Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

how do you know if a foundation is pore clogging

I used some maybelline stuff for ages, and started thinking it was breaking me out so started to look for another. but toward the end of my serach i cleared up a LOT, but got some colorstay anyhow.

Ive broken out really bad recently (been using colorstay about 2-3 weeks) and dont know whether to attribute it to the colorstay or an initial mino breakout.

Ive broken out in places ive never broken out in and never applied make up to though, which leads me to think its something else eusa_think.gif

ive only had like one spot on my cheeks before, but broke out with about 5 the other day sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

gutted.

I used some maybelline stuff for ages, and started thinking it was breaking me out so started to look for another. but toward the end of my serach i cleared up a LOT, but got some colorstay anyhow.

Ive broken out really bad recently (been using colorstay about 2-3 weeks) and dont know whether to attribute it to the colorstay or an initial mino breakout.

Ive broken out in places ive never broken out in and never applied make up to though, which leads me to think its something else  eusa_think.gif

ive only had like one spot on my cheeks before, but broke out with about 5 the other day  sad.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif

gutted.

by the way

make sure that ALL the products you use are non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic and fragrance free smile.gif

i agree with julieta--read labels. i think the most important phrase is "non comedogenic" or "non acnegenic." do not go by "oil free" alone. "oil free" does not necessarily mean that the product wont clog pores.

many NON-oil substances are highly comedogenic, and some oils are actually GOOD for your skin. one common myth is that mineral oil will clog your pores. actually, it does not, and is an emollient in many common products Accutane and other acne patients use such as Cetaphil moisturizer, Eucerin, etc.

anyway, in terms of make up, the labels are your friends. pay attention.

also, i heard from my derm that many 'high end brands' of cosmetics are MORE likely to make you break out. the expensive prices reflect the complicated number of ingredients and preservatives they use in their products. cheaper brands, however, have to dilute their products with a lot of water and therefore, are less likely to clog your pores. interesting, huh?

i definately agree with Karen about how the cheaper brands of makeup will cause less irritation then more expensive brands with tons of ingredients listed. Except Wet N' Wild. That makeup is horrible! I have been using Neutrogena for awhile now and their products are the only products that improve my skin. However, alot of people say that makeup that has oil in it clogs your pores. I have been using some products that have oil in it and they don't break me out, ones with stuff like petrolatum. Ill give some ingredients of my makeup:

Purified Water, Isododecane, Myristyl Ether Adipate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Talc, Isoeicosane, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butyloctyl Salicylate, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Urea, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl Laurate, Polysilicone-11, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium PCA, Matricaria Extract (Chamomilla Recutita), Geranium Maculatum Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, BHT, Copper Tripeptide-1, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silica, Nylon-12, Petrolatum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Glycol, Alumina, Dipropylene Glycol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride, C30-45 Alkyl Methicone, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Iron Oxides

So why doesn't it break my skin out? Any feedback please

i definately agree with Karen about how the cheaper brands of makeup will cause less irritation then more expensive brands with tons of ingredients listed. Except Wet N' Wild. That makeup is horrible! I have been using Neutrogena for awhile now and their products are the only products that improve my skin. However, alot of people say that makeup that has oil in it clogs your pores. I have been using some products that have oil in it and they don't break me out, ones with stuff like petrolatum. Ill give some ingredients of my makeup:

Purified Water, Isododecane, Myristyl Ether Adipate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Talc, Isoeicosane, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butyloctyl Salicylate, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Urea, Cetyl Dimethicone Copolyol, Hexyl Laurate, Polysilicone-11, Quaternium-18 Hectorite, Cyclohexasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium PCA, Matricaria Extract (Chamomilla Recutita), Geranium Maculatum Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, BHT, Copper Tripeptide-1, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silica, Nylon-12, Petrolatum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylene Glycol, Alumina, Dipropylene Glycol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Chloride, C30-45 Alkyl Methicone, Codium Tomentosum Extract, Iron Oxides

So why doesn't it break my skin out? Any feedback please