Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BP works just fine for me. My only problem with it is it makes my face too red and prolongs redmarks. I suspect that people are using enough BP or they expect it to kill their acne too quickly.

Some people can be allergic to BP. I just get huge cysts, severe dry skin and a very red face. I have had acne for 16 years and have tried different strenghts and combinations of bp down the years. I persevered for 6 months constant use once and i looked hideous throughout.

I find Salyclic Acid to be far more effective and kinder. I have to keep changing the product/brand though as my skin seems to become dependant on it and the effectiveness slows down. Whenever I use a new product with SA in my skin kind of clears up a little again(I say kind of as i have really stubborn acne)

Guest TylerD

Well actually I always thought that bp works for alot of ppl. It works for more ppl then it doesnt work for ppl. Anyone ive ever met has worked for them. I always thought bp worked for everybody until i came too this site haha. There is quite a few on here with problems but i guess everyone's skin is just different in some form of fashion.

BP can cause a lot of dryness and irritation, even if you use moisturizer and slowly ramp up the dosage.

It also causes a lot more dead skin which I believe can end up clogging pores and making more acne.

Guest TylerD

Ya but if you use an exfoliating scrub and a good Eucerin Moisturizer to get rid of the flakes then they go away causing your skin to be pretty healthy. Its only when you just use BP and nothing els when your skin gets dry and clogs up. But just make sure when using the bp you have a good cleanser and moisturizer otherwise use something els if you cant use a moisturizer.

I was reading in a book recently (titled "Breaking Out") that bp is the single most effective acne medication that you can buy without a prescription. That the key with it is to use it preventatively. You have to use it consistently, everyday, all over where you typically get acne, even when you are clear, and it should keep it under control better than even antibiotics. This book also said that the reason alot of people get inconsistent results with bp is because they do not use it all over everyday, they tend to use it as a spot treatment (because the packages usually say to use it this way), but as a spot treatment it is fairly useless because the pimple has already formed. The bp functions best to prevent those inflamed breakouts.

Anyway, this book goes on to say that alot of people cannot tolerate the high amounts (5%, 10%) that is typically marketed on the shelves and so give up using it because it is pretty harsh on the skin. If you cannot tolerate to use it at least once a day all over, then you are not going to get optimal results.

This is the reason Dan's Regimen works so well, because the bp is applied generously all over, twice a day, and a low 2.5% is used. And then a moisturizer is added to counteract the side effects of the bp. Most people can tolerate the low-dose bp, and so can use it consistently daily.

Most people don't use it in that way, and find it intolerable, and don't use it consistently, is probably why people do not have much success with it.

I have used bp products for years, probably 20 years total, everyday, but did not have the profound improvement until I used it in the way Dan describes, everyday, twice a day, very generously, and with a moisturizer. I have always been afraid to use moisturizers, but this does help one be able to tolerate frequent applications of bp.