz God Knows there are MANY) are hit hard by these skin problems because we have a perfectionist attitude. Im obsessive-compulsive over my skin. I need to learn to stop, and it might get better without me touching it and looking at it, and messing with it.

Its terrible that we have to psych ourselves up just to face the day. Its terrible that dermatologists seem to be the most obnoxious branch of Doctor in the vast medical field. But, It is what it Is. And, eventually we will figure this acne thing out. I know that I will probably do laser treatment to fix the red marks. And if I can get it, I would take Accutane. But until then- I need to try and be more positive. If I wake up with cysts tomarrow- Ill probably write back and say *F**K everything I just said* lol ....But lets pray that doesnt happen.

Holl- Yeah- Crying in a Dr's office is probably one of the top most humiliating things- and then they make it worse by forcing themselves to throw you a tissue. Ugh. FN Bastards. What did your GP do for you? My GP is one of the most caring, sweet, understanding people Ive ever met in my life. Shes young, blonde and a mom...Shes just wonderful. But- she cant give me Accutane. (she thinks its only for males, or something...so..that worries me but I swear shes awesome at every kind of problem you could think of..)

Good luck girls!