Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Natalie25

My Roaccutane Experience

I am almost 23 years old and after almost five years of having mild to moderate acne, my derm suggested I try accutane (after i tried almost every OTC and prescription drug) even light therapy(which i don't recommend) and finally be able to have the clear skin i had when i was in highschool.

I have been taking 50 mg of roaccutane for almost 2 months now, and when my derm said that it's going to get worse before it gets better, he definitely wasn't joking. My self esteem has gone down some what since starting accutane because i have never experienced this many breakouts. It's like all the acne was just waiting underneath the surface for the right time to come up. I just wish they all hadn't decided to come up all at once. Some are painful, while others are just annoying.

The worst thing about this experience is that the only place where i am having breakouts is on my cheeks and the sides of my face. The good thing about it is that i can cover my face with my long hair. My entire T-zone is clear of pimples and i have some dryness on my face but so far my lips have been extremely chapped since day 1.

I've tried my best to cover up using oil free makeup and powders. I just can't wait till this experience is over and I can get back to living a normal life free of acne. Now, if only i can control the stress in my life since moving from the states to the middle east.

On April 10th i'm do for a blood test and meeting with my derm. At that time he will either increase my dose or decrease it. All i know is that each day is a bit of a struggle because i'm consumed of thoughts about my face and things i can do to make it less noticable.

I'm glad i decided to start accutane after college and now that i don't have much to do, i'm finding myself spending a lot of time at home and avoiding going out during the day. I start grad school in september so hopefully i will have a much better outlook and clearer skin by then.............i just didn't think it would be this hard.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone has that is going through a similar experience. Thanks!!!!