Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

accutane for the second time

I prescribed myself accutane today.

I went on accutane 3.5 years ago. Cleared up my face/neck/shoulders/chest 100%

anyhow, its back, so off i went to the derm. He was some noob amatuer who really didnt know jack about acne and its meds. Suffice to say I was very surprised and a bit miffed.

I TOLD HIM ALL ABOUT ACCUTANE AND ITS EFFECTS etc etc and, said I wanted 40mg for three months, starting at 20mg daily for the first couple of weeks to minimise breakouts etc. Told him last time i did it i had a blood work done monthly, which he noted, and a few other things.

He was like 'errrrr, right, ok, errrrr, uummmm', had a quick chat to the head dermo guy, gave me the note for the blood test stuff and got a prescription ready for when the results come back.. eusa_wall.gif

I was baffled by this lack of knowledge, tho didnt really care cos i got what i wanted so... cool.gif

anyway, back to the whole 2nd accutane treatment deal. This really isnt the best time to be getting dried up like a prune as im due to finish university and do all the things that come with that (getting a job, graduating etc) but hey ho. Im 23 now and really hope a second course will fix me for good cos im sick of fighting this shit, Ive had acne since time began,

wish me luck! smile.gif

Hey Phil! Way to go telling the derm what you wanted and getting it too! Good luck with the 2nd treatment! biggrin.gif

hey thanks cassadie smile.gif , i just hope it goes as smoothly this time as it did the first time round (no initial breakout/redface/major side effects etc).

I think the derm i saw was a real easy goer, didnt take any convincing at all. Then again the first one i saw 3 years ago was pretty much the same, i think they are just like that in the uk or summat, I dont think they can get prosecuted or anything here like they can in the US.

anyway, cant wait to get the stuff, hows you doin?

I honestly think that more dermatologists are focused on what they consider more severe skin diseases than acne - - therefore the lack of knowledge and the lack of results from seeing a dermatologist. I recall months ago calling into a dermatology office for an appointment with anyone of their doctors. The receptionist asked what it was in reference to and I replied “acne� and she told me they weren’t taking anymore acne patients. I tried to explain that I was twenty-seven and my acne was cystic but they wouldn’t budge. I was completely furious.

Oh well…

Phil, I wish you the best of luck with your second round and hopefully you get the results you want. I am not surprised by your story. More and more lately, I find that dermatologists don’t have a clue. I’m fortunate enough to have one who does.

Guest Craigems

hahahhaha whats up with your derms over in the UK ... wow. If that happened to me i'd be worried ... bigtime.