Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

K guys and gals I just got the hugest most swollenest cyst i've ever had. Looks like i grew another nose out the side of my cheek and it hurts like a mafacka. Could anyone suggest something other the bp i could treat this sucker with? Toothpaste didnt do shit and icing doesnt really reduce it but it numbs the pain from smiling and talking. Any and all help would be preciated. thanks.

I would get a cortisone shot from a dermatologist. I had quite a few big ones, they took like a month to go away and can leave a bad scar cause they got too large. They suck!

Guest Anubis

When I get a big cyst I take Ibuprophin(for swelling) and apply an OTC hydrocortizone cream ( to the cyst only) for a few days. I also use ice to help with the swelling. Treat it gently and don't rub, pick, squeeze, or itch it or do anything else to irritate it. In my experience those things just make it swell MORE wacko.gif

Guest Avian

When you wash your face, try to avoid making it rupture, either by washing too hard or using water that is too hot. If you do this, the skin may never heal properly, or you may be left with a horrible red mark that doesn't go away for months and months, like me.

Thanks for the replies. I dont usually get monsters like this so I've never had to go to a derm yet before, think I'll check the stats on it tomorrow morning and decide whether or not a cortizone shots necessary. So far i've iced it, put a dab of toothpaste on and covered it up with a bandaid. I know toothpaste prolly isnt the best thing for it but I dont really have anything else. This is one of those suckers that isnt going to come to a head I know it, so im gonna have to try putting anything on it and wait it out or make an appointment with the derm i spose. Whats the deal with cysts anyways? Everytime I get one that does come to a head there isnt even more puss inside as any of my regular zits. So whys it get so swollen and hard?

Guest Avian

The swelling and hardness is an inflammatory response of the skin, not the puss. Cysts develop underneath the skin, and result in more swelling. Be sure to put lots of BP on, you can use it to kill off the bacteria and make it heal faster.