Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucky girl

What products do you use with Roaccutane??

Whta products does everyone use on Roaccutane a) to combat the dryness and, b) to pamper yourself i.e. masks or facial treatments, or anything to help the healing process etc. Are there any that are gentle enough?

my derm gave me the following products:

Apaisac Restructuring Repair Lip Balm (it is used for damage of the labial mucosa caused by medical treatments - it's fragrance free, preservative free, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic)

Hyfac Plus Emulsifying Dermatological Cleansing gel (for young problem skin and oily skin - it helps to eliminate impurities and sebum excess - it's hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic)

Apaisac Non-Greasy Emollient and Restructuring Emulsion (for skin weakened or dried by dermatological treatment - hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic)

i wash and moisturise twice daily and use the lip balm almost continuously - it's great!

oh and i also use La Roche Possay Sunblock SPF 60 - the Fluide Extreme one not the Cream cause the cream makes the skin too oily ....................

Hi Julieta

Just wondering, are you in Australia? I haven't heard of these products so just wondering if you are and where you get them?

Vitamins & Supplements: Evening Primrose Oil (for hydration and control of sebum production); Ester-C (to help absorb Accutane and reduce appearance of red marks); Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root and Liver Cleansing Supplement (to protect my liver against the Accutane); Vitamin K (for bruises and scars); Iron (for Accutane-induced anemia); Vitamin B Complex (to regulate hormones which could be the cause of acne).

Facial Products: Simplicity is key here. You don’t want to use anything harsh on your face. I am a Cetaphil Girl but had a hard time with it at the beginning of my treatment due to the fact my skin never felt exactly clean and all moisturizers seemed to break me out. There are a lot of members with other preferences such as Oil of Olay.

Absolutely no facials. Estheticians lost favor with me months ago. Even if they are not performing a facial for acne-prone skin, they often use products with fragrances and that are not hypo-allergenic, not oil-free and that will clog your pores. Your skin is extremely delicate right now. You might not realize it but I assure you, it is. If you dry out your skin, the potential for scarring is great but the same can apply if you over-moisturize with the wrong stuff (bad acne+Accutane+wrong moisturizer=scars).

Lips: Aquaphor.

In General: Drink a ton of water. Being on Accutane is like being dehydrated 24/7: dry skin, chapped lips, dry eyes, headaches, etc. Drinking water can help alleviate a lot of these effects.

Vitamins & Supplements:  Evening Primrose Oil (for hydration and control of sebum production); Ester-C (to help absorb Accutane and reduce appearance of red marks); Milk Thistle, Dandelion Root and Liver Cleansing Supplement (to protect my liver against the Accutane); Vitamin K (for bruises and scars); Iron (for Accutane-induced anemia); Vitamin B Complex (to regulate hormones which could be the cause of acne).

Facial Products:  Simplicity is key here.  You don’t want to use anything harsh on your face.  I am a Cetaphil Girl but had a hard time with it at the beginning of my treatment due to the fact my skin never felt exactly clean and all moisturizers seemed to break me out.  There are a lot of members with other preferences such as Oil of Olay. 

Absolutely no facials.  Estheticians lost favor with me months ago.  Even if they are not performing a facial for acne-prone skin, they often use products with fragrances and that are not hypo-allergenic, not oil-free and that will clog your pores.  Your skin is extremely delicate right now.  You might not realize it but I assure you, it is.  If you dry out your skin, the potential for scarring is great but the same can apply if you over-moisturize with the wrong stuff (bad acne+Accutane+wrong moisturizer=scars).

Lips: Aquaphor.

In General: Drink a ton of water.  Being on Accutane is like being dehydrated 24/7: dry skin, chapped lips, dry eyes, headaches, etc.  Drinking water can help alleviate a lot of these effects.

Arpazia, thanks alot. Do you take the Vitamin B all month? What about zinc and vitamin E that I have heard some people are on? not necesary?? Is Esther C vitmain c? Also, I have taken Evening Primrose Oil before and it really broke me out. Would this be different when your oil production is changed by the Roaccutane?

do you also use Cetaphil moisturizer? you said you had trouble with finding the right moisturiser. How did you know that it was the moisturiser and not the Roaccutane that was breaking you out? that's where I get a bit confused, I just don't know what it is that is affecting me. I guess something gentle like Cetaphil would be the least likely to affect your skin.

Did you just go to the health food shop and discuss what you should take??

Aquaphor sound great. Does anyone know if it is available in Australia?

Thanks alot for advice

I take each one of these supplements every day. When I started to take Vitamin E, it made my skin breakout which is why I switched to Evening Primrose Oil. Everyone is different and has different reactions. If Evening Primrose Oil breaks you out, go for Vitamin E. The important thing here is to keep your body hydrated one way or another. Ester-C is a form of Vitamin C but supposedly it absorbs better. I know a lot of people say it doesn’t really make a difference which you take but I bought the bottle of Ester-C so I might as well finish it. I tried Zinc for a while but realized that I get enough Zinc in the foods I eat everyday so it wasn’t necessary.

Accutane changes your skin drastically from week to week so it is difficult to know if something you are using is causing breakouts or if it is your body reacting to the Accutane. Everyone needs to make that determination for themselves. In the beginning of my treatment, Cetaphil made my skin feel oily and greasy. I used Cleocin-T for the first part of my treatment. Now, months later, I’ve switched to Cetaphil with sun block and I need to apply this several times a day.

After trying Accutane for two months, I went off of the drug and decided to cure my acne holistically. I printed out a list of vitamins and supplements that are supposed to help with acne and brought it to the health food store. Together, the counter-guy and I discussed which supplements would be the best for my situation. Although none of these things cleared my skin, they helped tremendously with my complexion. In the end, I ended up going back on Accutane but haven’t stopped taking any of the vitamins and supplements. The only difference, is that I now buy everything at the drug store since it is so much cheaper. I might not be getting the best of the best but it still works.

I’m not certain if Aquaphor is available in Australia. If you are interested in trying it out, you can send me the money for the tub and postage and I will mail it to you.

Hi Julieta

Just wondering, are you in Australia?  I haven't heard of these products so just wondering if you are and where you get them?