Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SweetJade1980

WHY are we AVOIDING Grains???

Why are YOU avoiding Wheat, Gluten, Some, Most, or ALL Grains?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Why are YOU avoiding Wheat, Gluten, Some, Most, or ALL Grains?

• I'm Allergic (autoimmune rxn within 24 hrs)
    • I'm Intolerant (an enzyme defficiency results in rxn 24 hrs - 2 weeks) Ex: Gluten Intolerance / Celiac Disease
    • Gives me Candida / Systemic Yeast Infection
    • Skin Diabetes (Increased blood sugar in the Skin Cells ONLY, may fuel bacteria or other microorganisms' OR the body's inflammatory response)
    • Insulin Resistance - Hormone - Acne Connection (same as Skin Diabetes only systemwide)
    • Has Processed/Refined Ingredients (Ex: Trans Fats, High Fructose Corn Syrup, etc)
    • Most of the above
    • Other
    • I don't avoid ANY grains

OK, the above are simplified versions of theories proposed on these boards as to why we, those of us that do, avoid at least certain grains. However, due to my own increased awareness of how my body reacts to added sugars, especially fructose sugars, others objections over the avoidance of grains, and the slow realization that when I avoid Gluten, I'm also avoiding refined/processed ingredients, I''ve been wondering what is the real reason for most of us.

So here's the thing, based on your answer, would you please elaborate how you know that is 100% the reason for why you do what you do.

I can honestly answer, that I can't say that Gluten, I'm not intolerant, is 100% the reason for me. Like I mentioned above, when I avoided gluten I also avoided Trans Fats, added sugars, High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), and Dairy that was found in prepared Gluten Grain products. I didn't realize this until a few people mentioned that by giving up the white bread products, etc we were also avoiding other ingredients that are also classified as "refined" or "acne culprits".

Now, in my defense, I didn't know because up until almost 3 years ago, I was generally never a label reader. When I became an avid label reader, initially it was just to avoid gluten grains. When I saw that doing so alonegot me at 95% clear, I started experimenting & indulging in other foods and slowly I started to realize that I couldn't have other ingredients & foods, like Soda (had avoided it for 10 years prior with no luck and thought since gluten was the answer, I could try to have soda again), but I quickly found out how untrue that was. Then over a year ago I realized that by periodically consuming cracker jacks, I would breakout periodically. I thought well, it must be the Corn Syrup (just as bad as HFCS) and if it's the corn syrup in the Cracker Jacks, then it must have been the Corn Syrup in the Sodas, the non-100% fruit Juices, the ketsup, the worstechire sauce, the salad dressings, deli/packaged meats, pasta sauce, gum, etc. That's when I finally decided to take a look at my parents bread box and.....corn syrup or HFCS was also listed (along with "sugar' or honey, and sometimes trans fats).

WOW, I honestly & truly never knew that "refined/processed" foods could have so many unfavorable ingredients in them that could give me acne (and others health problems). I mean I knew to an extent, but I what I'm trying to say is that I didn't know just how MANY companies used those ingredients and how OFTEN they used them!!! In this case, more specifically I didn't know just how many foods & condiments out there contained heavily Fructose Sweetened products =/

Sure refined & natural added sugars, such as "sugar", evap. cane sugar, brown rice syrup, honey, etc affect me a wee bit by giving me "sugar pimples" (whiteheads, small pimples or pustules) that show up and disappear within 2 - 3 days. I'm quite sensitive to this type of sugar and as little as 4g/serving of this type will give me a few (1-5) "sugar pimples"

Yet if I, and some others around here, consume Fructose Based Sweeteners (Fructose/Levulose, Fruitrim, Fructan, 100% Fruit Juice w/no fiber, Corn Syrup, HFCS, & Agave Nectar), I will breakout in the most stubborn cystic or nodular acne that lasts me 2 - 4 weeks!

So if you can't guess where I'm headed, I'm wondering if for a percentage of us, if it's not the grains (sprouted or not), but whether it's the ADDED sugar in the grain products. After all, we avoid added sugar in other foods, so what if that's the REAL reason we've found success in avoiding grains???

After all, regardless of the carbohydrate content, I can consume most fruits, vegetables, white or brown rice, and non-gluten grains....but they don't contain any added sugar. I eat a lot of carbohydrates in the form of fruits, more than I used to and at this point I'm 99%+ clear. I can eat 34g/serving of raisens and no acne, but give me at least 4g/serving of table sugar and sugar pimples results. Give me 15g - 34g carbs of 100% fruits juice, non-100% Fruit Juice, Soda containing Fructose Sweetners, and cystic acne results. Admittedly with whole grains, fruits, veggies, there's the type of starch & fiber content, but it's like only 1 - 4 g of soluble fiber, is that really enough to handle 34 grams of sugar?

My personal experience, at least after consuming Fructose Based sweeteners, while I'm taking Benefiber (1 - 3g) is that it is not enough. However in all fairness, what if I need to make sure that I take at least 3g or moreof benefiber and see if more soluble fiber is enough to handle fructose or other added sugars....Hmm.

(see next post)

So based on all of the above, I’m wondering what your experiences have been. I know that when I think about all of this, several thoughts come to mind:

What if it’s not Wheat/Gluten/Grains that’s the problem but it’s the WAY they are prepared (it’s like the “it’s not the cocoa but it’s the way the chocolate candy bar is prepared� defense) ?

What if we just need to consume only Sprouted Whole Grain products (with no added gluten)?

What if it’s just that we need to consume more Soluble Fiber when eating added sugars?

What if it’s just that we need to consume foods that have a higher Amylose Starch Content (amylose is digested slower than amylopectin)?

What if we can only handle more soluble fiber in combination with table sugar, but not in combination with heavily fructose based sweeteners?

Can anyone answer these questions for me without any doubt?

I can’t.

Has anyone honestly sat down and looked at the reasons why their reduction or avoidance of grain products has been so successful for them?

I usually say that my first reason for giving up gluten is because it’s an easier way for me to carbohydrate count (without having to count) or "low - moderate carb it", except when you look at whole grain wheat in it’s purest form, as pasta (grain & water), it has a carbohydrate count similar to whole grain brown rice pasta 30g – 56g. There’s no difference. Can anyone eat whole grain wheat pasta with no problems? (dont' forget to take into account the meat and pasta sauce used as packaged/refined/natural versions usually add hfcs, trans fats, etc)

Granted, as the polls shows, there’s definitely other reasons & theories why certain grains are problematic for some members, but staying purely along the lines of the theory that it’s the "added sugar", how many members here, actually ate 100% unrefined Whole grain bread? Unrefined in this case, meaning non bleached/stripped and it didn’t have any added sweeteners of any type and was primarily nothing but Whole grain wheat, sat, & water?

OK, then how many members here ate 100% Whole grain bread that was sweetened with only evaporated cane sugar/juice/syrup, brown rice syrup, or honey?

I can not answer those questions, because I didn’t do any of the above. Again, I didn’t even realize that they added sugar, let alone fructose sugars, to my sandwich bread products until over a year ago! How sad huh? LOL, yet because I realize this now, usually when someone asks, I encourage them to first try and remove ALL refined grain products & foods from their diet and this would include added sugars, especially high fructose corn syrup.

Unfortunately, doing so is still a hard task to do, as once again, these sugars are in most prepared foods, but not all. Yet, if that is all most members have to do, then more people would be open to dietary changes as there are breads made without added sugars and breads made with only brown rice syrup. The problem is that most of these breads aren’t available at our local grocery stores but at Natural/Organic Food Stores or through Mail Order. Oh and of course as with other meals, members could always bake their own bread, but if that’s all most members had to do, it wouldn’t be as hard or as much of a “sacrifice� compared to what myself and others are currently doing, right?

So I would love to hear your thoughts, your methods, and whether you know without a doubt that it is wheat, etc that was the problem in your diet. After all, even the scientific studies don’t always specify the ingredients used in their bread products, so what if they left other confounding factors (sugars, trans fats, dairy) in those studies as well? What if this is the reason that wheat or gluten seem to be come up unfavorably in regards to their insulin stimulating, thus acne increasng abilites?

Thanks eusa_angel.gif

Gosh, where to begin? I knew a long time ago to avoid processed foods, but I never made the connection with acne because allll the doctors said acne isn't made worse by diet. I think there is a huge connection, but am still searching to find out all I can find.

I don't think it is the wheat grain per say, or the rice grain per say. I think it is the refinement. There is such a difference between a piece of Sugar Busters Multigrain Loaf or Sprouted Grain bread and the usual school cafeteria roll we all used to eat all mushed up in our hands, (I can smell 'em now) or a pizza crust, or a McDonald's hamburger bun or a bagel. But many people don't understand the difference, so it is best to say - avoid breads. I have watched labels for years and am still fooled many times. So, for the newbie out there trying to figure out what to eat it is just a lot easier to say - no wheat.

I also think that when people eat bread, they are often foregoing a healthier alternative. It is so easy to have toast for breakfast, bread on a sandwich for lunch, rolls with supper than to prepare a vegetable. We, in our house, have found that by not depending on bread we are forced to eat more veggies.

"And this I know, moreover, that to the human body it makes a great difference whether the bread be fine or coarse; of wheat with or without the hull, whether mixed with much or little water, strongly wrought or scarcely at all, baked or raw- and a multitude of similar differences. Whoever pays no attention to these things, or, paying attention, does not comprehend them, how can he understand the diseases which befall a man? For, by every one of these things, a man is affected and changed this way or that, and the whole of his life is subjected to them, whether in health, convalescence, or disease. Nothing else, then, can be more important or more necessary to know than these things."

Hippocrates, On Ancient Medicine (c. 400 B.C.E.)

I don't think it is the wheat grain per say, or the rice grain per say.  I think it is the refinement.  There is such a difference between a piece of Sugar Busters Multigrain Loaf or Sprouted Grain bread and the usual school cafeteria roll we all used to eat all mushed up in our hands, (I can smell 'em now) or a pizza crust, or a McDonald's hamburger bun or a bagel.  But many people don't understand the difference, so it is best to say - avoid breads.  I have watched labels for years and am still fooled many times.  So, for the newbie out there trying to figure out what to eat it is just a lot easier to say - no wheat. 

I also think that when people eat bread, they are often foregoing a healthier alternative.  It is so easy to have toast for breakfast, bread on a sandwich for lunch, rolls with supper than to prepare a vegetable.  We, in our house, have found that by not depending on bread we are forced to eat more veggies. 

"And this I know, moreover, that to the human body it makes a great difference whether the bread be fine or coarse; of wheat with or without the hull, whether mixed with much or little water, strongly wrought or scarcely at all, baked or raw- and a multitude of similar differences. Whoever pays no attention to these things, or, paying attention, does not comprehend them, how can he understand the diseases which befall a man? For, by every one of these things, a man is affected and changed this way or that, and the whole of his life is subjected to them, whether in health, convalescence, or disease. Nothing else, then, can be more important or more necessary to know than these things."

Hippocrates, On Ancient Medicine (c. 400 B.C.E.)

The problem is that most of these breads aren’t available at our local grocery stores but at Natural/Organic Food Stores or through Mail Order

I'm not sure why my acne has just about disappeared now i've stopped eating REFINED grains. It just has.

At this point I'm guessing my body doesn't process them correctly and thus cause my sebum canals to get clogged (due to water retention?).

I really need to try experimenting with whole grains to experiment a bit. [edit] I felt the need to edit this sentence merely to add the noun experiment and verb experimenting once more to to make this paragraph sound a little odder. Thanks. [/edit]

I'm not sure why my acne has just about disappeared now i've stopped eating REFINED grains. It just has.

At this point I'm guessing my body doesn't process them correctly and thus cause my sebum canals to get clogged (due to water retention?).

I really need to try experimenting with whole grains to experiment a bit. [edit] I felt the need to edit this sentence merely to add the noun experiment and verb experimenting once more to to make this paragraph sound a little odder. Thanks. [/edit]

This has been on my mind recently, as well. I’ve been trying to figure out exactly whether it’s the whole grain causing my random break-outs or the added sweetener that I infrequently ingest. As far as bread, I eat only Ezekial 4:9 sprouted grains bread or Hemp sprouted grains bread. I have been 100% clear for 2 weeks while eating 2 slices of one of these breads every day. But then there are weeks where my face breaks out while eating the same way (or so I thought). You would expect me to break out “all the time� from eating sprouted bread, if they are a problem.

I also notice that I don’t break out from yams, which doesn’t make sense considering the high carb content. So maybe it’s not the whole grains themselves, but the way they’re processed that makes them acnegenic. Maybe when I do break out, it’s not the # carbs in the whole grains I eat, but the added sugar/HFCS I eat in the chicken marinade, turkey jerkey, or 87% dark chocolate. I love dried fruit, but have avoided them like the plague after hearing their glycemic loads. Now sweetjade says she eats raisons without problems. Maybe it’s not the glycemic values necessarily but the refinement/processing of the sugars?

This has been on my mind recently, as well.  I’ve been trying to figure out exactly whether it’s the whole grain causing my random break-outs or the added sweetener that I infrequently ingest.  As far as bread, I eat only Ezekial 4:9 sprouted grains bread or Hemp sprouted grains bread.  I have been 100% clear for 2 weeks while eating 2 slices of one of these breads every day.  But then there are weeks where my face breaks out while eating the same way (or so I thought).  You would expect me to break out “all the timeâ€? from eating sprouted bread, if they are a problem. 

I also notice that I don’t break out from yams, which doesn’t make sense considering the high carb content.  So maybe it’s not the whole grains themselves, but the way they’re processed that makes them acnegenic.  Maybe when I do break out, it’s not the # carbs in the whole grains I eat, but the added sugar/HFCS I eat in the chicken marinade, turkey jerkey, or 87% dark chocolate.  I love dried fruit, but have avoided them like the plague after hearing their glycemic loads.  Now sweetjade says she eats raisons without problems.  Maybe it’s not the glycemic values necessarily but the refinement/processing of the sugars?

thank you sweetjade, for yet another great post that facilitates the sharing of valuable knowledge.

as far as my experience with grains - i only eat brown basmati rice and quinoa. i was eating oatmeal for breakfast 2-3x a week and recently gave that up and seem to have noted even further improvement of my skin (though too soon though to make definite oatmeal connection). my intuition tells me my main acne problem IS the refined bread products, HFCS, added crap to most 'wheat' containing products.

i'm entering my 10th week of no dairy, no refined/processed foods, no sugar, no wheat which has resulted in a slow and steady clearing for me. i'm currently at 98% clear - was hovering around 95% clear with the oatmeal in my diet.

i'm now moving into the next phase where i'll begin adding a few foods in attempt to better understand what exactly my trigger foods are. i'm starting with small amounts of sugar (considering we have an abundance of easter candy in the house - THANKS a LOT to grandma).

however, i'm also increasing my exercise (45-60 minutes daily aerobic, some light weights) so this MAY offset the small amounts of sugar? i'm buying into the theory that exercise will help metabolize the added glucose.

after experimenting with sugar, i plan to experiment with small amounts of dairy (like, ice cream! i can live without the rest). and lastly, i MAY experiment with wheat/bread products, but doubtful. i'll never go back to the ridiculous amounts of refined/processed products i once ate (80% of my diet). and i believe that dairy aggrevated my sinus problems, so that'll likely be permanently eliminated for me too. we're entering spring here in the northeast, with lots of wet weather that normally would give me excruciating sinus headaches - and to date, since the new diet - i've had NONE!!

thank you sweetjade, for yet another great post that facilitates the sharing of valuable knowledge. 

as far as my experience with grains - i only eat brown basmati rice and quinoa.  i was eating oatmeal for breakfast 2-3x a week and recently gave that up and seem to have noted even further improvement of my skin (though too soon though to make definite oatmeal connection).  my intuition tells me my main acne problem IS the refined bread products, HFCS, added crap to most 'wheat' containing products. 

i'm entering my 10th week of no dairy, no refined/processed foods, no sugar, no wheat which has resulted in a slow and steady clearing for me.  i'm currently at 98% clear - was hovering around 95% clear with the oatmeal in my diet. 

i'm now moving into the next phase where i'll begin adding a few foods in attempt to better understand what exactly my trigger foods are.  i'm starting with small amounts of sugar (considering we have an abundance of easter candy in the house - THANKS a LOT to grandma). 

however, i'm also increasing my exercise (45-60 minutes daily aerobic, some light weights) so this MAY offset the small amounts of sugar? i'm buying into the theory that exercise will help metabolize the added glucose. 

after experimenting with sugar, i plan to experiment with small amounts of dairy (like, ice cream! i can live without the rest).  and lastly, i MAY experiment with wheat/bread products, but doubtful.  i'll never go back to the ridiculous amounts of refined/processed products i once ate (80% of my diet).  and i believe that dairy aggrevated my sinus problems, so that'll likely be permanently eliminated for me too.  we're entering spring here in the northeast, with lots of wet weather that normally would give me excruciating sinus headaches - and to date, since the new diet - i've had NONE!!

High-gluten foods make my stomach blow up like a balloon almost instantly. --that is why I avoid them. The rest of the (almost constant normally) bloating goes away when I strictly avoid gluten-containing foods for a week (which I rarely have the self control to do). I also seem to have to avoid potatoes as well to get rid of the bloating and I'm not really sure why. I'm fine with sugar though. biggrin.gif

Hi all, I am following the blood type diet, when I do, I am less bloated, less

intestinal symptoms. I had awful acne as a teen, now my teens have their

varying degrees of acne. Most of them have O blood type, so grains are not

so good for them. We don't totally avoid them, but I make mostly rice as

a grain. I don't buy bagels anymore except for once in a blue moon. What I want

to say is that I also visit the curezone website forums. On their acne forum,

someone had success on a grain free diet. He has come back to say that he thinks

it also has to do with healing a leaky gut. My "gut" reaction is that there is a

connection. When we avoid grains, it helps to heal the gut. When the gut is leaky,

stuff leaks into the blood that should not be there, making the liver's job harder.

I agree that this is probably a big part of the problem. Here's a link to the forum,

and read Arkantos's posts.....http://www.curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=333

Like most of you I really have no idea why I eat what I do and why it works or doesn't work. I'm not even entirely sure that what I eat is the best that I could be eating and chances are I know less than alot of you.

I lift and go through alot of protein every day, so my diet is much more abnormal than the average person's. I've noticed that although sodas and such play a large role in my acne, not all wheat products break me out that bad. For instance, I go through a ton of whey powder a day (pwo shakes alone are 100g for me), and yet my face isn't covered in acne like it would be if I drank sodas. On the contrary, it seems to have little to no effect on my face. Additionally, I take in alot of sugar in the form of maltodextrin and dextrose. These should destroy my face, and yet they don't seem to like sodas do. Speaking of sodas, for some reason coke and other dark sodas break me out pretty bad, while sprite and 7up have a minimal effect on my face.

Additionally, spicy foods tend to break me out, which is just odd and something I have never heard from anyone else. Simply getting overheated or worked up also seems to break me out, although exercising or playing basketball actually seems good for my skin.

It's possible that I'm misinterpreting all of this, but this is just what I've noticed.

Anyway, this might all be useless, but I figured I'd chip in with my own experiences.

j