Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molks

what causes initial breakouts

Every cell within our body has receptors to receive instructions from biochemicals such as hormones telling it what to do.

Oil/sebaceous gland receptors are genetically oversensitive to stimulation by androgens in acne sufferers.

Androgens are male sex hormones, present in both males and females and elevated during adolescence for sexual maturation, in the week leading up to monthly menstruation, during times of stress, following an insulin spike from a sugar rush, and in individuals with adrenal gland dysfunctions creating constant fight-or-flight hormonal imbalances within the body, among other hormonally imbalancing triggers, life stages and situations.

When these circumstances apply to an individual with oil gland receptors overly sensitive to stimulation by such elevated androgen levels, acne almost invariably ensues, not least when compounded by excess skin cell shedding within the pilosebaceous unit (the pore/follicle containing the oil gland) and/or weak follicular walls.

So....

While Roche itself appears either professionally incompetent or strategically discreet in professing ignorance as to the precise nature of Ro/Accutane's mechanism of action in treating acne (which hardly inspires confidence), what appears to be known to dermatologists it that it triggers a particular biochemical effect on certain cell receptors, specifically targeting the hormone receptors of the oil/sebaceous glands. This has the physiochemical effect of more or less desensitizing the oil gland receptors to stimulation by androgens, thereby facilitating the atrophying, shrinking and drying up of the oil glands.

In a sense, Accutane is a synthetic and highly controlled form of vitamin A poisoning with, among many other noted side-effects, the resultant deliberate damaging of oil glands and with limited sebum excretion the further benefit of regulating previously excessive skin cell shedding within the pore otherwise resulting in sticky clumpy oily skin cell blockages within pores, i.e. acne whether papule (blackhead), pustule (whitehead) or cyst/nodule.

As the oil glands shrink and dry up, the narrowing and shortening of the glands excretes the last remaining abundance of oil from within. Furthermore, the glands initially respond to the sudden dryness of the skin, resulting from their own rapidly diminished oil producing capacity, via the natural and conditioned response of FURTHER increased oil production, resulting in a breakout. This breakout tends to resolve quickly enough and is usually the only one experience during the course (within the first 4-6 weeks) as by the time the oil glands begin stepping up production to such an extent as to produce a breakout the Accutane is already well underway cutting them back down to size. Sometimes the resilience of the oil glands is such that they persist with a further breakout/s during the course, though this occures in a minority of cases.

It is the oil glands dying attempt to deal with what they register as an emergency situation that results in a breakout that by most accounts is comparable to the most severe breakout you've ever had. Some (typically mild acne sufferers) experience no initial breakout, while for some it is mild, for others moderate, while others experience persistent severe breakouts throughout the course, though this is more or less positively correlated with the degree of severity of the acne prior to the course.

The milder your acne is, the milder the initial breakout will be (in addition to signalling a greater likelihood of remission and lesser likelihood of relapse after the course.)

Check out my thread The Accutane Equation for further info.

Best wishes,

Antony

does anyone know what causes the initial breakouts on roaccutane?

eusa_think.gif

yeah antony is right - genius!

well all i know is that for some people the initial breakout is hell and personally i wasnt really up to facing people

in fact i had to go out for easter lunch yesterday but ended up bailing out and stayed home watching a dvd instead

but dont let people get to you - try to move on and think of this as something you have to go through to make yourself beautiful

yeah antony is right - genius!

well all i know is that for some people the initial breakout is hell and personally i wasnt really up to facing people

in fact i had to go out for easter lunch yesterday but ended up bailing out and stayed home watching a dvd instead

but dont let people get to you - try to move on and think of this as something you have to go through to make yourself beautiful

do you have bad acne I am thinking of starting accutane and I am afraid to break out worse then I already am. Did you get worse like cysts if u did not have them?

one break out for a week or two is so worth clear skin later! Otherwise you're going to break out probably for years. I think the wise choice would be going on accutane.

do you have bad acne I am thinking of starting accutane and I am afraid to break out worse then I already am. Did you get worse like cysts if u did not have them?

i broke out (still am, kind of) really badly after one week--the worse i've ever had, but still limited to the areas where i broke out in the past (face only, not body or neck).  the kind of break-outs i got were also the same as i got before--pimples, whiteheads, smaller cysts. i didn't get anything worse than i've experienced before, just MORE of it!

some people do get worse types of acne than they ever had but i still wouldnt let this risk prevent you from getting Accutane if you're healthy.

Dont let the possibility of an initial break out scare you.  the way i'm seeing it, even though my face looks like hell from old spots, after a few weeks of torture, i will hopefully be rewarded with great skin for a long time, and i will no longer have to experiment and spend hundreds of dollars on creams, gels, and other garbage which dont work or only work for a short while.

True. I am on accutane right now. 2.5 months in. Right in my initial breakout. When I think it is calming down, it acts up a bit more. But nothing that's so over the top I can't take it. Just worse that before.

Just knowing that this is leading up to clear skin is what helps when dealing. If I had to do it again, I would. If it meant clear skin.

The only thing I don't like about my decision to take accutane, is that I waited this long. I could've been clear a long time ago and done with the initial breakout if I went on it sooner.

And the side effects have not been unbearable either. But I will not lie. They are there. Maybe I just haven't gotten them to the full affect yet.

We'll see. I say, if you have acne, go for the tane right now. You'll save so much time, money, dissapointment, and not to mention, confidence......

Good luck all!!

True. I am on accutane right now. 2.5 months in. Right in my initial breakout. When I think it is calming down, it acts up a bit more. But nothing that's so over the top I can't take it. Just worse that before.

Just knowing that this is leading up to clear skin is what helps when dealing. If I had to do it again, I would. If it meant clear skin.

The only thing I don't like about my decision to take accutane, is that I waited this long. I could've been clear a long time ago and done with the initial breakout if I went on it sooner.

And the side effects have not been unbearable either. But I will not lie. They are there. Maybe I just haven't gotten them to the full affect yet.

We'll see. I say, if you have acne, go for the tane right now. You'll save so much time, money, dissapointment, and not to mention, confidence......

Good luck all!!

I think I agree with you

I totally agree with zerofantasy, karen2906 and !!patience!! in that the feeling of knowing you're on your way to the clearest skin you've had since before you started touching yourself... it more than makes up for a temporary initial breakout!

At least, I hope I'll have the experience to back the theory. I start tomorrow ! ! !

You have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, so it's worth putting up with an initial breakout if it's a vital ingredient in the recipe for Parfaite a la Peau. Mmmmmmmmm.

So theoreticaly, if you have historically had mild to moderate acne, the breeakout may not be that bad??? What do you think about if you have been using Differin for the past couple of months and experienced a big breakout on that. Should that reduce the chance of a breakout on Roaccutane as I think Differin does a similar thing to oil production doesn't it?

Also, do you breakout in areas that you previously didn't have any acne?

So theoreticaly, if you have historically had mild to moderate acne, the breeakout may not be that bad???  What do you think about if you have been using Differin for the past couple of months and experienced a big breakout on that.  Should that reduce the chance of a breakout on Roaccutane as I think Differin does a similar thing to oil production doesn't it?

Also, do you breakout in areas that you previously didn't have any acne?

Oh OK so still psych myself up for the worst as it may happen. It is a bit scary as no two people have the same experience so it's like plunging into the unknown. I just went to get my bloods done and the lady who took it said that she has seen people end up with really beautiful skin after Roaccutane so that was encouraging.

What if you are taking an antibiotic to calm the breakouts from the Differin??/ I see my doctor on Thursday to hopefully start, but I'm sure she said that she will double up the Bactrim and the Roaccutane to try and minimize the breakout????? Could be confuese but has anyone done this and has it reduced the initial breakout??