Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey,

Has anyone tried the Red Light and Blue Light acne phototherapy lamps? If so, how well did they work for you? I found a site that sells them for much cheaper than others do, and definately much more cheaper than what dermatologists charge for using their machines. For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a little info:

Blue Light Kills Acne Bacteria

"[blue] Light gets at the core of what causes acne eruptions: P. acnes, the bacterial responsible for causing acne inflammation, pumps out tiny molecules called porphyrins. When those porphyrin are exposed to certain wavelengths of light, they produce free radicals that kill the bacteria. Without P. acnes around to cause inflammation, acne clears up." American Academy of Dermatology

Benefits of Blue Light Acne Treatment

100% natural and non-invasive

drug-free with no adverse side effects

safe for all ages and safe for daily use

painless

easily self-administered in your own home

Approval of Blue Light Therapy for Ance

July 2000

British Journal of Dermatology

Red Light Aids Healing

Research reported in the British Journal of Dermatology (July 2000) found that regular sessions under blue and red light has been shown to "radically" help clear acne in moderate and less severe cases.

"The consultant dermatologist Tony Chu sent 120 patients home with specially designed red and blue lamps to be used for 15 minutes each day. The results, published in the British Journal of Dermatology, show a 76% drop in visible spots over 12 weeks." Taken from a report by Simon Bowers.

The blue light, as described below, attacks the bacteria that causes the acne, and the red light has an anti-inflammatory and healing effect on the skin. In fact, research done by David Olszewski, co- author of the book “Light Years Ahead� has shown that skin heals almost 200% faster when exposed to red light.

October 2002

American Academy of Dermatology

"A low intensity blue light source (405 nm to 420 nm) has been studied for the treatment of mild to moderate inflammatory acne. In the study, two 15-minute exposures a week for a period of four weeks produced a 60 percent reduction in acne in 80 percent of patients. Reported remissions from acne lasted as long as three to eight months." American Academy of Dermatology

August 2002

FDA Approves Light Therapy for Acne

The FDA approved blue light therapy for acne in August 2002. The first approved system of treatment, ClearLight, is available through dermatologists. Patients are exposed to a blue light source for 15 minutes twice per week for 4 weeks. Each treatment costs between $50 and $150 per session, making a full course of treatment an average of $800. Light therapy for acne is considered "cosmetic" and is therefore not covered by insurance.

The website I got this from is http://www.kaliszincolor.com/, and is the website that sells the lights for extremely cheaper than other places (although they still may be expensive to some.) However, you can easily search for more info, of course, by just typing in 'phototherapy for acne', 'blue light and red light for acne' etc. in Google or some other search engine. After I recieve the lights and use them, if you're interested, I will keep you all updated on how they work, (or don't work). If anyone else has anymore info about phototherapy for acne and how it has worked for them, please post it! I'd really appreciate it, and it might help someone else out who may be interested in this treatment as well. Thanks!

Peace,

wub.gif Nadiyah ninja.gif