Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
berry

Thinking of going off accutane...

Hey folks,

I've been on accutane for 5 months at 40 mg. I weigh 135. I have 15 pills left and it may seem odd that I'm considering going off at this point, but I just feel that I can't stand it anymore. I have had pretty severe eye irritation since the second month and I honestly feel I can't take another day of it. If it weren't for this particular side effect, I wouldn't even consider cutting short my time. Anyway, do you all think that 15 days will really impact my chances for long-term remission? I don't want to compromise my chances, but I'm very concerned about permanent eye dryness, not to mention I'm very uncomfortable physically. I have now been completely clear for one month. I really need some advice from other taners. All thoughts are appreciated, berry

TO me it is not worth the risk of stopping, you only have a few left, would it really hurt to stop? Probably not, but I would take them to have the feeling that I did everything in my power for acne to not come back. If you cannot stand it anylonger then stop, don't put yourself thru anything that causes you grief, just remember what it feels like to have acne.

Good luck with your choice and congrats on making it so far and having clear skin!!! eusa_clap.gif

If I were you, I'd keep taking those pills, but not daily. maybe 40 mg twice a week? just to reduce the side effects, AND to keep your acne from coming back. Obviously, you don't wanna go through a second round of accutane.

Guest Craigems

do what your told and take your med!, ring your derm up and then sort it out with him. I think thats the best option.

Craigems, my derm is ok with me stopping. As long as the patient reaches 100mg/kg (as opposed to 120), he seems happy. I reached it today. The concern is entirely mine. I want to get the most out of this round of accutane as there will definitely not be another. The eye problem has been at times (including now) almost excrutiating. My opthalmologist has also informed me that he has seen cases of permanent dryness, and mine is presently worse than normal. Grrr, just not sure what to do. I'm obsessively debating at present! berry

Guest Craigems

have you been putting eyedrops in every day since the dryness occured?

Ah, yeah. I believe I've officially tried everything under the sun by now, including an eyedrop that my opthalmologist told me is considered a breakthrough in terms of eyedrops. Drops that perfectly mimic the makeup of human tears. Of course, I can't remember the name of them now (something by Refresh, I believe). I would say I put in eyedrops about every two hours on average, though when it's really bad, maybe every twenty minutes or so. I'm not sure why, but some of my dryness symptoms have worsened in the month since my acne cleared up. My nose is bloody all the time now and the eyes have become just insanely uncomfortable. Not sure why this all worsened when everything else was getting better. Odd. Anyway, at this point I just fear that I'm contributing to permanent damage as far as my eyes are concerened. No real way to tell until I go off, unfortunately. sigh, berry

Guest Craigems

yeh because i have spoken to my optomotrist on this issue, and he was like yeh its cool, you cant get perminant eye damage from the tane, just make sure they are lubricated when they feel dry so you dont scratch the eyeball.

Thats why i'm asking, coz i get allergic eyes.

Ah, yeah. I believe I've officially tried everything under the sun by now, including an eyedrop that my opthalmologist told me is considered a breakthrough in terms of eyedrops. Drops that perfectly mimic the makeup of human tears. Of course, I can't remember the name of them now (something by Refresh, I believe). I would say I put in eyedrops about every two hours on average, though when it's really bad, maybe every twenty minutes or so. I'm not sure why, but some of my dryness symptoms have worsened in the month since my acne cleared up. My nose is bloody all the time now and the eyes have become just insanely uncomfortable. Not sure why this all worsened when everything else was getting better. Odd. Anyway, at this point I just fear that I'm contributing to permanent damage as far as my eyes are concerened. No real way to tell until I go off, unfortunately.  sigh, berry

Ride26,

Oh man, you STILL have dry eyes??? That really freaks me out. Are you unable to wear contacts now? or did you ever in the first place? I would hate not to be able to wear my contacts again after all this.

Can you tell me more about how dry your eyes are now? thanks a bunch, berry

Hey berry... congrats on being clear for a whole month!! Wow, I'm so jealous!

I'd finish your prescription, but slowly, like someone else suggested. Maybe take 2-3 pills a week or something... so at least you're keeping some Tane in your system, but your side effects should ease off a bit. But if you've been clear for a month already, that's a pretty good sign!

Is it Refresh Tears by Allergan that you use? That's the one I have.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mae

Berry

I have looked at this forum for a while and have been a member of other acne forums. I literally just joined acne.org due to the surprising responses coming from other people about your issue.

Hopefully you have stopped taking accutane by now, but I have 3 pieces of advice I think you should seriously consider.

1) If your eyes are that unbearable, and your skin is clear, go off accutane now!

2)for all of those who think that 2 weeks worth of pills will make a difference in its long term effects, you are all seriously mistaken. The life of your clear skin will almost surely be the same whether you stop accutane now or continue for 2 weeks. 2 weeks of accutane will not be the difference between clear skin for a year and clear skin forever. If your acne is going to eventually come back, it will come back regardless of how many of those last 15 pills you take.

3)some of you who give accutane advice need to read up on some of the boards that go more into the dangerous side of accutane, about its real life long term destructive side affects. Sacrificing the health of your eyes is not worth the extra 2 weeks. You dont want to be one of the people who suffers from accutane side affects forever.

For anyone who is on accutane, any type of unbearable side affect is more than enough reason to go off the drug. It has both huge upsides and huge downsides.

Just to qualify my advice, despite this being only my first post, I finished my first accutane course about a year and a few months ago, so i have been through all the accutane issues. It worked well for me but my acne did slowly come back. It has been much more treatable post accutane, so even if accutane doesnt permanently clear up your skin, you can look forward to much better success rates with antibiotics/otc stuff. Even after over a year I still have managed to do great without taking oral antibiotics.

anyways, dont hurt yourself. stop taking accutane. your skin is clear, let your eyes heal.

i have a bad side effect too flushing and my face burning about two hours in the day, So i think that every month to stop taking the pills

im going to began my last month of accutane from 7 on 40mgs a day too

and i am free from acne for 4 months now but i m going to keep going

because if they come back im not going to do another course of tane

Good luck and try to take them

Hi Berry-

I am having the same issues. I am completely clear, have been for 3 months. I have 15 days worth of pills left to take. Im in my last month and would be close to finished right now but it's so hard to take them. I got so dry and the corners of my mouth were cracking over and over again. They still are but not nearly as bad. Thats not even the issue really though. The issue is my mood, my motivation, a little hair loss, DRY DRY hair, which I can't stand since im fanatical about my hair, body aches, stuff like that. Like the 'tane has just taken SUCH a toll on my body and it sucks. Anyways, im still taking my pills but not consistantly like I was. I mean i'll go a few days without if I don't remember or if I seem too dry. I too have the dry eye issues but its not nearly as bad as yours. I'd say keep it up. And even if it means you're prolonging your treatment, just try to finish, thats what im doing. And good luck. Listen to your body and just try your best! Glad to hear you're clear!

Hey Mae,

The eyedrops are Refresh Endura, which are not as easy to find as all the other versions of Endura that are out there. Having tried everything, including ointment at night (ick), I can honestly say that the Endura are the best. However, they are expensive (16 bucks) and with the way I use eye drops, I simply could not afford that every month so I had to go back to less effective, but less expensive drops. They come in small dose packages, 30 to a box and I could EASILY use two in a day. Anyway, if cost is not an issue, I would really recommend these. They're absolutely wonderful and never sting. berry

Ride26,

Oh man, you STILL have dry eyes??? That really freaks me out. Are you unable to wear contacts now? or did you ever in the first place? I would hate not to be able to wear my contacts again after all this.

Can you tell me more about how dry your eyes are now? thanks a bunch, berry

First off, thank you everyone for adding your input to this discussion. I've taken all of your comments into consideration while trying to decide what to do. My plan, at the moment, is to finish out the week on accutane. This means I will have taken 5 months and one week as opposed to the 5 months and two weeks that I technically could take. At this point, I'm having such intense eye irritation that its hard to open my eyes around sunlight. It's getting a tad ridiculous. I'm ready to be done and I doubt that one week will make or break my remission. My acne has always been mild to moderate so I'm praying that I will see fairly permanent results. Everyone wish me luck and thank you again for your ideas. berry