Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nyygiants4444

For Teens -- Life Without Acne Rx: The Natural Route??

As a mild acne sufferer, I have always wondered whether or not my skin would be clear by now if i had stuck with just the normal OTC cleansers and maybe some BP. Im 18 and have been suffering with light-mild acne since i was 16.

It seems that all of my friends (my age) with mild acne have cleared up by now, and now im the only one who has to put up with keeping up with my face. They didnt take any pills and no prescription meds and they cleared up.

By the way, i am on Tazorac/Clindagel/Doryx for the past 16 weeks now. My face is just about clear but the questions always in my head are....

WHAT IF I DIDNT TAKE Rx MEDS FOR MY FACE AND JUST STAYED NATURAL WITH OTC MEDS? WOULD MY FACE CLEAR UP QUICKER THAN WITH Rx MEDS?

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT PRESCRIPTION ACNE MEDS CAN ACTUALLY ELONGATE/STOP THE PROCESS OF OUTGROWING ACNE (especially in teens)? -OR- DO PRESCRIPTION MEDS *ONLY HELP* THE NATURAL OUTGROWING OF ACNE?

Any input is appreciated. I've been wanting to know these answers!

Thanks!!

i dont think taking prescription medication would stop you outgrowing acne. my friend whos 18 has never took a prescription med for acne (her acne is not really really bad) and she has still got it four years later. i think medication just clears you up while you are taking them, which will help prevent more scaring.

There's no possible way to be able to tell. Every human is different, and everyone's acne will go away differently for each person. Maybe one person will outgrow it, but another person will never use medication and still have it late in their 30's. Then someone might use medication and acne will go away, but another person will use medication and still has acne. Every person is different, so you can't make this become an analysis. And in hindsight, you can easily say things would be different if you did plan B instead of plan A, but you didn't, so there's no way of telling what would have happened if you chose a different route.