Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Illegal Life

A guy new to makeup...

First off let me say I have absolutely no idea what to look for or what any terms mean..(like foundation and stuff @[email protected])

Anyway I have a few pimples I get but I have brown hyper pigmentated areas(since Im black they dont turn red..). Im really just looking to hide those and get my forehead to look like it did a last year... I just need to know wtf to buy or look for in order to hide these areas and not make it look like Im wearing makeup..(Id lose definite cool points...)

So basically can someone be nice enough to explain what I need to look for, the best brands, and what some of the makeup terms mean..

Also Im just looking to cover my forehead with whatever no other part of my face/body

If you have a dermotologist, it would pobably be best to ask him or her. Or maybe even your GP. Otherwise, it's sort of trial and error...the packaging usually says if the makeup is non hypo-allergenic, and if it will cause blemishes, but they pretty much all say that. Also, go for the stuff in a tube, not in a bottle. It looks less caked on that way. Some people like the spray-on foundation for this reason, since it's so light. Personally, I don't think I've seen it available in the stores anywhere, but keep looking, since it's new. :-)

First off let me say I have absolutely no idea what to look for or what any terms mean..(like foundation and stuff @[email protected])

Anyway I have a few pimples I get but I have brown hyper pigmentated areas(since Im black they dont turn red..).  Im really just looking to hide those and get my forehead to look like it did a last year...  I just need to know wtf to buy or look for in order to hide these areas and not make it look like Im wearing makeup..(Id lose definite cool points...)

So basically can someone be nice enough to explain what I need to look for, the best brands, and what some of the makeup terms mean..

Also Im just looking to cover my forehead with whatever no other part of my face/body

Anyway I have a few pimples I get but I have brown hyper pigmentated areas(since Im black they dont turn red..).  Im really just looking to hide those and get my forehead to look like it did a last year...  I just need to know wtf to buy or look for in order to hide these areas and not make it look like Im wearing makeup..(Id lose definite cool points...)

Neutrogena has probably the gentlest ingredients in their makeup and is convenient to buy at your nearest drugstore. However, I do not know if they would have shades in your color if you are african american. so, this is what you do: go to the shelves, pick up a bottle, unscrew the cap, and put a dab on the back of your hand. voila! thats your trial. don't bother to buy a bunch of bottles. However, you can't always tell if these foundations will make your skin break out later. It's good to know what some terms mean like, "Hypo-Allergenic" means that the makeup does not contain ingredients that commonly cause allergic reactions in people. "Non-comedogenic" or "Non-acnegenic" means that the makeup does not contain common ingredients that can cause blackheads or clog pores. If you break out easily it's good to always but makeup that says "oil-free', means no oil is in makeup. If you get all three of these on the bottle then thats is a plus.

Try Coverfx for Men and Women....Check out the website....It's an amazing product which I swear by!!!!!! I have roscea and mild scars.....visit coverfx.com for more info...wink.gif Totally undectable with a multicultural color palette.....cannot tell indoors or outdoors that you have anything on your face....completely natural look and feel. Take care, Laurel.

It's very difficult for a person of color to find a makeup/concealer that matches perfectly. Most products on the shelf contain fillers (e.g. talc, etc.) that will give your skin a white/ashy look.

The best recommendation for people of color is to use pure mineral cosmetics (just do a google search and you'll get many hits). They are high pigment products with little to no filler so the color will look true upon application and will stay true throughout the day when the oils in your skin interact with it. Cheaper quality cosmetics will often change color throughout the day and that's a dead giveaway that you are wearing makeup.

Lastly, you need to find a concealing product to cover the individual blemishes. A thicker one with a creamy consistency (usually found in small pots or stick form) is the best for coverage. The liquid/runny concealers won't give you much coverage and are difficult to apply. However, if you have too many spots to cover individually, you'll need to cover the entire forehead area. In this case, the pure mineral pressed powders will do better because a little product will provide high coverage. The key here is to find an item that matches your skin perfectly otherwise it will be noticeable.

Recommendations: For pure mineral lines, one line is found at purminerals.com. For both spot or total area coverage, Smashbox Foundation Stick (an opaque multi-purpose stick found at smashbox.com or qvc.com) and Dermablend (at most major department stores and some pharmacies) are great although you may need to purchase 2 colors and blend them yourself to get the perfect match. Dermablend has a huge color selection so it may be easier to find a matching color and the counter person should be able to help you find the appropriate color plus train you in how to use the product (it may take some practice to get it right).

Estee lauder maximum coverage is superb, it hides any marks while looking invisible.

They do a colour called deep which is for dark skinned people.

I am a guy also and I faced the same problem, I tried them all, some looked obvious, some made me shine, others did not hide the marks.

This stuff however hid any marks, looked natural and did not make me all shiney.