Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vitamin E has a reputation for improving Skin Quality and many people regularly apply topical Vitamin E oil for this effect. Due to this popularity a recent study looked at Vitamin E's effectiveness for improving the appearence of surgical scars. Compared to an antibiotic ointment, Vitamin E oil was found to have no increased benefit in the final appearence of the scar. In fact, some people who used Vitamin E oil developed a contact dermatitis over the area. So if you'd like to minimize a scar, Vitamin E does not seem to be the answer.

so what topical cream would be good for scars then? i have a raised scar and would like to know if there's such things as 'scar' gel

vitamin E IS a nutrient (fat-soluble vitamin)

taken internally. What we are discussing above is vitamin E applied

topically (on the skin). Vitamin E functions as an anti-oxidant in the body

and keeps certain very reactive compound from destroying cellular

structure, such as the membranes around the red blood cells and other

tissues that can be 'oxidized' by 'free-radicals.' Vitamin E functions by

stopping the chain reactions that these free-radicals can cause at the

cellular level. For the vitamin to act as an anti-oxidant, however, it

must be taken internally, as far as I know.

Bio-Oil contains Vitamin A and Vitamin E, Calendula, Lavender and Rosemary oils, and Chamomile extract. Bio-Oil contains no preservatives and is suitable for all ages and skin types.

thats not to say that it wont help at all

okay u can stop now ur hurting my head with all the info it would have been easier for u to say no it does not help but thanks for the trouble.

I bought BIO-Oil and i was told it got rid of scars and i was wondering if anyone has used it before and if it works.

Here is some info from cosmeticscop.com:

"vitamin E for scars. There is no evidence that vitamin E can help heal scars, and, because of skin sensitivity, it can actually impede the healing process for some. A report of research published in Dermatologic Surgery (April 1999, pages 311–315), in an article titled “The effects of topical vitamin E on the cosmetic appearance of scars,� concluded that the “… study shows that there is no benefit to the cosmetic outcome of scars by applying vitamin E after skin surgery and that the application of topical vitamin E may actually be detrimental to the cosmetic appearance of a scar. In 90% of the cases in this study, topical vitamin E either had no effect on, or actually worsened, the cosmetic appearance of scars. Of the patients studied, 33% developed a contact dermatitis to the vitamin E. Therefore we conclude that use of topical vitamin E on surgical wounds should be discouraged.� The study was done double-blind “with patients given two ointments each labeled A or B. A was Aquaphor, a regular emollient, and the B was Aquaphor mixed with vitamin E. The scars were randomly divided into parts A and B. Patients were asked to put the A ointment on part A and the B ointment on part B twice daily for 4 weeks.� Antioxidants are definitely an option for skin, but, for preventing scars, vitamin E directly applied on skin does not appear to be one of them."