Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemma

Appointment with naturopath

Hi, I have an appointment at a natural health clinic next week with Dr. Robert J. Thiel. I went online and it seems like he is very knowledgeable and has much success with his patients. I was just wondering if anyone has seen him before? He is located in Arroyo Grande, CA. Thanks!

Oh, and I will post anything he says that I think might be helpful for anyone else.

Hi, I have an appointment at a natural health clinic next week with Dr. Robert J. Thiel. I went online and it seems like he is very knowledgeable and has much success with his patients. I was just wondering if anyone has seen him before? He is located in Arroyo Grande, CA. Thanks!

Oh, and I will post anything he says that I think might be helpful for anyone else.

I have not heard of him. However, I saw a naturpoth for the 1st time a few weeks ago - VERY helpful. I hope your appt goes well.

Okay, I just had my appointment. Unfortunately, I have no imforation for anybody regarding diet or other things. This is because he said everything is unique to the individual and according to him, there is nothing foodwise that is causing my acne. Even though I took antibiotics for several years he pretty much said that dairy and wheat shouldn't bother me. He even mentioned that ice cream was okay.

Has anybody seen a naturopath before who used reflex nutrition assessment??????

I am really a little skeptical of this technique. Pretty much I brought in all my face washes and supplements and such and he held them up to my face or other parts of my body. Meanwhile I would be holding my arm out to my side and he would push down on my arm with his hand and my arm was supposed to resist the pressure. If it dropped it meant it was a no go, if my arm resisted it meant that the item didn't bother me and was good to go.

From this assessment he told me that my acne has to do with my thyroid and my hormones and told me to take these three products: Ovex, Hist-O-Cal, and Whole System Thyro.

And also he used this little laser on my face that sent these pulses! I am so confused by this whole appointment. I asked about doing cleanses...I want to do liver and bowel and fasting. He said I didn't need to do any of this...that it's fine if I want to but it's not necessary.

Has anybody ever seen a naturopath or tried reflex nutrition assessment??? Does it work??? It seemed like such crazy talk!!! I just want to know that I haven't gotten taken....(it cost a lot).

Seems a little suspect to me. I've never heard of anything like that. There is no way for him to know if dairy or wheat will bother you based on the bs he did. I have gone to good naturopaths and I have gone to not so good ones. I know how frustrating it can be when you are asking questions about what the hell they're doing and not really getting good answers. Maybe you should do some investigating, maybe call around to some other naturopaths, or get in touch with one of the naturopathy schools (Bastyr in Seattle, NW School of Natural Medicine in Portland OR) and see if what he did is really something considered effective by their profession.

Okay, I just had my appointment. Unfortunately, I have no imforation for anybody regarding diet or other things. This is because he said everything is unique to the individual and according to him, there is nothing foodwise that is causing my acne. Even though I took antibiotics for several years he pretty much said that dairy and wheat shouldn't bother me. He even mentioned that ice cream was okay.

Has anybody seen a naturopath before who used reflex nutrition assessment??????

I am really a little skeptical of this technique. Pretty much I brought in all my face washes and supplements and such and he held them up to my face or other parts of my body. Meanwhile I would be holding my arm out to my side and he would push down on my arm with his hand and my arm was supposed to resist the pressure. If it dropped it meant it was a no go, if my arm resisted it meant that the item didn't bother me and was good to go.

From this assessment he told me that my acne has to do with my thyroid and my hormones and told me to take these three products: Ovex, Hist-O-Cal, and Whole System Thyro.

And also he used this little laser on my face that sent these pulses! I am so confused by this whole appointment. I asked about doing cleanses...I want to do liver and bowel and fasting. He said I didn't need to do any of this...that it's fine if I want to but it's not necessary.

Has anybody ever seen a naturopath or tried reflex nutrition assessment??? Does it work??? It seemed like such crazy talk!!! I just want to know that I haven't gotten taken....(it cost a lot).

My opinion: (for what it is worth)

Of COURSE he said it wasn't diet related.  I mean, if he said that, and you fixed your health, then why go back to him?

Keep us posted as I am skeptical.  I hope I am wrong and these things help you; I really do!

Thing is, MOST naturopaths will tell you it IS diet related.  Diet is the foundation of naturopathy!  Unless you have something that obviously isn't diet related (like a broken arm), I think it almost unethical of a naturopath to not at least CONSIDER your diet, ESPECIALLY in the case of ACNE!!

I totally agree.  I mean ICE CREAM - at least if he said you can have whole grains or yogurt but ice cream?  That would be a no no for sure in my humble opinion.

Oh, well he did consider my diet....he asked me what I ate for each meal. But I eat pretty good so he saw nothing wrong with it. I researched him and he seems legit...that's why I was so confused. But I am going to have faith that it will work...I have no other choice, it cost too much money. redface.gif

Oh, well he did consider my diet....he asked me what I ate for each meal. But I eat pretty good so he saw nothing wrong with it. I researched him and he seems legit...that's why I was so confused. But I am going to have faith that it will work...I have no other choice, it cost too much money.    redface.gif

I went to a naturopath and he performed the same test. I am actually a believer. He said I had Candida... I later had a stool test done by a nutritionist which showed excess yeast and a parasite. He did say I needed to change my diet (which I have done). I would try what s/he recommended and just see if you notice a difference. Many acne sufferers learn that their probs were hormone related.

Gemma, the 'reflex nutrition assessment' you refer to is also called 'kinesiology'. I think it is more of an eastern practice. I am cynical about the results myself, but supposedly they are valid. Anyhow, the site administrator at AskShelley.com (her name is Shelley) refers to this method of kinesiology in various forums of her site. She is very knowledgeable about naturopathic medicine, very straight-forward, and helpful. You may want to ask her if kinesiology/reflex nutrition assessment yields valid results. I presume she would know.

Regards,

Dj