Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrankieBGirl

Accutane for mild/moderate acne....

Alright.. lately ive been reading some posts that are saying something to the effect of ..."I finished Accutane/im in my whatever month of accutane,etc... And Im getting one to two cysts..every..blahblah"

My question is... For me, I get about 5-8 a month... If I take Accutane, will that pretty much stop them from forming.. or will I potentially pretty much guarantee getting a cyst or 2 a month? ....I dont know if its worth it for a small improvement such as that.

Also- Cassadie.. You were saying that you dont have moderate acne, its more persistant mild...meaning you only get a breakout every now and again. So, after Accutane, would you be totally cleared up- or is it possible you wll still suffer from a breakout every now and again as some say they have after accutane?

I dont mean to make anyone upset or anything.. I just dont really understand how it all works. The less breakouts u have before tane, means the less youll get AFTER....or it doesnt matter?? I feel so dumb right now but Im honestly concerned. I wouldnt mind getting a zit every now and again, but if I can count on having at least one or two big cysts a month.. Im not sure if putting myself through accutane is totally worth it... altho it isnt 5-8..so maybe it is. I dunno, just a thought.

you'll probably keep breaking out throughout your whole accutane course, but each month the breakout should be less and less, and finally you should be completely clear. most people have no breakouts at all when they are done, and maybe after about a year you might start having spots again.

Anecdotally if not statistically Accutane appears to achieved more prolonged remission with lower rates of relapse in mild and severe cases, with persistent moderate acne tending to prove a more evasive foe. Your age, gender, acne severity and acne history may all play variably significant roles in your chance of post-Accutane breakouts. There has been a great discussion about relapse versus remission probabilities for different degrees of acne in The Accutane Equation in the Prescription Acne Mediciations forum.

Frankie: Are you saying that you get five to eight cysts a month? If so, I would put that more towards the severe side of acne than the moderate side.

You are aware of the potential of an initial breakout: a time period where the acne (and scarring) might get worse. What I can say is that from reading various member’s experiences, they usually say that their acne never came back as bad as it was before Accutane.

Right now, I have to say that the entire thing is worth it. When I was twenty-three, I’d get an occasional monthly cyst that seemed to coincide with my menstrual cycle and Minocyclin and Ortho Tri-Cyclen helped clear that up for me. At twenty-seven (in July - - still twenty-seven, actually), my skin erupted. My only explanation of this happening is Pyoderma Faciale. Still, the decision to go on Accutane is what ultimately saved my skin from scarring upon more scarring.

Arpazia- Really?? Mine would be considered more severe? In a way Im relieved because I could never classify myself..and I wasnt broken out badly when I went to the derm. So She basically told me that I probably have what is considered Moderate acne..So I took that, and ran with it.

Im so scared of relapse..that word sends shivers down my spine! I think we all feel that way, though. Hopefully I will be in the group that gets tiny post-Accutane breakouts.. I can deal with small zits every now and again.. But what I cant deal with is.. is these horrible, ugly cysts that last FOREVER.

If possible.. can someone explain what is considered hormonal acne? I always thought it was hormonal if it gets worse the week before your period... Mine does get a bit worse, but clears up the week I have it....then the cysts start the week AFTER...and from that point, I break out ALL month long..as opposed to JUST before my cycle. Is that still considered hormonal acne because it occurs on (mainly) the lower part of my face? Now Im getting cysts on my cheeks pretty regularly.. which I never got before Retin-A and Doxy came into my life 2 months ago. Its great to know that my acne didnt even remotely improve with these 2 meds..even after the given 8-9 week marks that they say youll see an improvement. I also am scarring pretty badly in the last 2 big breakouts I had. Baddd.

I need Accutane, yet cant afford it. Im hoping the accutane assistance program can work in my favor. I know that you have to have no medication coverage- which i dont for any and all acne meds.. But I do live at home, and if it goes by family household income- I know I wont get it... YET! My parents would never help me pay for it..so I hope it goes by your personal income or something.

At least in my opinion, yes. When I started Accutane, I had probably around five to seven cysts on my face. They were the monstrous kind - -something my skin never experienced before. I was busy insisting on Minocycline while it progressed and my dermatologist was urging me to try Accutane.

Like nearly everyone else who needs Accutane, I was terrified. Was I going to throw a rope around a branch and hang myself? Would I accidentally get pregnant and give birth to a new breed of aliens? Was my brain going to swell while I slept and Keith woke up to find my skull all over the pillow? Fortunately, none of these things happened.

With regard to relapse, there was a study I read which says that women relapse thirty percent of the time. I also believe in the equation that Antony set forth - - at least what I was able to read of it - - and I thought my posts were long. Still, Frankie, please keep in mind that most people DO NOT relapse.

If your acne is hormonal, it doesn’t mean your skin has to break out when you have your period. It sounds as if your acne is more hormonal considering you breakout every other moment but. The other indication for hormonal acne is when it forms around the lower half of your face - - specifically your chin and jaw-line.

I’m sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time getting a prescription. Do you have a call into Roche? If you absolutely need to go through your parents, I think its time you sat them both down and explained how this disease (because it is a disease) is effecting your life. Further explain that the extent of the scarring you are already experiencing can be prevented with a course of Accutane. List the medications you have tried and how each one has failed. And, when worse comes to worse, tell them you’ll never ever ask them for another thing again as long as you live. This is, of course, a lie but it will show your parents how important this is to you.

I just remember being nineteen, living on my own and I couldn’t get financial aid for school because I was still somehow considered a minor and I had to be twenty-three to qualify. By the time I was twenty-three, I was married and therefore didn’t qualify because they counted his income. I hope you don’t run into the same situation.

Arpazia-

So, Hormonal Acne can be anything? How do they determine it? Im on BCP's for 4 months now, and my acne seems even worse. The pill is a higher estrogen pill, indicated for acne use- and yet.. I see not even close to any results.

Does Accutane have any effect on hormonal acne? Ive heard it doesnt..but I know of people who had cystic acne on their chin (i.e. the girl at my salon who took it 2 years ago) and now she just gets tiny whiteheads.

My parents DEFINATELY wont pay for it. Its not that they are rich, because they arent- but they make enough to usually not allow me to qualify for anything. Ya know what I mean? Accutane can run upwards of like, 400$ a month. For..however many months. That is not do-able.

I have so much destruction on my skin right now- I feel awful. I wish I could do something about the red marks, THEN address the acne. The red marks are really, really bad because it actually makes me look like I have severe acne, as opposed to what I really have. (except the fact that I have 7 cysts right now..one of which is very small, and the other is basically a flat, round scar of some sort it seems..that doesnt want to heal or get lighter for any reason.. It keeps peeling and stays red and slightly raised.)

Anyways.. Thank you for your help. I hope to God something works out for me, because otherwise..God only knows. I just know I do not/cannot live like this any longer... Why live when you arent really living? Ya know what I mean.. It hurts more to be alive knowing you are able to do all these things, but cant because you are inhibited by your skin.

The best way to determine whether or not your acne is hormonal is to go to an endocrinologist. An endocrinologist will test all of your hormone levels and be able to make a determination as to what might be out of whack. Just to prepare you, it’s a weird experience and you do need to be topless for a portion of the appointment. When I went, he kept asking me if my voice was getting deeper or if I was growing hair in strange places. The problem you might encounter is the fact that you are currently on birth control pills and that will change your levels in some respects.

Speaking of birth control, what are you currently taking? Since you gave it a three-month try and it isn’t working - - it is time to make a switch. Years ago, Ortho Tri-Cylcen worked wonders for me. Anymore, it has done nothing so I am on Yasim. It’s all a matter of how you personally react to the pill. For everyone, it’s different and at different stages in your life, it might be different too.

For generic Accutane, I pay around $200 a month. This is without my insurance covering the prescription considering they only cover the prescription when I reach a $500 deductible. I hope this makes the drug more feasible - - possibly.

Have you tried the holistic route?

Please hang in there. Check out seeing an endocrinologist. That might be your solution. I want you to have faith that it will get better and please, please don’t let this thing get in the way of you living!