Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antony

Suddenly TOO Clear For Accutane

Please read this as I really need some advice from my friends on acne.org

My story is strange and a bit of a read, but it's worth it. You'll think I'm joking in places but I'm dead serious.

Some of you guys know that I've been excitedly counting down the days to starting Accutane, and that this was going to be TODAY. I picked up my baseline test results from the GP this morning and headed to the derm.

Two to three weeks ago with persistent unresponsive mild to moderate acne ago I agreed with my derm that my latest antibiotic course wasn't satisfactory and that I wanted to go on Accutane, baseline tests pending.

I had started with this derm at a walk-in clinic two months ago when I had my most severe breakout ever. I went with her after the one my GP referred me to back in January told me I couldn't get an appointment until July. So I phoned every dermatologist in the phonebook and she was the soonest one I could see. So when I met her in January with my most severe ever breakout, after years of exhausting everything from antibiotics and topicals to comprehensive detox's and faultlessly adhered to acne diets and yet with persistent moderate acne still at 21, I told her I wanted to go on Accutane. I told her that I had previously done courses of tetracycline and minocycline. She insisted that it was worth trying another antibiotic course before Accutane, at least giving it a shot for 2 months before coming back, and I stupidly relented.

Now here's the thing, and it's going to sound devious and rather hubristic-- I NEVER even bothered to pick up the antibiotic ON PURPOSE, because I've actually worked in dermatology and I know about acne, antibiotics and especially erythromycin; I didn't want to possibly have a few months of mild clearing so she'd get rid of me, only to break out even worse after the course (which always happens with antibiotics and which I knew would happen in my case-- I knew my acne wouldn't naturally self-resolve while on the course). I wanted ACCUTANE, no matter what. I was tired of wasting the best years of my life obsessing over whether to eat this or that in addition to taking a million supplements a day and sitting in my dark room when my breakouts were bad (even though perhaps quite moderate by some standards, for me they were crushing-- acne is like that). So think of this ethically what you will, but I deliberately did not take the antibiotics in order to get the Accutane 2 months later.

Most breakout slowly began to heal, and in the intervening 2 months I experimented with a much healthier diet, supplements, detoxing, etc., exactly the things that I didn't want to have to worry about once my skin was done and dealt with on and afer Accutane. I did the baseline test two weeks ago, made the appointment with the derm for today, and I was noticing that my skin had really recovered my January breakout, and my moderate acne was now mild. OH NO! I thought-- the derm is going to take one look at me and say "Oh great the antibiotic cleared you up nicely, keep it up, bye bye." This despite the fact that unbeknownst to her I never even took the antibiotic!!! My skin looked too good to ever get Accutane. So I spent the past week leading up to today eating nothing but every chocolate bar I could find, as much McDonald's as I could, drinking loads of Coke, scrubbing my face with harsh drying cleansers-- doing everything I never allowed myself to because I was morbidly obsessed with breaking out...

And when I looked in the mirror this morning before going to the derm, I was terrified to find out that I was PERFECTLY clear. Granted I still have red marks and some blotches from my previous breakout, but there isn't a blackhead or whitehead on my face. Just my fucking timing, huh? Frantic, I actually ran to a Burger King, bought a large fries, and back in my room I RUBBED A HANDFUL OF GREASY FRIES ALL OVER MY FACE, ON PURPOSE. It was absolutely disgusting and something that for someone who is used to having acne would be simply UNIMAGINABLE. You have to understand that this would make or break(out) my chance to get Accutane and never have to worry again about whether I MIGHT or MIGHT NOT break out at some point again (esp. seeing as I would most certainly have complete remission from my mild to moderate acne taken as a male at 21-- see The Accutane Equation).

Three hours later my skin is still looking pretty damn good. So the derm doesn't give me Accutane despite seeing me only 2 weeks ago and telling me I would get it-- because sure enough today of ALL the days in my life I have probably the clearest skin I've had in at least the last 7 friggin' years of acne. Some people talk about badly timed breakouts? This was a badly timed CLEAROUT!!!

Soooo.... either my acne has miraculously and finally self-resolved with post-adolescence at 21, or it's just a matter of time until I break out again, at which point my baseline test results will be obsolete and I still can't guarantee then I'll necessarily get Accutane out of my damn phonebook-derm.

OR I MIGHT be able to see a dermatologist through a cosmetic surgery center pulling the "I'm a professional actor and my career requires it" card-- which is true anyway-- but I don't think there are any local such centers with in-house dermatologists.

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO????!!?!!!!?!????!!?

hey im about to go on accutane and my skin has cleared up pretty nicely too, but i know its cuz im on vacation and i always clear up when im relaxed. But you could just be going thru a phase where ur skin is clear, and since u ate all that junk it may take a while for ur body to break out. I have clear spells then wake upone day with the zit factory--maybe its just a phase for u. I would honestly wait, cuz if its actually going away on its own thats AWESOME and u shud be HAPPY!!!!

Guest Avian

Tell your derm you didn't take it, because you wanted accutane so much. Then she might put you on it due to the psychological effects (i.e. wanting to break out so you could get rid of acne for good).

Antony-

Hey hun- Well, Congrats on the clearing, yet- DAMN! the clearing!?! I know what you mean, though- That happens to me, too. I was almost totally clear when I went to the derm the first time. The only reason I got an antibiotic was because my shoulder had a small breakout on it- and I made sure to point it out. I also told her that my breakouts come at certain times (not hormonal acne tho, It happens AFTER my cycle, throughout the whole month..and clears near to my cycle..which is the time i went to the derm)

Anyways.. She gave me an antibiotic, which I wasnt going to take- but ended up taking. Im using Retin- A Micro as well, and Doxy. Well.. My acne laughs at these medications. I have 5 cysts right now... So, obviously I am resistant to medications and my type is the acne equivalent to the Hulk.

Turns out, that my shithouse insurance doenst cover ANY acne medications- so I dont know if I can get Accutane in general. I am looking into the Accutane Assistance Program...as that is my only hope. Im currently trying to find out what the qualifications are of it.

As far as my advice for you, and the point of all my babbling above- is that.. Acne is tricky and you cant predict what youll look like next week. Yeah, you cleared up right now... And thats awesome. Most of us would celebrate, very guardedly.... BUT! Almost ALWAYS you will break out again. You are acne-prone... and this is probably just a random clearing.

My point is that when you go to the derm, be completely honest. Tell her you didnt take the antibiotics and they are not responsible for you clearing up. Tell her youve been less stressed this past couple weeks...and thats why you think your skin is nice right now.. But, also play the actor/career card. Tell her that you know that in a few weeks, your skin will break out again and its just not worth it to you to waste this appointment, bloodwork, and money... knowing that your skin will erupt in the near future. Obviously someone wouldnt want to take Accutane if they didnt need it.. But, If you feel more comfortable waiting it out and seeing what your skin does- Do that.. But in my oppinion, I think its a random clearing and itll just happen again because Acne is a bitchface, and thats what it does.

Man oh man, this story is just the perfect example of how acne psychologically just fucks you UP, DOWN AND INSIDE OUT. I really must have a disorder of the mind resulting from this skin disorder..... a sort of "acne psychosis". My original scheme to pretend I was taking an antibiotic to deliberately breakout over 2 months so that I could THEN get Accutane; then spending a week eating literally nothing but chocolate and scrubbing my face with hardcore breakout cleansers and even rubbing french fries into my face to deliberately breakout; now having perfectly clear skin which anyone here would kill for and feeling miserable because it means I can't take Accutane, and knowing that it's only a matter of time (but who knows?) until I break out again but then my baseline tests will be obsolete and my derm will ignore me..... Acne has REALLY fucked me up.

Frankly, i dont think there's much you can do at this point. You're clear, and even if you get a pimple, like, right THIS SECOND, you'd be hardpressed to find any derm who will prescribe Accutane for you, even a low dose treatment.

All I can say is, stop with the burgers (the ultimate irony would be if you finally get a derm to agree to Accutane and then find out your damn cholesterol is too high and your liver is screwed up), enjoy your clear skin (and take care of it) for as long as it lasts, and when and if the time comes, find a new derm.

No sense in going back to the old derm. If you tell her, well, i never took those antibios, she'll say, well, you're clear anyway! Bye bye!

take the antibiotic - the initial breakout from that should make your derm think twice lol.

or .... eusa_shifty.gif you could buy a month's supply of tane and at the time of inital breakout you can show your face to her.... eusa_shifty.gif

don't take my advice! eusa_naughty.gif

Please read this as I really need some advice from my friends on acne.org

My story is strange and a bit of a read, but it's worth it. You'll think I'm joking in places but I'm dead serious.

Some of you guys know that I've been excitedly counting down the days to starting Accutane, and that this was going to be TODAY. I picked up my baseline test results from the GP this morning and headed to the derm.

Two to three weeks ago with persistent unresponsive mild to moderate acne ago I agreed with my derm that my latest antibiotic course wasn't satisfactory and that I wanted to go on Accutane, baseline tests pending.

I had started with this derm at a walk-in clinic two months ago when I had my most severe breakout ever. I went with her after the one my GP referred me to back in January told me I couldn't get an appointment until July. So I phoned every dermatologist in the phonebook and she was the soonest one I could see. So when I met her in January with my most severe ever breakout, after years of exhausting everything from antibiotics and topicals to comprehensive detox's and faultlessly adhered to acne diets and yet with persistent moderate acne still at 21, I told her I wanted to go on Accutane. I told her that I had previously done courses of tetracycline and minocycline. She insisted that it was worth trying another antibiotic course before Accutane, at least giving it a shot for 2 months before coming back, and I stupidly relented.

Now here's the thing, and it's going to sound devious and rather hubristic-- I NEVER even bothered to pick up the antibiotic ON PURPOSE, because I've actually worked in dermatology and I know about acne, antibiotics and especially erythromycin; I didn't want to possibly have a few months of mild clearing so she'd get rid of me, only to break out even worse after the course (which always happens with antibiotics and which I knew would happen in my case-- I knew my acne wouldn't naturally self-resolve while on the course). I wanted ACCUTANE, no matter what. I was tired of wasting the best years of my life obsessing over whether to eat this or that in addition to taking a million supplements a day and sitting in my dark room when my breakouts were bad (even though perhaps quite moderate by some standards, for me they were crushing-- acne is like that). So think of this ethically what you will, but I deliberately did not take the antibiotics in order to get the Accutane 2 months later.

Most breakout slowly began to heal, and in the intervening 2 months I experimented with a much healthier diet, supplements, detoxing, etc., exactly the things that I didn't want to have to worry about once my skin was done and dealt with on and afer Accutane. I did the baseline test two weeks ago, made the appointment with the derm for today, and I was noticing that my skin had really recovered my January breakout, and my moderate acne was now mild. OH NO! I thought-- the derm is going to take one look at me and say "Oh great the antibiotic cleared you up nicely, keep it up, bye bye." This despite the fact that unbeknownst to her I never even took the antibiotic!!! My skin looked too good to ever get Accutane. So I spent the past week leading up to today eating nothing but every chocolate bar I could find, as much McDonald's as I could, drinking loads of Coke, scrubbing my face with harsh drying cleansers-- doing everything I never allowed myself to because I was morbidly obsessed with breaking out...

And when I looked in the mirror this morning before going to the derm, I was terrified to find out that I was PERFECTLY clear. Granted I still have red marks and some blotches from my previous breakout, but there isn't a blackhead or whitehead on my face. Just my fucking timing, huh? Frantic, I actually ran to a Burger King, bought a large fries, and back in my room I RUBBED A HANDFUL OF GREASY FRIES ALL OVER MY FACE, ON PURPOSE. It was absolutely disgusting and something that for someone who is used to having acne would be simply UNIMAGINABLE. You have to understand that this would make or break(out) my chance to get Accutane and never have to worry again about whether I MIGHT or MIGHT NOT break out at some point again (esp. seeing as I would most certainly have complete remission from my mild to moderate acne taken as a male at 21-- see The Accutane Equation).

Three hours later my skin is still looking pretty damn good. So the derm doesn't give me Accutane despite seeing me only 2 weeks ago and telling me I would get it-- because sure enough today of ALL the days in my life I have probably the clearest skin I've had in at least the last 7 friggin' years of acne. Some people talk about badly timed breakouts? This was a badly timed CLEAROUT!!!

Soooo.... either my acne has miraculously and finally self-resolved with post-adolescence at 21, or it's just a matter of time until I break out again, at which point my baseline test results will be obsolete and I still can't guarantee then I'll necessarily get Accutane out of my damn phonebook-derm.

OR I MIGHT be able to see a dermatologist through a cosmetic surgery center pulling the "I'm a professional actor and my career requires it" card--  which is true anyway-- but I don't think there are any local such centers with in-house dermatologists.

WHAT THE HELL DO I DO????!!?!!!!?!????!!?

lol. I thought I was too clear for accutane before my appointment too. My derm told me my face was terrible.

hes right acne fucks u in the head big time, im left with wierd obsessive compulsive looking in mirrors, if i dont look in a mirror for longer than an hour i panic and freak out

That's pretty mean. Like anyone here I've had my moments of great irrationality and emotional vulnerability because of acne. At times I thought it was driving me crazy. I think we've all felt a little crazy at times because of acne, haven't we?

Have a little empathy.

Guest Avian
You my friend are a charlatan, its not accutane you need, its mental help.

Antony - I totally understand where you're coming from. Before I went in for my derm appointment last fall (the one I'd had to schedule 2 months in advance), I was hoping my skin would look its worst, just so that I could get Accutane. I even picked at all of my possible pimples to make it look more irritated and red. Fortunately for me, it worked. Oh, and I did the fake antibiotic taking too - except I actually filled my prescription for a 2 month supply of Minocycline (with my health insurance, it barely cost anything), then only took maybe about 2 weeks worth of it because a) I had zero faith in it to begin with, and b) I wanted something better than that, and so basically just waited until my next appointment to get the Tane.

I personally think it's not cool of your derm to suddenly change his mind like that. If just two weeks prior you'd been promised Accutane, you'd think a dermatologist of all people would understand that a little clearing within a two week period isn't the magical end of an entire adolescence plagued by acne. I'd be extremely upset and probably would have questioned the decision.

You have two options I guess - to take care of your skin while it's clear and hopefully keep it that way, or to aggravate it to break out again in hopes of proving to a derm that you really do have persistant acne. I would only suggest going for Accutane if you truly feel that you DO have acne, and this clearing is seriously temporary. My silly "how to break out" advice: you could always try putting mineral oil on your face, that's a surefire comedogenic oil. My Aquaphor for my lips has mineral oil in it, and I get little whiteheads around my mouth just from THAT!

Don't worry about acting irrationally, I think having acne has made us all a bit crazy. wink.gif

Good luck

Mae

trying eating a pack of oily chips somthing fryed and not baked and then use ur hands to rub the oil onto ur face. thats how my pimples started 7 yrs ago and still regreting it good luck

trying eating a pack of oily chips somthing fryed and not baked and then use ur hands to rub the oil onto ur face. thats how my pimples started 7 yrs ago and still regreting it good luck

i know it sounds stupid to smear oil on my face but the story is that when i was in high school i had a clean complexion and pmy friend got jealous and as a joke he smeared his oily hands after eating kettles chips on my forehead and that is how it started my long battle with acne and it actually started on my forehead 1 day after the smearing

if my skin had cleared just like that. I think I would be happy for the time being. Just wait and see where is brings you. I understand you wanting the accutane just to make sure you get rid of it for sure. But maybe you just grew out of it. It has ahppened b4 when a persons skin problems just resolve themselves.

If you beleive in god, you can come to the conclusion that you just aren't meant to go on tane because you might end up in suicide or really bad health problems because of it.

All in all, your skin is finally giving you a break, just be happy with it for now, I know I would...........