Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brazord

Purpose Cleansing Bar and Dryness

Hi. I'm new to the Regimen and I just washed my face with the Purpose Cleansing Bar that Dan recommended. Well, after doing so my skin was much dryer than normal with flaking everywhere. This never happened with the Clearasil Daily Face Wash (non-medicated) that I used to use. Maybe I lathered too much on my face...I'm not really sure....Should I continue with the Purpose Cleansing Bar or switch back to the Clearasil Daily Face Wash?

Thanks for any help...

this happens to me aswell especially when i come out the shower i fink its the white residue from soap

however the soap is suppose to be really good when using it with this regime

evenetually u can try a AHA moisturiser which will help ur flaking skin

Oh, ok. So I shouldn't worry about excessive dryness irritating my acne or anything like that? Perhaps my skin just has to adjust to the purpose cleansing bar like it has to adjust to the BP??

Thanks for any replies...

I never used the purpose bar, but i tried the purpose in the bottle and it did over dry my skin. If I were you I would try the cetaphil because its extremely gentle and is cheap if you buy it in the large bottle.

You said you're worried about the dryness causing irritation to your acne... I used the Purpose bar for quite awhile when I first started the regimen. It really dried out my face as well, but it still got clear. But I decided that although dry skin is better than acneic skin, it still stank. So, on the advice of a couple of people on these boards, I tried Johnson's baby bar. (It can be found in the baby section at the grocery store, Target, WalMart, etc.) It's A LOT gentler to my face. It's cheap - only about $1.50, so it's not a huge investment. And I've used the same bar for I know at least over a month and it's still got a lot of use left. It didn't break me out at all. You still get that super clean feeling after washing your face, but it won't be tight and flaky after your face dries. I really like it a lot. Just a suggestion... but I would never go back to the Purpose bar again.

try to keep your showers as short as possible and dont have them too hot either. the heat of the water added with the steam add increase the amount of dryness. next time your just washing at the sink try using just cold water instead of warm or hot and you will see the difference.

I tried purpose bar and its very drying, I use cetaphil bar and I love it, also check out Aveeno oatmeal bar, its real good and they have different bars for different skin types.

today i use the purpose gentle bar and i found it brught me out in this weird red mark very noticable on the top of my right cheek

i experience this before in the past and fought it was just and insect bite or sumthin

it goes down completely which is strange and i think maybe the bar caused this maybe coz it was too dry and irritating

im now using the neutrogena bar for normal skin which does not include any harsh ingredients this bar does not contain sodium chloride which might be drying my skin too much?

are there any other names for this ?

Cetaphil soap bar or Johnson's baby bar is better?

I having a hard time getting rid of bumps... :?

Johnson's baby bar have alot of type which one you refering to AngelaJo?

by bar you mean soap bar right ? . "johnsons baby soap" i just bought some of this and its the 3rd cleanser im trying in as many weeks i need something that is gonna stop the peeling tightness and redness .. just im scared cos in these posts it doesnt say soap and it has that .."im gonna burn your skin" smell to it .. i know this is prob a stupid question n i have the right stuff but if any1 could confirm for me .. thanks

i just used the baby soap .. i honestly never expected it to work as well as i has .. my face actually doesnt feel like it needs moisturising and i can talk without my skin peeling away from my mouth area .. this feels to good .. i just hope it has no side effects

Alpha Hydrox Moisturizing Cleanser it’s great dude , I have been testing it for 1 week and it is very gentle , washes off completely w/o no dryness or striping the skin. Give it a try , it’s the one in the tube (Optimum series) :wink:

Sorry guys... hadn't checked this topic in awhile. Glad you're having good results, leeb. I've been using this soap for over a month and I am very happy with it. And another thing that helps, is that after you've been on the regimen for awhile and you're skin's starting to get used to the bp, seriously use an alpha hydroxy moisturizer. You will be surprised what a difference it makes.

As far as which soap I use, evesun, I really have never seen any varieties. I just go to the baby section, and it's a little bar soap in a little box by Johnson's that's for babies. Maybe it is called Johnson's Baby Soap, but I thought it was Johnson's Baby Bar. In any event, it should cost less than $2, and when you open it, it's white with wide kind of wavy ridges on the sides. Sounds weird, but you'll see what I mean if you buy it. I've never tried Cetaphil, so I have no idea if it's any good, really. But I swear by Johnson's now!!!!! :wink:

u know what I found about using the purpose bar.....when I first used it...I lathered like crazy.....hoping to be "extra" clean...but that flaked me out...dried my face a lot......

About a month into the regimen I got lazy...so I didn't lather as much....just light lather...almost like soapy water....this worked a LOT better for me....I didn't flake/dry anymore....and my acne started to improve from that point on....so Now I'm all good...

maybe u guys can try to lather less...worked for me.

I just bought Johnson' soap bar today .It pink in colour.. In here, there is lots of type of J. soap bar. So i just take anyone. I have the feeling,it clogging my pores...hmm, I don't know.Let wait and see the result.

And another thing that helps, is that after you've been on the regimen for awhile and you're skin's starting to get used to the bp, seriously use an alpha hydroxy moisturizer.  You will be surprised what a difference it makes.  

hey thanks for the gr8 tip the baby soap is still working great .. its much better than my origional $5 soap bar that tore my skin apart .. as for this alpha hydroxy moisturiser .. i went 2 my local pharmacist and he couldnt find any moisturiser of this sort and said he would need a brand name or something .. i dont really know what the difference is between this n a normal moisturiser ... *has no idea what the benifits are* ... .. chance you could let me know .. again .. thanks a load.... ohh and a brand name n where i can get it .. im a uk resident

I think Eucerin Renewal is an alpha-hydroxy... That's what Dan recommends. I couldn't ever find it, so I don't have any experiences to share! But, I found this moisturizer by Neutrogena. Here's everything it says on the front of the bottle: Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion SPF 15 "A Multi-Vitamin Facial Treatment with Alpha-Hydroxy." The one I have is 2.5 oz. I live in the US, so you'll have to ask someone else about where to find it in the UK. Since they sell other Neutrogena products over there, then hopefully they'll have that. Otherwise, just go to the moisturizer section and read all the labels and the back of the boxes or bottles. (This one comes in a box, by the way.) That's how I found this one. Just look for words like alpha hydroxy, oil-free, and non-comedogenic. If it doesn't say all of those things, I wouldn't trust it personally. Good luck!!!!

Glad you like the Johnson's soap! I told you!!! :wink:

Great great thread.I needed this.Friggin purpose tore my skin flaky flaky.I didn't smile before i put on moisturizer hehe.

I'll hunt for that baby soap tomorrow,as well as AHA moisturizer.Those things...expensive eh?

WOAH! HOLD ON! J & J Baby soap is still SOAP! With the regemin, you are supposed to use a gentle cleanser...not soap! =; I think Purpose is way too drying as well. I went with the Cetaphil liquid (actually, it was the Wal-Mart brand) and I have had great results. Absolutely no drying whatsoever (except from the BP in the 1st week). PLEASE do yourself a favor and don't buy the soap!

Actually, when I use Purpose my face isn't very drying at all, just don't use a really thick lather and I think you'll be fine.

My skin is completely clear due to the regimen, using J&J as the cleanser. It's much better than using the purpose that Dan recommends, in my case. The only difference I saw was that it smelled nicer and didn't dry out my face. And believe me, my face is sensitive. So it's really extremely gentle. Other than that, I pretty much follow the regimen as it was recommended. But obviously, it's at your own risk if you try it. I DOUBT you'll have any terrifying moments because it says soap on the front. O:)

Anyway, and where I live, the soap is less than $2, and the AHA lotion was around $10. But I've had both for two months and they haven't run out yet! :)

Just remember, it's usually cheaper to buy these things at Target, WalMart, etc. than at the grocery store.

Good luck!

And actually, I just realized it says "Johnson's Baby Bar" on the front. Nothing about soap. NO WORRIES! :)