Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

this is really meant for girls but obviously it would be good to hear guys' opinion on it

so each time i go to buy my Roaccutane they tell me that i should not get pregnant, use 2 forms of contraception, you have it all written so big on the box not to get pregnant

i just want to see what the most common forms of contraception used are!

Guest Craigems

i know i'm a guy.... but basically its rubbers and the pill. As far as i'm aware.

my intention here was to see the extent to which people take such warnings seriously while on accutane......

Craig is right, it is mostly condoms and the pill. I am on Accutane and I cannot have children so I don’t have to worry about pregnancy while on tane, however I do take it seriously because no should conceive a child while on the drug or any drug. I hope that anyone able in childbearing age taking Accutane protects themselves against pregnancy. I also know people who use an IUD and happy with that.

I wish I could say that I use this and that, but my days of having children ended at age 23 for me.

Good Luck and hopefully others will post what they use so this can benefit others who did not want to ask the question or never thought about asking it.

Craig is right, it is mostly condoms and the pill.  I am on Accutane and I cannot have children so I don’t have to worry about pregnancy while on tane, however I do take it seriously because no should conceive a child while on the drug or any drug.  I hope that anyone able in childbearing age taking Accutane protects themselves against pregnancy.  I also know people who use an IUD and happy with that.

I wish I could say that I use this and that, but my days of having children ended at age 23 for me.

Good Luck and hopefully others will post what they use so this can benefit others who did not want to ask the question or never thought about asking it.

I am not sexually active right now...with my acne and low self-esteem....although after I clear up a bit...well who knows? I'm not on BCP right now so i have to be extra cautious....

Accutane or not, I can't possibly have kids right now.

I am not sexually active right now...with my acne and low self-esteem....although after I clear up a bit...well who knows? I'm not on BCP right now so i have to be extra cautious....

Accutane or not, I can't possibly have kids right now.

^yeah, with all these new strains of AIDS and STDs...

also, don't have sex with people randomly.

I can't use the natural method coz my period is abnormal...however i don't want to use bcp because it made gain a lot of weight in the past.

I will have to depend on my partner to protect me. I guess it's a good thing my ex and i had broken up. doubt.gif Otherwise the temptation would be too much.

So I guess we girls should start ordering toys? Kidding. biggrin.gif

^yeah, with all these new strains of AIDS and STDs...

also, don't have sex with people randomly.

I can't use the natural method coz my period is abnormal...however i don't want to use bcp because it made gain a lot of weight in the past.

I will have to depend on my partner to protect me. I guess it's a good thing my ex and i had broken up. doubt.gif  Otherwise the temptation would be too much.

So I guess we girls should start ordering toys? Kidding. biggrin.gif

Guest Avian
my intention here was to see the extent to which people take such warnings seriously while on accutane......

Don't even think about not taking it seriously. It is certain that any babies born to mothers on accutane will end up with severe defects.

I have a question about sex on Accutane that doesn't involve contraception.

It has to do with lubrication.

In theory, just as the skin-based sebaceous glands dry up on Accutane, the sebaceous and apocrine glands in the labia majora and minora (the vaginal lips) of the female genitalia should theoretically also suffer a reduced ability to perform their function of lubricating the vaginal lips when the woman is aroused thereby facilitating penetration by the man's penis during sex. The cell receptors of the labial/vaginal sebaceous and apocrine glands which secrete 'the juice of love' are physiochemically identical to those of oil glands in the skin and should thus be affected by the oil-gland-receptor targeting mechanism of the 13-cis-retinoic acid of Accutane in the same or similar manner. Just as the the lips on the face dry up, in theory so too should the lips below. Not to be crude: this is a subject of earnest curiosity that I would appreciate some comments on.

My girlfriend is on Accutane and this has never been an issue for us; naturally I would like to believe this just comes down to my superior technique.

However, I have had one close girl friend (note the space, a girl who is a platonic friend and not my girlfriend, no space-- bloody semantics) tell me that when her sister was on accutane she found sex painful because she couldn't get very wet and it hurt when her boyfriend would penetrate her (and no she did not have an STD as she obviously got tested to rule this out).

So I'm just wondering whether anyone isn't too embarrassed in this anonymous forum to contribute any insight into this aspect of sex on Accutane.

I have a question about sex on Accutane that doesn't involve contraception.

It has to do with lubrication.

In theory, just as the skin-based sebaceous glands dry up on Accutane, the sebaceous and apocrine glands in the labia majora and minora (the vaginal lips) of the female genitalia should theoretically also suffer a reduced ability to perform their function of lubricating the vaginal lips when the woman is aroused thereby facilitating penetration by the man's penis during sex. The cell receptors of the labial/vaginal sebaceous and apocrine glands which secrete 'the juice of love' are physiochemically identical to those of oil glands in the skin and should thus be affected by the oil-gland-receptor targeting mechanism of the 13-cis-retinoic acid of Accutane in the same or similar manner. Just as the the lips on the face dry up, in theory so too should the lips below. Not to be crude: this is a subject of earnest curiosity that I would appreciate some comments on.

My girlfriend is on Accutane and this has never been an issue for us; naturally I would like to believe this just comes down to my superior technique.

However, I have had one close girl friend (note the space, a girl who is a platonic friend and not my girlfriend, no space-- bloody semantics) tell me that when her sister was on accutane she found sex painful because she couldn't get very wet and it hurt when her boyfriend would penetrate her (and no she did not have an STD as she obviously got tested to rule this out).

So I'm just wondering whether anyone isn't too embarrassed in this anonymous forum to contribute any insight into this aspect of sex on Accutane.

My derm told me that area can become dry like the rest of the body will, I on month three and have no problems, just dry in the normal places.

My derm told me that area can become dry like the rest of the body will, I on month three and have no problems, just dry in the normal places.

whoever has any problems should just use water based lubricants and that should solve everything hehe!

i use the Mirena IUD.

However, I am not getting laid at the moment so it doesn't really matter now does it?  damn break ups.

Dear Karma Police,

When used correctly the fertility awareness is an incredibly effective form of birth control. It is not the rhythm method (which is based on the erroneous notion of the universal 28-day cycle), nor is it withdrawal (which does lower the odds of pregnancy, but is still ridiculously risky, though when used in conjuction with barrier methods does increase their effectiveness substantially). The Fertility Awareness Method (or FAM) is a powerful tool for taking control of your own fertility- simply the best way to avoid pregnancy and absolutely necessary if you want to effectively plan the timing of your pregnancy. It involves taking your temperature at the same time every day (basal body temp leaps up immediately following ovulation), checking cervical fluid changes (from sticky or pasty (unfertile) to wetter or stretchy (fertile)), and checking the cervical position (the cervix rises and softens during time of increased and full fertility and lowers again following ovulation). During fertile times (about seven days in theory, but more like 4-5 days for most people) a couple needs to abstain or use a barrier method. However, if a barrier method is used, then FAM becomes only as effective as the chosen barrier. Anyway, I'm just saying that using a natural, non-hormonal method like FAM is not a throw-back to the 50's, but rather a powerful tool for self-empowerment and respect for the amazing processes of female fertility which is a damn sight more complex than male fertility (sorry, guys!). Also, there are a lot of people like myself who cannot use hormonal methods for health reasons or choose not to because of the way it interferes with the natural processes of fertility. Anyway, even if you're not interested in it for birth control, it's critical knowledge when it comes to planning a pregnancy rather than leaving it up to chance.

Geez, sorry so long. This is just one of my things. It really peeves me how doctors, who often don't take this method seriously, have perpetuated the myth of the dangerous, mysterious fertility of women- saying things like you never know when you can get pregnant, or that natural methods are 'scary' or that they don't warrant being taken seriously. Nothing could be further from the truth. Increased knowledge is power. It's amazing the information that's been kept from us regarding the way the female body works. Ok, rant over! I just realized you might not even be a woman- Ha! sincerely, berry

Aw, shoot, I had a long reply written out and it got erased. I'll try to sum up:

If you're interested in learning more about FAM, I highly recommend Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. It's an excellent book that covers birth control, pregnancy, and menopause. One-stop-shopping, right.

This is a topic that I could rattle on about for days. I just want to say that I was amazed and angry when I read this book. Amazed because I was in awe of what the female body does every month. Angry because no one had ever told me any of this information. I mean, here I was walking around in a female body and I barely knew anything about how it worked. When I took sex-ed in the 6th grade, I was told that once I got my period I could get pregnant. That was it, no more. It is simply astonishing how complex the female reproductive processes are, and a shame that our culture doesn't embrace it and teach young girls about it. I think, for the most part, it's an inherited ignorance from generation to generation. We're not even aware for the most part of the knowledge we've lost. But girls grow up with the frightening sense that they can get pregnant all the time, or that their 'discharge' is gross when it's a vital indicator and component of fertility. Grrrrr. It just makes me so mad! Ok, I'm getting riled up again so I'm gonna cut myself off-- teehee. Thanks for letting me rant! berry

Oh right, of course. Forgot to mention that FAM is clearly only an option for monogamous couples who have been tested....berry

Berry, OUTSTANDING call to action for greater social acceptance of the female reproductive complexity. It is an outrage that women AND men alike are left to wallow in such ignorance of their own bodies, and that for all our society's supersaturation with sex we still keep taboo a basic physiological understanding as to how and why we are sexual in the first place.

I had lunch a few years ago in a cafe on the Boulevard St Germain with an infamous playboy in Paris, who had just been introduced to me by a mutual friend. We really hit it off and got to talking about all maner of things for an hour or two, until finally he I asked him the question that had been on my mind all that time. I asked him what his secret was with women. He finished his espresso and beckoned me closer, pulling his monogrammed black leather pocket diary out his Armani jacket inside breast pocket and asking me, "What do you know about a woman's fertility?"

"Um, that they... uh... that they go all nasty once a month?"

He looked pityingly at me from behind his Gauloise.

"Every woman is a symphony of hormones. A symphony of Mahler, seemingly never ending, always full of power but then gentleness, and stirring her senses and feelings with such force as to hold her very much under the spell of her body."

"Isn't that a little too... er... reductionist?"

He shot me a look that told me I had absolutely no right to be debating philosophy with a Frenchman on home turf, especially in the very cafe where Camus and Sartre had argued late into the night on absinthe over the possibility of free will.

"The time of menstruation is but one small part. She has evolved her irritability to spurn a man who clearly has failed to impregnate her. Or maybe not. What matters is not the particular reason but the effect this has for women... and men."

Dragging on his cig he continued, "Her body is rejecting an unfertilized ovum. She will become fertile again, and if not impregnated in the next month she will menstruate once more. This all happens, of course, over roughly 28 days. She is at her most fertile exactly mid-way between menses. This is when she is most likely to become pregnant. Her body knows this whether or not her mind knows this. Experience if not theory will therefore teach you that a woman is horniest between days 11 and 16 of her cycle. This is when she is likeliest to have sex if not in a regular relationship. Studies done by the Sorbonne right here in Paris also show that if you take all the woman in a nightclub on any given night, get random men to rate their degree of displayed sexual openness, and then determine the menstrual status of all these women, consistently the women described by men as appearing to be more sexually open and willing are at this most fertile phase of their cycle."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was like that first time your parents try to explain to you "when a man, um, loves a woman, and they, eh, they want to, uh, share this love..." Except in this case, this guy had no stammering reservations about imparting such carnal knowledge.

"So when a woman's body knows it is most fertile, at ovulation, women unconsciously find themselves out on the town, in high heels, a low-cut top, their hair looking fabulous, their make-up perfect, sidling up seductively to men with batting eyes, pouting lips, pushed up breasts and pushed out bums, not knowing that they are being willed by the hormonal manifestation of an evolutionary force compelling them to men at the opportune moment. And when they pass from his phase into menstruation, they will avoid men, and should only be approached by men who are there to shut up, listen and share some chocolate."

I was then amazed as he proceeded to show me his pocket diary, in which he had meticulously tracked the menstrual cycles of litearlly dozens and dozens of women, marking with a red pen their fertile/horny days and with a blue pen their menstrual/bitchy days. He told me that always knew when to come over for a booty-call or take her on a passionate date, but he also knew when to call a woman and softly tell her that he was just thinking of her and wanted to know how she was doing.

I was shocked and awed. Leave it to the French to spend more time planning their sex lives than holding a job.

Still, I was inspired, and to this day hold infinite reverence for the mystery and majesty of the female reproductive process! And it certainly hasn't hurt my chances with the ladies. cool.gif