Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yeah so, over the weekend I got really, really excited about going on Accutane finally. Turns out, my insurance doesn't cover it- and I basically can't afford a couple hundred dollars a month, plus my Dr visit ($50), and bloodwork (not sure of the cost)... So I dont think I can get on it at all. Which is severely depressing because right now I have a couple cysts- and just thinking about living with this forever and all the more red marks and scars Ill have- its just too much to even think about. Nothing ever can be easy, Ill tell you. Nevermind Accutane giving you depression and suicide idealation- How about NOT getting it when you need it?

I am going on accutane today, got my blood work all done and picked up my perscription.

My insurance covers part of accutane making it like $165 a month, however thats too much for us. So we asked about SOTRET, a generic form of accutane. It turns out that my insurance covers it and, since it is generic, will only cost $8.00 a month.

You are lucky- mine doesnt cover any acne prescriptions whatsoever. I didnt have any acne when I got this insurance a year ago- However, a few months into it- I started to develop cystic acne- and its showing zero signs of improvement... I need Accutane, and I dont think there's any way I can get it. (Id take generic if it was covered, but nothing is)

wow what crappy insurances do you have? I have Kaiser. Accutane... well, Sotret costs $10 a month.

My Insurance IS kinda crappy- but its moreso the plan that I have. I could probably get a different plan that covers it- but now I dont know if it will be considered a "pre-existing" condition with a new plan... Its so ridiculous.

call your derm, and tell him you need to make use of the 'accutane assitance program' which will get your all of your medication free. i believe that you must not have health insurance as one of the qualifications, so its a bit off for you. you have insurance, but it wont pay for cosmetic drugs, it sounds like. you can either bend the truth eusa_shhh.gif and say you have no health insurance, or drop your plan, take the course, then sign on with a new company. or just drop them, get the meds (i believe most, if not all, of the pills come at once) and get different insurance. or, you can rob a bank...but i wouldnt recommend it.

XXXpcXXX

call your derm, and tell him you need to make use of the 'accutane assitance program' which will get your all of your medication free. i believe that you must not have health insurance as one of the qualifications, so its a bit off for you. you have insurance, but it wont pay for cosmetic drugs, it sounds like. you can either bend the truth eusa_shhh.gif and say you have no health insurance, or drop your plan, take the course, then sign on with a new company. or just drop them, get the meds (i believe most, if not all, of the pills come at once) and get different insurance. or, you can rob a bank...but i wouldnt recommend it.

XXXpcXXX

Roach has a program you should look into also, http://www.rocheusa.com/programs/patientassist.asp“A qualified patient may enroll in the Roche Patient Assistance Program through his or her doctor and Roche will ship the prescription directly to the doctor's office, usually within 48 hours. To learn more about the Roche Patient Assistance Foundation and the individual product programs, call our toll-free number 1-877-75ROCHE (877-757-6243).�

My insurance did not cover my Accutane without a preauthorization from my derm, which she did do for me after I had already tried to get it filled. So I just had to pay my co-pay for my generic Accutane, Claravis.

I know that the appointments can be very expensive and then paying for the tane, is crazy. I would check into the Roach program.

Good Luck, my fingers are crossed for ya! biggrin.gif

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Im going to look into the programs. I really do hate my insurance. Apparently it doesnt pay for ANY acne medications. (I did self pay with my retin-a micro and doxy because it didnt cover it- but I thought it was just that it didnt cover those particular drugs....It doesnt cover ANY)

So, Maybe that will help or something..with the assistance program. Yeah- Robbing a bank probably wont be the smartest choice, though possibly the most thrilling.... lol

boohoo frank, that S-U-C-K-S!!!

i think these ideas sound good. i'm sure your dermo has some ideas too...

don't (or try not to...easier said than done...) let the dissapointment get you down. i'm pretty big into cliches these days (since i've FINALLY figured out what 'they' mean when 'they' say, "when it rains it pours".) so what i will say is: where there is a will, there is a way. i'm sure there is something you can do...

post script: accutane ain't all that. so far for me.

chin up, darling--what am i?? 75 years old??

Sometimes being a 75 year old trapped in a 20-something year olds body is totally adorable.

Yeah I know what you mean. When it rains, it POURS. I hope everything is going ok with you. I was so crushed when she said it wasnt covered. My voice must have dropped quite a bit, because the girl on the phone said "Well, Im really, very sorry..." lol- I was absolutely crushed.

Anyway- So things with Accutane aren't what you expected? Trust me- You arent in it that long, so you arent reaping the benefits just yet. You will, though. I promise. Itll just turn around before you even realize it and youll be clear. The first step is actually GETTING the damn drug- so you are already on your way. I havent even barely begun- and Im sure with my big-stupid-bad luck streak... Ill end up with a horrid initial breakout and scarring and the whole horrid journey... and Ill wish I never found a way to get it in the first place, etc... LoL (such a pessimist)

Just keep reminding yourself that you are in the early stages..and the early stages are the worst. Its gonna get better.

any news with the accutane blues??

here is my situation: i am into my 8th week and i am STILL getting cysts. the blackheads on my nose are STILL there. my glands are STILL swollen. what the STILL is up..haha...just wanted to STILL again.

what's weird is i thought i posted. but it didn't show. weird. o.

here is what i think i said:

any news with the not-getting-accutane blues?

i'm pissed because i am still with cyst. still with blackhead. still with swollen glands. and i thought i would be all done by now---week 8, yo. so you ain't missing anything over here, m'lady. but i hope you get the chance to sample this fine drug....is the sarcasm coming over loud and clear??? (it isn't to you...it's to the pill. on which i have become a pill.)

Lex-

Are you hinting that I should avoid this mofo of a drug altogether???

Week 8 isnt very much, its about 2 months.. In most cases it seems clearing starts around the 3rd..sometimes later... Dont worry just yet. You had a pretty high starting dosage, so of course you are going to feel the wrath of breakouts- its digging them up deep like ...crypt keeper deep. I think thats what Retin-A did to me, cuz those cysts were NASTY ones..they seemed to have small lifeforms in them building cities and schools for the new residents I'd be getting the next month during my breakout cycle. If Im going to have cysts, I might as well have educated cysts.

Anyways.. Yeah. Still getting cysts.. Now Im getting some new things, though. I have 2 red dots..one on my cheek, one on my chin... They arent quite zits..theres nothing *in* them...but they keep...peeling off, and theres like a hole. Its the weirdest thing ever.. I have a feeling its a crazy pore that Retin-A decided to play pinyata with. Ever had anytihng like that??? Im sick of breaking out, thats for DAMN sure.

I was breaking out until the 5th month. Then ovenright i stopped...since then i havnt had a single blemish, even in the week i was asked to not take my accutane by my doctor for something else.

hey franks: definitely not hinting that you shouldn't try to get accutane. i am still hopefull that it will work--for me AND YOU!!...

i am just having side effects that are annoying. like, here's a new one--after i ate lunch, i THREW UP...like in the middle, i had to get up and go to the bathroom. i was sick for like 20 minutes. what sucks is that i was having what was going to be my first "sit down" meal in a few days (my mother was in the hospital since sat early morning--i've been running around, class, hospital, class, etc this whole week). needless to say, i've been eating on the run and i wanted to treat myself to a relaxing lunch. well, that didn't work. it was werid, the first time ever i have thrown up right after eating. i think it is nerves and stress and anxiety. i kinda feel like i am falling apart. i am going to take a nap and hopefully will wake up refreshed later. (my mother is coming out today, so that's good)...

any news from the insurance company?

also, rocstar, thanks for letting me know that. i am a bit discuraged, so it is good to know that other peeps have also broken out well into their accutane course.

Lex-

Ok, Just checking..Cuz if you said DONT TAKE IT! ...I would not take it. lol. I trust you, chickadee.

Oh my gosh- Is mom ok!?! I hope so, and Im sure- because you said shes coming out, so thats wonderful news. I hope she is better as fast as possible.

Yeah throwing up....that is NEVER fun. Especially during eating.. That just, "takes the cake." (I am so...*rolls my eyes at myself*) But ya know- I think its stress, not so much Accutane. I think that stress plays a huge role in how our bodies react to things. Especially throwing up- thats a big time reaction. But like you said, youve just been running around and dealing with everything at once- and finally you sat down....had time to relax..and boom!

Stress. I am too. I have a derm appointment tonight. I wanna discuss all my options, unless she suggests another antibiotic..which I will not take. Im tired of this, though...and I really need to put an end to it. my skin is scarring, and it seems to just continually get worse as the time goes by. That usually is a surefire sign to start accutane if you are bold and brave. I want to avoid having to do major scar revision in the future. SO I need to do this NOW. Insurance still sucks by the way- I wanna look into the accutane assistance program. Altho with my luck, I wont be accepted and I am doomed.

Good luck,and feel better.. Keep me posted, ok!?