Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helen Searle

Dianette - 21 years

Have been to doctors today and been told I can no longer take Dianette! Believe it or not, after 21 years of taking it. The explanation was that they have now discovered that it can cause blood clots. I am very upset about this as I know what effect it will have when I come off it as I have tried several times in the past. I have been prescribed Yasmin. Has anyone else tried this bcp? I feel that at the age of 44 I cannot cope with acne. Dianette worked very well for me and I have only the occasional spot whilst I'm taking it. I will probably end up buying it on the internet. This website is very interesting for me as I have had a very bad day coming to terms with no more Dianette!

Helen

I'm sorry to hear your plight Helen, but it's probably for the best. I'm sure your skin will be fine. In fact, maybe your skin will look better once you have this drug out of your system. 21 years is a long time. Anyway, we're here for support smile.gif

That sucks about dianette. I can't even get it here in the US. While I have never tried diane, but I am on yasmin and it helps. It didn't get rid of my acne but it definately controls it. Good luck!

Helen I was on Dianette for about 8 years and it controlled my acne well with Lymecycline. I rarely had a spot, 1 per month max.

Last year I came off Dianette in March and stopped the BCP altogether. By June my acne was moderate and the worst it had been. By September my acne was severe and even worse (even tho I was still on Lymecycline).

My acne was really angry and concentrated on my chin at first, then spread up to my cheeks and under my nose and round my mouth. Almost in a beard shape (can anyone relate?)! End of September I went on Roaccutance (2 x 20mg per day). My acne has cleared now but I've a feeling if I don't take another anti-androgen it will come back if my acne is hormonal. I don't want to go back on Dianette tho because it affected my mood - but I didn't realise that when I was on it cos I'd been on it for so long.

I have been trying to figure out whether my hormones were reacting to coming off dianette or whether I have hormonal acne that the dianette was surpressing.

My advice to you is stay on Dianette if it works for you and you don't want any more children. Or try Yasmin for 3 months and if you break out badly go back to Dianette to reverse the outbreak. Also I think Yasmin has only 25mg of spironolactone in, which is considered too low a dose to suppress acne effectively.

Lol I think that if it didn't cause and blood clots in 21 years, it wouldn't cause them in th next 21 years. I would order it online and not tell them anything. I mean many people are using it and they're fine.

Too bad it didn't help me... but I used it when I was in my early teens, so maybe my hormones were too up there to control them..

Have been to doctors today and been told I can no longer take Dianette!  Believe it or not, after 21 years of taking it.  The explanation was that they have now discovered that it can cause blood clots.  I am very upset about this as I know what effect it will have when I come off it as I have tried several times in the past.  I have been prescribed Yasmin.  Has anyone else tried this bcp?  I feel that at the age of 44 I cannot cope with acne.  Dianette worked very well for me and I have only the occasional spot whilst I'm taking it. I will probably end up buying it on the internet.  This website is very interesting for me as I have had a very bad  day coming to terms with no more Dianette! 

Helen

Hi!

what happened to being able to choose for yourself, doctors should let us have more input into our treatment sometimes. I will give you my thoughts on yasmin with my history ofand experience of it so far:

Is Dianette the same as Diane 35ED? IF it is read on... My doctor gave me Yasmin to take instead of Diane 35ED Apparently it is better long term than Diane 35ED (this must be because of the blood clot thing), it has less oestrogen in it than Diane I had taken Diane 35 on and off between children and that in combination with minomycin and Benzac was failry good (still a few pimples but not full blown acne). I went of Diane and mino (been on it too long) as my skin has become progressively worse over summer and after another child. went on yasmin and Differin to try. I broke out majorly and felt much more 'hormonal', at least for the first month and don't know if it was just the pill or a combination of everything. Anyway am now on Bactrim to calm the breakouts while I start Roaccutane. My skin seems to be calming down alot (I think because of the Bactrim mainly) and I am feeling less 'hormonal' Now my doctor called me this morning to say she wants me to start Diane 35 again as it gives better protection than Yasmin on roaccutane. I'm really hoping it doesn't cause me to break out.

Like I say I don't know if it was a combination of everything that caused me to break out but I definitely have felt more hormonal i.e. irritable and moody and also had a really heavy forst period and the second was long. I think it would setttle down after a while but now I am going back to Diane so I am worried I will go through that initial hormonal problems again. Did you when initially on Diane? I just can't remember if I did last time and things are just starting to look good so am neervous about it.

My derms feedback on it also was that may GP's and dermos are prescribing it over Diane now and are getting good results from it.